Distance

When You Were Sleeping

 

I leaned on the hallway; I was bored to wait for teacher Jang who was going to tell me something about my chance to get basketball scholarship in the U.S. I snorted heavily and stared at the window. The snow started to fall, and I only have less than a year to be with her.

“Sorry for making you wait!” Teacher Jang rushed to see me. His breath was panting and his tired eyes made me aware of what he did. He tried his best to make me get the scholarship because I might be the first one who will get the scholarship from this school.

“Here,” he said as he handed me some files. He stared at me with a great satisfaction in his eyes. Wait… don’t tell me! “Yes! You will fly to Los Angeles in 6 months!”

I widened my eyes at him and he replied me with nods. I looked at the files to make it sure, dude! I really get it! I couldn’t believe what I heard! I really get the scholarship and… it means that… I only have few more months to be with her. How I tell her about this?

“KRIS!!!”

My body was frozen and I feel like I really want to escape from her. I gulped before I greeted her by waving my stiff hands at her. She waved her hand at me back, but she stared at me curiously.

“Why you look so awkward?” she asked me. “Songsaenim, what happened to him?” she asked Teacher Jang.

“He’s in shock.” Teacher Jang said with a big smile of proud.

“Shock? Wae?” She asked us in clueless.

“I, I get the scholarship…” I said.

She widened her eyes and mouth as she was really happy to hear that. Let’s see what she looks like when she heard about what kind of scholarship I get.

 

We were in the roof. Yoojin looked away with gloomy expression painted on her face. “So, we only have 6 months left?” she asked me. I nodded. “Can’t you just stay?”

I shook my head.

“You want it so bad?”

I nodded.

“Malhaebwa!!” She yelled at me in anger, and threw me her pen.  “Why you didn’t tell me at the very first place?! I will never go this far!”

“I never thought our relationship would go this far and… I’ve just known that I will fly to LA that soon.” I said. She bit her lower lips and stared at me with her teary eyes. “We should make a distance from now on…” she said. “It will be hard for me to let you go. So, don’t expect me to send you off.” She got up from her seat and left me.

My heart hurt so badly and I feel like I made a mistake with this decision. Should I stay? I don’t want to lose her… even as friend.

 

This is bad… I prefer to be hit by Boa-ssi again that heard this stupid news! He has been hiding this stupid scholarship thing from me for almost a year? How could he do that to me when he knows that I develop feelings for him?

“YAH! ARE YOU DEAF JUNG YOOJIN?!”

Tiffany kept knocking my head by her fingers. “What happened to you? You keep clenching your fist while crying a river.”

What? Crying?

I took my handkerchief from my bag and wiped those stupid tears.  “What do you want?” I asked Tiffany.

She took my wet handkerchief and stared at it. “Explanation?”

“It’s my brother…” Amber said as she approached me and sat beside me. She tapped my shoulder as if she was telling me to be okay. “That scholarship is not just his ultimate dream since he was five, but it is his late father’s last wish. He wants Kris to be Professional Player.”

“But he didn’t tell me at the very first place!” I said.

“That’s the another reason why I don’t want you to be with him.” She said. “So, you broke up with him?”

I froze when I heard Amber’s question. Why I really mad at Kris when I’m not even his girlfriend? Who am I to treat him in such way? I feel like a babo now. “We don’t have that kind of relationship.”I said bitterly.

Amber and Tiffany stared at me like they didn’t believe me. “Heechul posted your pic with Kris while kissing under the snow last night! You guys must be having something!”

“That…”

I couldn’t deny it. It happened when he walked me home. Tiffany reminded me to that night. We held each other's hands and laughed at jokes we shared like this day wouldn’t come. I remembered he covered my ears by his two palms to make me feel warm, and then he lowered his body to kiss me on the lips. We were not in boyfriend-girlfriend relationship, but we shared that feeling. I realized that he kept me in the safe zone because of this matter. But I do have to keep a distance from now on.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------