Truth About Her

When You Were Sleeping

 

 “Yeonhee-yah!”

Yeonhee was listening to her favorite song when her mother walked inside her room with anger in her face. “Waeyo eomoni?” she asked her mother.

“Why you letting your son bring girl home?!” she nagged at Yeonhee. Yoenhee dropped her jaw when she heard her mother’s words. She rushed to peek his son from the second story. She saw a girl with him, and she made her son laughed and smiled in the way she never sees.

 

“Yoojin-ah, stop making me laugh! We should finish this!”

 

Yeonhee stunned. She had been watching them for 15 minutes before she found out that the girl who was with Siwon is Yoojin.

 

“Siwon? Yoojin?”

 

She called their name while walking downstairs. They greeted Yeonhee with smile without knowing that she worried about their relationship. Yeonhee approached them and tried to find out what they did. “What you guys doing?”

“Did we disturb you?” Siwon asked her. “We are making plan for next spring festival and summer holiday for our student. Do you have any idea mom?”

“Just go to Jeju.” Yeonhee said simply. “I heard you guys laughing so hard, what were you guys talking about?”

“I told sunbae about my big family dinner.” Yoojin said.

“Oh, ok…” Yeonhee said as she walked towards the kitchen. She took her apron and prepared the dinner. She tried to focus on her dish, but she couldn’t hide her worry. She knew she got to do something before his son fell for his own half sister.

 

“Eomma, something bother you?” Siwon pushed his mother to the other side and helped her with the dish she was working.

“Do you like Yoojin?”

Siwon stopped. He stared at his mother and smiled. “She’s like a sister to me, Waeyo?”

“Ani…” Yeonhee said.

Yeonhee stepped back and watched her son took care of the dinner. She knew he likes her, but he hid it. He knew she worried of him.

“I thought you like her,” he suddenly said. “If you don’t like it, I’ll listen to you.”

“Siwon-ah…”

“The dinner is ready, eomma, just sit down and talk to halmeoni to not make appa and Yoojin feel burdened by her.”

“Siwon-ah…”

“Ne?”Siwon smiled at her mother.

“Mianhae, aideul-ah…”

 

Lee Halmeoni crossed her hands while starring at Yoojin and his son in law. She dislikes his son in law since she found that he cheated on her daughter, but she dislikes Yoojin even though she didn’t know the truth about her.

“Did halmeoni takes your soul? You looked so awkward around her.” Yeonhee approached them with a big bowl of soup in her hand. “Yeobo, gwaenchanha?”

Kangta nodded and smiled at Yeonhee. “Is it really obvious?”

Yeonhee realized what made her husband that happy. Yoojin with the family for the dinner. “Very obvious.” She said and sat on her seat. Lee halmeoni looked like she was pissed off. She got up from her seat without a word.

“Where is halmeoni?” Siwon came with a plate full of nice pancake. He sat on his seat and prepared to pray.

It was a very warm dinner, and Yoojin felt like she was with her own family. “Ahjussi, Ahjumni, can I have dinner here again?” Yoojin suddenly ask them. “I feel like I have the real oppa, mother and father when I’m here.”

Kangta and Yeonhee starred at each other before they nodded at Yoojin. “Of course you can^^” Yeonhee and Kangta said together.

“Jinjjayo?”

They nodded steadily. “We love to have you here^^”

 

 

As soon as Yoojin left their home, Yeonhee and Kangta went to their room for a talk.

“You look so happy now.” Yeonhee approached her husband and sat beside him. “Should we sue doctor Jang to get the custody?”

Kangta shook his head. He thought about the custody carefully. “No, not yet…”

“But we should make a move before…” Yeonhee paused when she remembered Siwon.

“Before what?” he asked his wife.

“Before Siwon falls in love with her...” said and bit her lower lip. “I can see that from his eyes, he likes her.”

“What?!” Kangta widened his eyes. “He cannot love his own sister!”

 

“He cannot love his own sister!”

 

I almost dropped my pen when I heard my father’s voice. What the hell did he say? Yoojin is my sister?! What sister?!!

 

“Siwon, get out of my way.” Halmeoni suddenly appeared in front of me. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m on my way to my room.” I said. Halmeoni stared at me as if she didn’t believe me. “I swear,” I said again.

“I haven’t eaten my dinner; take my dinner to my room.” Halmeoni said.

I went downstairs and took her dinner, and then I went to her room. “Why you left the dining room, halmeoni?”

“I can’t stand on how your father stared at that young lady.” She said while sitting on her seat. “Don’t date her! I don’t like how she talks to me and your father. She has too much aegyo.”

“Come on, halmeoni! She’s so cute!” I begged her to agree with me, but she seemed not interested in Yoojin. She gave me a super scary glare instead.

“I don’t like her.” She said. “Siwon, do you remember when your father packed his clothes and tried to leave this home?” she said.

I shook my head. “Did he?”

She drank a sip of her earl grey. “Just pretend like you don’t know anything in front of your parents.” She said. She stared at me as if she was going to tell me a very important matter. “Maybe you don’t remember what happened to your family years ago, but that’s the reason why I don’t like your father so bad.”

“What is it?” I asked her. I held my breath before

“If his girlfriend didn’t die, he will leave you, your brother and your mother.”

I dropped my jaw after I heard what halmeoni said. I tried to recall all the things that happened in the past, but I couldn’t remember any of them. “Can’t be…”

“That’s the truth, Siwon…” Halmeoni said as she took a spoon of the soup. “But that also your mother’s fault. She let your father met his girlfriend and their daughter. In short words, you have a sister and your stupid mother was really kind to them.”

I threw myself to the sofa. I took a deep breath to calm myself. “Why mom let appa cheated on her?!”

Halmeoni shook her head. “She loves your father too much. That’s the reason.”

 

My knees felt so weak so I couldn’t stand. I looked out of the window and Imagined Yoojin’s face, but I couldn’t. My feelings for her disappear in instant and I feel like those feelings turn into awkward feeling. I couldn’t imagine what will happen when we meet tomorrow at school. Will I act as usual? But I just couldn’t hide my disappointment on this bitter truth.