Returning To Hawaii

Lovely Fan

Haerin’s POV

It’s been ages since I last came here. Last time I saw Chanyeol was at the cafe. Since that, I've never bumped into him anymore. There's a few commotions going about his confession for me online but--yeah, it's been so long since I last seen him. The last time was full of bitterness, hurt and pain. I wouldn’t even want to think about it any longer. Still dazed on their front door, I battled with myself to either continue or back out. I gripped the plane tickets tighter. Did I make the right choice?

Closing my eyes, I just rang the door bell. This is it. Should I make a run for my life now? I was still contemplating about what to do when the door flung opened. Unknowingly, I stood there, froze, didn’t know what to do anymore. I kept myself looking down, hiding the embarrassment I just rolled myself into. I should’ve just stayed in home.

“Haerin?” the voice seemed unsure. Judging from the masculinity of the voice, I assumed it was Kai. I bit my lips and brazed myself to look up. Yeah, Haerin, this is the wisest thing to do or you’ll regret yourself for not doing so in your entire remaining bits of life.

Giving a small sigh, I came face to face with Kai. “Hello,” I greeted. My hands were behind my back, easing the awkwardness I’m facing now. “Why didn’t you say that you’re coming?” he moved his hands off the door and led me inside. “We could’ve prepared, you know.”

“I-I’m not going to be here for a long time anyway.” I smiled. “Who’s coming?” I heard Suho’s voice echoing in the vacant living room. He saw me and was surprised for a moment before breaking into a big smile. “It’s been so long.”

He pulled me into a hug and patted my back. “We’re having dinner. You wanna join us?” I shot up, looking at him. What a great timing to come, Haerin. I shook my head and broke free from his tight hug. “I’m just here for a while.”

“Ah,” I just realized something. “Congratulations for your award in MAMA.” I smiled at both of them and put up two thumbs up. “You guys deserved it!”

Suho rubbed the back of his head while Kai smirked—that proud young man. “You want to see Chanyeol?” he asked. I hesitated but nodded anyway. I mean, that is the reason why I’m here. “He’s in the kitchen. Come,” they ushered me towards their kitchen.

Entering the kitchen, I saw the other 4 members of EXO-K. Chanyeol choke on his food and was struggling for some water. As always, clumsy Park Chanyeol was surprised to see me. I waved at Baekhyun, Sehun and D.O. “I’m sorry if I’m interrupting you guys.”

“What are you saying?” D.O pouted and pulled out a chair for me. “You’re always welcome here.” He was about to scoop some rice for me but I turned him down. Lately, I have no appetite or whatsoever. Side effects on this illness I have they say.

“You should eat more, Haerin.” Baekhyun whined and tried to feed me his dinner. “You’ve lost so much weight lately. I’m worried.” I shook my head and turned away. “Come on, Hae-Hae, just one bite will do.”

“Just take it, Hae.” Sehun pointed. “Hyung’s not going to stop unless you ate.” I smiled and ate it as well. Just one bite won’t kill me, will it? I nodded; acknowledging the taste of the food. I turned to D.O and he nodded back in return. “It’s tasty as usual, oppa.”

Suho and Kai had sat down with us as well. I just watched them eating and smiled. This time should freeze and let me treasure them. I’ll miss these dorks, for sure. I looked at Chanyeol and caught him stealing some glances at me. He realized me and continued stuffing stuff into his mouth—almost missing them though.

I took my camera and stood up from my seat. I better just take them so I can see them whenever I want to. “Guys, look here!”

SNAP! I chuckled at the shot I took. Of course, candid pictures are always the best. They look extremely funny in this one. Chanyeol with his big bulgy eyes staring into the camera, Suho mouth hanging opened, about to talk—perhaps asking me about why I’m taking their picture. And there’s Sehun who’s busy maintaining poker face, well at least he still appeared the most normal one in the pocket. Kai and D.O were busy talking so they both had their derp faces on. The funniest goes to Baekhyun who was about to sneeze.

“What was that for?” Baekhyun whined and wiped his mouth—his food had flown over to Kai who was sitting in front of him.

“Just for memory.” I smiled as I took even more pictures.

------------------------------------

I had just finished washing their dishes as I insisted to. D.O helped me just now by cleaning the table. I say that our job was done quite quickly. I plopped next to Sehun on the living room and smiled to myself—I’m glad I visited today. It’s been so long since I last seen them.

“Why did you only visit today, Haerin?” Baekhyun asked as he flipped through the channels. “You could’ve come sooner. We missed you.”

“I wasn’t feeling well.” I pouted, replying him. I noticed that they all were now looking at me. Why? Did I say something weird?

Suho came towards me and checked my forehead. “I thought so,” he looked worried. I raised my eyebrows as he withdrew his hands. “You look so skinny right now. And not to mention that you got paler too.” I touched my face. Do I look that unwell? If it’s going to be like this, then it would be difficult for me to hide the fact.

“You should’ve eaten earlier.” Chanyeol spoke. I smiled at his first words for me since I came just now. Took him long enough to gather his courage, eh? “Not that I’m worried—well I do. B-but you know—“

The others just giggled listening to him. “Hyung got his tongue twisted.” Kai teased. I laughed too, feeling more ease as time passed. Glancing at my watch, I saw that it’s been over an hour since I came here. I stood up, about to excuse myself.

