Epilogue

Don't Fool Me

 

Donghae


I've never been a man with a lot of luck.

 

Well, that's what I came to believe after my mother had told me so many times  all the troubles I went through since the very first day I was born ; when she gave me birth, the umbilical cordon was wrapped around my throat, already strangling me while I still didn't had time to even start crying. When I was around the age of five, Mum had told me that one day we had went to a house in the countryside to visit my grandparents. There is a pool at their house and apparently, that day Mom had brought me near the swimming pool and I had been playing like a normal five-year-old child would - I don't remember this event at all, actually. She told she had left me for one tiny second, just to go fetch a magazine which had fell on the ground a few meters away. But when she had turned around, I was already drowning in the middle of the pool, unconscious.

Moreover, after three fishes eaten by my neighbor's cat, two legs, one nose and an arm broken, it was easy to come to the conclusion that yes, I did not have any luck, in addition of a awful clumsiness.

I've lived bearing with it for years, already used to the problems that could have fell on me anytime, until I had went to study at Seoul University, away from my house at Mokpo and my family. The second year of my schooling at the university, when I met this boy at the little restaurant the day just before we had to start school again, the day I first had the chance to lay an eye on Cho Kyuhyun, I thought I was the luckiest man of the whole world, maybe even the universe. I remember how I had been struggling with a box which restrained me to notice him at the very first second I had stepped a foot in the restaurant, but then he had came and had help me. And I just fell in love with the most beautiful person ever.

I've been happy and incredibly lucky for now four long and beautiful years, because I was the one Kyuhyun have been keeping by his sides and no one else than me. I was proud, and I was thankful every day.

We did have parted away from each others for some time - one year and a half precisely - and yes, it did hurt me more than I thought it would, stuck in Paris without the warmth of his smile with me, but I believed it only brought us closer. I couldn't say it was something I didn't regret, but if I had the chance to, I wouldn't erase this period of my life ; on the memorable day we got back together, the love we had for each others got stronger and stronger, and we couldn't do anything else but to drown into the other once again. The bond we had created long time ago was back and it was now unbreakable. Not to mention we had spent a week full of love making just after I had came back to Seoul.

Although, now that I analyzed the quite potentially dangerous situation I was currently in, well maybe - maybe, I wasn't that much lucky all the time, even if Kyuhyun was here. He was the most wonderful thing that happened to me, but I guess I have to pay back Mother Nature for this gift.

How would you call it, when you randomly meet your ex-girlfriend while having a date with the person you love the most, if not bad luck?

Because yes, welcome to my life, my date with Kyuhyun was close to turn into a disaster, thanks to a certain Im Yoona.

 

Tonight was our three years anniversary. We had been both ecstatic this morning, cuddling and clingy with each others, always kissing and almost made love in the whole house. Kyuhyun had took a day off and this morning he had courageously went in the kitchen for the first time since I moved in his house. Since I had came back, he had made a clear point he wasn't going to step even one little toe in that "Room of the Devil" as he called it. He had tried to prepare me breakfast this morning though, which ended up burnt and practically inedible, but I didn't care and ate it happily because I knew he was trying to make an effort since it was an important day.

On my part, I had planned on having dinner. We were at this moment sitting at a table of a famous restaurant in the middle of the affair center of Seoul, which proposed French gastronomy. I was even proud to say that after more or less 18 months living in the capital of this country, I could now speak and understand the language (it's helpful when you're studying in a French Faculty).

Everything had went smoothly ; we were being almost cheesy with each others, I had took off his coat, ordered some wine and everything. I was planning to make him to savour some Foie Gras, or maybe an Os à Moelle. Until the waitress had appeared from behind him to take the order of our meal. Holy ing was the first thought that crossed my mind when I recognized the woman as Yoona, old classmate back in Mokpo time and also ex-girlfriend. At first, Kyuhyun was acting normal as he didn't know her, but gradually he began to notice I was all nervous, glancing at Yoona. She had brightly greeted me, unaware of the jealous man of a boyfriend I had, and damn his smart brain, he had quickly understood who she was.

