The Family Dinner

When You Were Sleeping

 

“We’re home!!”

Hyung greeted us with hands crossed. His eyes narrowed at us and he looked like he was going to lecture us tonight.

“Did I tell you to go home early? We have a family dinner tonight.”

Yoojin and I stared at each other and ran towards our room to change our clothes. We forget that tonight we’ll attend the big family dinner where we’ll meet all Jeong Family members. We couldn’t get along very well with the other since they always think that we’re outsiders, though they're right about that.

 

“We’re ready!”

Yoojin and I dressed in our formal wears that matches with each other. Hyung sighed at us and told us to enter the car. Along the way Yoojin and I tried to make ourselves relaxed before the family dinner. We talked about certain things, and joked with each other to make hyung not too tense.

We arrived in a very famous hotel in the downtown of Seoul. We held each other’s hands and stepped inside the hotel. As soon as we entered the place where they held the dinner, we’re greeted with pairs of judging eyes. Hyung and I were okay with that. We never listen to their stupid comments about us, but Yoojin’s fight with Principal Kwon and her scar really bother her. I held her hands tightly and told her to be strong.

 

“Yunho!”

 

We stopped our steps because of an ahjumma. She’s one of most annoying ahjumma in the family. She never stops comment on what we do, what we wear, how we behave, etc. I hate her most, seriously…

“I heard what happened to you and your previous girlfriend.” She said as she stared at Yoojin in a strange way.

“It was an misunderstanding.” Hyung said.

“You raised a fighter, Yunho.” She said as she stared at Yoojin. Yoojin looked down and held my hear tighter. She walked towards Yoojin. “Long time no see, Yoojin. I heard you got…” she stared at her forehead and trying to make her feel down by look at her scar. I stopped her by covered her forehead with my hand. “She’s allright.” I said.

“Let me see her scar,” she said in a sharp voice. Her eyes narrowed at me and tried to scare me, but I can’t. I’ve promised.

“I can’t, I’m sorry.” I said as I bowed at her with my hand still covered her forehead.

“YUNHO! Look at this boy behavior!”

Hyung bowed at her. “I am sorry, but we have to do this.”

She looked so angry and left us immediately. We let out a sigh of relief. “Gwaenchanha?” we asked Yoojin. Yoojin shook her head. Hyung pulled her and gave her a hug. “We’ll protect you, gwaenchanha…”

Hyung chose an empty table that is separated with the other family members for us. However some of our cousins approached us. And they were girls… We have to protect her again…

 

“We heard you fight against a principal, is that true?” one of them asked. Yoojin nodded. “We also heard that you got scar, we’re here to recommend you a very good doctor that can make your scar disappear in instant!”

Yoojin smiled at them and shook her head. “Gwaenchanha, I will never go under the knife.” She said.

“Come on! Scar on face is every girl’s shame! You cannot rely on makeup only!” they insisted. Aish! These people are totally annoying! I wonder how hyung can survive with these people?!

“I’m fine.” Yoojin smiled at them.

“But still, you should…”

I cut their words. “Both scar and plastic surgery is shame for every girls, and maybe boys.” I said. “Do you know why a lot of people insist that they are not go under the knife though they really do? They are ashamed of the fact that they are ugly and choose plastic surgery to make themselves pretty.”

“We not feel ugly or ashamed,” they said.

“Then you have no shame.” I said and got up from my seat. Aish! I need some fresh air.

“How rude!”

 

Changmin got up from his seat and went somewhere. I moved to the seat near Yoojin. She kept quiet since we met Ahjumma SiYool. “I’m sorry, Yoojin-ah..” I said as I held her hand.

“Gwaenchanha…” Yoojin smiled at me. “They just want to see this…” she said as she showed me her scar. She didn’t put any makeup on her scar. I covered it with my hand. “Gwaenchanha, you don’t have to show it.” I said. “You scared of these people, I know that. My father is the oldest son, and the fact that he doesn’t have son is shame. The fact that he adopts me as his son is another shame. When they found that I am the son from the poor woman he loved, another shame.” I smiled bitterly at the fact I’ve just told her. “It doesn’t matter actually. I still remember when I was at your age I insisted to not attend this family dinner, but my father told me that it doesn’t matter how many times they make you down and sad. It doesn’t matter how many times they make you feel left out. The only one thing that you have to know is that they don’t know anything about you. They live in disguise, and their life is just too mainstream. They want to live out of line like us, but they can’t because they listen to what people say about them.”

“Gomawo,” she smiled with her chin up. “I agree with you about their life is just too mainstream!” she said as she punched my shoulder lightly.

“That’s my Yoojinie!” I said as I messed up with her bangs.

“If they ask me to show them my scar, I wouldn’t mind.” She winked at me and got up from her seat. She approached Changmin and started to talk with the others. I watched them from a far and Changmin seemed really shock to see Yoojin who showed her scar confidently. Changmin stared at me and I told him that it’s okay. People stared at Yoojin like they shocked to see her confident with her scar. They cannot live like us, the only one person from this family that live unlike these people is my father.

 

“You make her confidence back, son.”

 

My father tapped my shoulder and sat beside me. We watched Yoojin and Changmin surrounded by their ‘cousins.’

“They do better than you,” Ahbeoji said. “You shouldn’t take the matchmaking thing that your mother set as serious thing. She has nothing to do since her surgery.”

“I don’t know why mom trying to make my ex girlfriend back to me. I think she doesn’t understand why I put ‘ex’ before the ‘girlfriend’ word.” I laughed a bit.

“Your mother is a good person, she just want you to join the line that our family follow.” Ahbeoji explained. “Get married and fake your medical record to avoid the enlistment.”

“But you did avoid it, ahbeoji.” I reminded him. He nods and laughed at himself. “It was different, son. I haven’t got my heart transplantation.” He said as he hit his chest lightly. “That girl grows into a beautiful lady.” Dad said.

I nodded. “She was the ugly duckling, but now she’s the swan princess…”

“I want to ask you something as her guardian.” Ahbeoji said in a serious tone.

“What is it?” I asked him in a serious way.

“When she reaches 20, I want her to marry my son.”

I froze for a while. I stared at my father and he didn’t laugh. “Ahbeoji…”

“I can’t marry you since you are a guy.” He said. “I can see your mother through your eyes, but you and your mother are different person. I love you not just because I love your mother; I love you because you are my son. You’ll understand me, son.”

 

“Ahjussi!!”

 

Changmin and Yoojin rushed to our table. They greeted ahbeoji with a group hug. I stared at people around me. They seemed shocked to see that my dad knew how to do a group hug like Teletubies.

I sat quietly and drank a sip of wine. I really got to know why dad sad those words to me. Words that make me start to see her as a woman… 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Hello~ Hello~
sorry for the late update *bowbow* I really busy this past two weeks
but, here's the new chapter^^
hope you like it^^