“You should stay a bit longer.” Suho pledged. I shook my head; I shouldn’t get too attached to them. It’ll be harder for me to let go when the times come. Noticing that the plane tickets were still held in my bag, I almost cursed myself for almost forgetting the reason why I came here in the first place.

“Ah,” I rummaged through my bag, trying to buy time to sort my words. I found the tickets actually but my words are stuck in my throat. I couldn’t bring myself to get them out. I sighed, frustrated with myself. I completely acted like an idiot in from of them. I bit my lips, trying to suppress the nervousness inside of me.

“Here,” I handed Chanyeol the plane ticket. He stood up and took it. A bit confused with my actions, I thought. Why wouldn’t he be? I mean, how would you react when your ex appeared in your house, giving you a plane ticket and asked you to fly to Hawaii with them? It’s weird, right?

“What is this?” he asked. His face looked at mine like I’m some kind of an alien. “Why are you giving me this?”

Baekhyun snatched the ticket from him and looked at it. His eyes widened and he looked at me, quite amused I think? “Can I come too?” Chanyeol nudged him and took the ticket away. He still looked at me, waiting for an explanation.

“What’s that?” D.O asked, trying to get a hold of the ticket. The others were still puzzled about the content that gets Baekhyun excited and Chanyeol shocked. 

“Whoa,” Sehun exclaimed as he finally was able to see it. “It’s not fair. I want to come too.” He pouted. “What’s that?” D.O asked again, still trying when the ticket was being passed around.

“Are you sure?” Chanyeol asked me. I nodded, getting every bits of energy in myself to do that. I’m sure of it. It probably would be the last time I’m going to spend time with him so I’ll just go all out. I want to go back to the time when I was the happiest—the moment I first met him. “You’re not going to regret it?” he asked again, getting the playful tone in his voice after a while.

I found myself getting fluttered by his voice and nodded. “Whoa, our Haerin is advanced, I see?” Kai joked, nudging me. I bit my lips, I never been this embarrassed before. Being the first one to make a move is definitely not me but Chanyeol just couldn’t get the full picture.

Sehun dialed a call to Luhan and gossiped about it right away. It was a funny scene to see. They were being such a tease that I almost want to jump from Namsan tower, as soon as possible. The situation got out of hand when EXO-M were all shouting and congratulating us over the loud speaker. What was there to congratulate anyway?

------------------------------------

“I’m going to pack all of my beach suits, you know?” Chanyeol smiled at me. I just looked at him and scoffed. I’m going to miss that squinting nose habit he’s doing.

“Do what you want, oppa.” I pushed the button for the ground floor. I turned back to him and found myself being tightly hugged. I heard him sighing in relief as I, too, hugged him back, snuggling my face in his wide chest.

“Do you know how much I missed doing this?” he pouted. “Every time I see you, the urge to just hug you was always killing me. I want to do that but to think that I’ve been such a jerk before, I retrained myself.”

“I’m sorry.” I said, looking at him straight in the eyes. “I’ve caused too much pain for you.”

“You idiot,” he flinched my head and then took me back for a hug. “You don’t know how much you mean for me. I won’t trade you for any other things in the world.”

“So does this mean that—,”

“We’re back together again?” he stopped to look at me and nodded. “Actually I never think of us as an ending. A brief separation would be the word but then, it was me who cut us off so…yeah.”

“Ah,” I stepped out of the elevator. “We’re here. You can go back up.” I pushed him inside when he tried to follow me.

“But I want to walk you home.” He pouted, coming out of the door again when it’s about to close. “I couldn’t bear seeing you walking home alone. It’s night anyway. Don’t you know how dangerous it is?”

“I got my drive,” I said, pointing at the Lamborghini which just stopped in front of the apartment. “Don’t worry about me. Just go up and pack your stuff. I thought you’re saying that you’re bringing all of your beach suits?”

Han Daehyun, huh?” he squinted his nose again. “I don’t like the sound or the view of that.”

“I thought you said that it’s dangerous outside?” I replied. “Anyway, it was you who’s coming with me to Hawaii tomorrow. Not him, right?”

“I’ll let you pass because of that.” He said as his hands stopped the elevator door to close again. “Be home straight away and take care of yourself, kay?”

I nodded and gave him a peck on his right cheek. He was caught off guard when the door finally closed, bringing him up. I smiled, imagining how Chanyeol would burst up cursing in the elevator. As I walked out of the apartment, I found Daehyun already waiting for me outside. He tilted his head and went for a hug.

“You can’t be exposed to the colds.” He wrapped me with his coat, babying me much? After opening the door for me, he gave it a light close and entered his side. Putting on the seatbelt for me, he drove away after that. Another father I have to be over protective of me.

Park Chanyeol, huh?” he pouted, eyes still fixed on the road but I know, his mind was still replaying the scene earlier. “I don’t like the sound or the view of that.”

I chuckled, shaking my head. “You two should really hang out together.”