I sighed heavily, not daring to say anything. Yoona was fidgeting nervously with her block note, glancing at me and then at Kyuhyun. The latter was sitting straight in front of me, a smoking on which revealed all his iness, and he was smiling. But it was too sweet and too bright to be even a little bit honest. It was almost scary, actually. Normally, he would have thrown a tantrum or humiliated me or something, but the fact he was ing smiling at my ex-ing-girlfriend proved how furious he was right now.

 

"So, Yoona-ssi..." He spoke, fake sweetness pouring out of his every words. "You're such a pretty woman, aren't you? No doubt Donghae would like you."

 

No Hae anymore, I was in big troubles.

 

"I - uh - maybe... I d - don't think so..." Yoona stammered.

 

"Oh don't be so modest, dear. You're so beautiful." He clearly emphasized on this word.

 

Honestly, Yoona was a nice girl, caring and cute. We had broke up on a mutual agreement since we noticed things were going too well between us, as if we only matched to be nothing else but friends. But eventually, when I left Mokpo to go to Seoul we had lost contact. I was utterly surprised to meet her in the capital, not to say as a waitress in that restaurant where I was supposed to enjoy a flawless date.

I saw her gulp, she must have noticed Kyuhyun's hostile behavior toward her behind his ear-to-ear smile.

 

"Kyu, babe." I called him gently, pitying her poor situation. "Why don't you go to the bathroom wash your hands, ok? I'll take your order."

 

Bad move, Lee Donghae. I thought as he spun around on his chair to face me. He had moved so quickly I was scared he might have broke a bone or something. He had a scowl on his face, his eyes shooting daggers, and that almost reassured me because it looked more like him. As if I was back on a known territory, one I could handle. But almost immediately, his glare vanished to be replaced by a blinding smile.

 

"Ooh, I guess you might want to spend some time with Yoona-ssi alone?!" He joyfully exclaimed, abruptly standing up from his chair. "Fine, I'll be back quickly." He said before he turned around and stormed out of the room to the hall that lead to the bathroom.

 

I blinked my eyes twice before I let out a loud groan and took my head in my hands. From the corner of my eyes, I saw Yoona biting her lower lip apologetically. "Sorry." She mumbled sheepishly. "I mean, I didn't know he was your boyfriend."

 

"How would you?" I sighed. "Sorry for that, Kyuhyun's nice when -... When you're not my ex, I guess."

 

She chuckled and gave a soft smile and I smiled back. I kind of missed her as my old best friend, without any traces of romance, but I knew that if I confessed that, I might end up sleeping on the kitchen floor for the rest of the week.

 

"Why are you in Seoul? You left Mokpo?" I asked nicely, glancing at the hall where Kyuhyun had disappeared furiously. I knew him, I shouldn't go talk to him if I didn't want him to scream and shout.

 

"Oh I want to be a designer and I thought I might have more opportunities if I'm in Seoul. I'm working in that restaurant on my uncle's behalf, and it also helps me to pay my studies." She replied, also carefully watching. "And you, how have you been since you left our sweet hometown?"

 

I grimaced a little. "Fine, I guess. I went to Seoul University, you know that. And I met Kyuhyun during my second year there. We're together for three years now, it's our anniversary tonight actually."

 

"Oh, that explains why he was so angry then... I'm so sorry." She apologized. "But if it can comfort him, I have a boyfriend now."

 

"It's not your fault, Yoona." I said. "Kyuhyun's just like that, that's all."

 

"What do you both do for a living now? Did you achieve what you wanted to do?"

 

"Almost, I guess. I'm currently going on a course with a book house so I can be a literature critic afterwards."

 

"Right, you've always liked Literature, even back then you had the best grades." She smiled.

 

"Hmm..." I mumbled and took out my phone out of my pocket. "Kyuhyun's also going on a course but in a hospital, he wants to be a doctor."

 

I unlocked the screen and saw Kyuhyun had sent me a text message. I hurriedly opened it and almost laughed out loud at what he had wrote ; "I'm not going out of here if she's still at less than ten meters away from our table. I tell you, lots of pretty women are eyeing me right now."

 

"Don't be stupid, she doesn't mean anything for me anymore." I sent him.

 

"Oh, good move." Yoona said as she peeked over my shoulder. I narrowed my eyes at her playfully.

 

"Still putting your nose into other's business?" I said.

 

"Oh really? Then fine, I'm coming but if she ends up built in a wall or something, you're the one to blame, er."

 

"Always." She laughed. "I guess I'll call someone else to take your order?"

 

"I'm a good er."

 

"Umm, he's coming out actually." I chuckled at his "I hope she'll poison your dish". "Seriously, everything's fine, Yoona, you can just -"

 

"No, not everything is fine." A cold voice cut me. "Lee Donghae, I'm going to kill you."

 

Yoona immediately bowed embarrassingly at Kyuhyun, her face flushed. "I'm so sorry, Kyuhyun-ssi, I can call someone else, if you want -"

 

"No, that's fine, since I'm leaving." Kyuhyun declared and then glared at me. "Enjoy your meal, moron."

 

Before I could react, he grabbed his coat and stomped out of the restaurant, not even glancing back at me. And then, just like that, he left me alone in the middle of an expensive restaurant, at the table I spent two weeks to reserve. I just gaped stupidly, not registering that Kyuhyun had just dumped me on our three years anniversary day. I guess I should have been angry since he did overreacted this time, but I only felt sadness and I was sorry it turned out so bad. I really wasn't lucky, isn't it? I sighed and rested my forehead on the table, groaning in despair. I would have hit myself if I didn't know people were probably watching.

Yoona was awkwardly standing next to me, probably confused to what she should do now. I turned my head so my cheek was on the cold fabric of it. "You can leave, Yoona, I'm not going to order anything now."

 

"Don't be angry, Donghae." She said. "It's normal to react like that."

 

"It isn't, but I'm not angry."

 

"It is. I would have reacted the same exact way if some ex-girlfriends of Taecyon oppa suddenly appeared all cheery with him." She said. "I mean, it's kind of obvious he's - you know, the girl of the relationship, so I guess he tends to react like one, no?"

 

"He does remind everyday that he has something between his legs though." I mumbled.

 

She shrugged and threw me a comforting smile. "He's just jealous, you should be happy, because it means he love you."

 

I permitted myself to grin as I straightened up. "I know." I said with a proud smile.

 

It wasn't often that Kyuhyun showed his jealousy, especially in front of me. Usually, he would go complain at Heechul hyung or Hankyung hyung, but today was kind of epic. Actually, I found it quiet cute, the way he was glaring at me because he couldn't stand the fact I was chatting with an ex-girlfriend. Moreover, he really didn't like the fact maybe I was still attracted to women, when truth was I didn't even see their faces, boys or girls. Only his.

I stood up and bid Yoona goodbye, after we promised we would meet on a double date one day - after I would soothe Kyuhyun down, of course. We really didn't have any feelings of love left between us ; she loved that Ok Taecyon and I was in love with Kyuhyun. We only went out together just because we wanted to try it as teenagers anyway. At first, I've always thought she was my first love, but this silly thought had immediately disappeared when I first met Kyuhyun.

I sighed, recalling those memories as I shoved my hands in my pocket and went out of the restaurant. It was still warm outside, even though it was already dark. It was still end of August so summer wasn't off yet. I decided to take a walk while waiting for Kyuhyun to calm down before I could give him a call.

I gazed at my left hand, where on the ring finger was shining the beautiful silver of our couple ring he had offered me for our first Christmas together. I smiled lightly, reading for the nth time the inscription on it . Donghae - Kyuhyun. He was just so cute, I couldn't believe I really was the one he loved so much.

I reached a small park, a twenty minutes from the earlier restaurant, and I went in before I sat down on one of the bench, staring at some kids who were playing together under their parents' careful looks.

My parents didn't take the news well. Especially my father. Donghwa hyung was supportive with our relationship, he had always been on my side and so was I with him. My mother was disappointed her son turned out this way, but as a mother of two sons, she decided to bear with it, or else she wouldn't be able to see me anymore. As for my father, he still didn't want to talk to me. The few times I went with Kyuhyun to meet them for lunch or dinner, he never talked nor even looked at me, locking himself up in his room. And when we met in the hallway, he only gave me a cold glare before he disappeared quickly, disgust painted all over his face. This was horrible at first, we've always been on good terms and I couldn't believe he was angry at me just because I was in love. Moreover, Kyuhyun was the perfect son-in-law, caring, nice and always respectful with the elderly. Still, Dad had decided to be an , and I was angry at him too because I knew Kyuhyun felt guilty.

His own parents were more than happy we were back together and had even thrown a party at their house, inviting all our old friends. They were so nice, just like their son. If I had to tell just one disappointment they had in us, I guess it would be that we technically couldn't have any children. I chuckled lightly. Mrs. Cho was ecstatic that Arah noona had gave birth to Seungho, and I knew Kyuhyun felt a little envious of her to be able to hold her baby tight against her body. But we couldn't do anything about it and even though it was sad sometimes, we were both fine about it.

He was enough, more than enough.

 

I stayed quietly there a few minutes more before I took my phone out of my pocket again and dialed Kyuhyun's number. Almost immediately after, he answered sniffing, apparently at the edge of falling in tears. I chuckled lightly, smiling stupidly because I love him.

 

"Yah, don't laugh!" He shouted out.

 

"Don't cry, Kyu." I said with a smirk. "It doesn't suit you."

 

"I know, that's why I'm doing my best to not do so. And don't smirk at me, I'm angry at you!" He hissed.

 

I laughed out loud this time, and I could picture him pouting adorably.

 

"Where are you?" I asked.

 

"At home, I took the subway." He mumbled. "I'm sorry Hae, I overreacted earlier. It's just that - I -"

 

"You were jealous." I stated teasingly. "My little Kyu was jealous!"

 

"I was not!" He denied. "But anyway, sorry, Hae. But still, I apologized doesn't mean I forgive you."

 

"I am in deep troubles, aren't I? I bet you're going to make me pay for this little incident with Yoona, right?"

 

"Don't say her name, I don't want to hear it." He scolded. "And oh yes, you are. I'm not letting you sleep tonight, and no dinner ; I'm making you work your in my , be prepared. I'll let you go only when I'm satisfied. And I tell you I'm in the mood."

 

I shivered violently at his words, jumping up on my feet as I already felt uncomfortable in my trousers. "I'm coming right away." I said huskily.

 

He laughed from the other end of the call, his deep voice beautiful. "Hae...?"

 

"Hmm?" I hummed as I hurriedly went to the car.

 

"Maybe sometimes I don't show it enough, and I hate myself for that. But you know, I won't say it enough to compare at how much I do, but Donghae?"

 

"Yes, Kyu." My voice softened, anticipating what he was about to say. I turned the ignition on, and drove to our house as quickly as could, but still careful.

 

"I love you."

 

Never I would get bored of this warm feeling which washed over me pleasantly as I heard those three beautiful words in my ear.

 

I'm so lucky.


Aaaand, this is it.

This is the real ing epilogue of my baby story (I don't really know if this is a sequel or a chapter though ._.).

 

Do you guys realize I wrote over twenty chapters?! I can't believe it, it's really thanks to you guys. I know I already wrote a long and boring speech in the last chapter, but since this is the real end, well, bear with me a little more. A lot of people helped me on this sotry, did they know it or not. (KimSuYe, kyuloveshae, chevalierhae, kyuwifey, Jsparks, ...).

I hope you guys enjoyed this sequel which I wrote from Donghae's point of view, and this is the very first time. I tought it would be nice to end this story with a few words from him. Originally, I was supposed to post this epilogue in two days, but I'm weak and , I assume it.

 

If I have to pick the chapter I loved the most, I think it would be the day they went to visit Kyuhyun's parents (Chapter 16). Well, there's the , you know (duh!), but apart from that yummy part, it was fun to write and also complicated to explain the feelings. I liked it.

And of course, the second bonus was kind of really funny too, for obvious reasons (Chapter 21) XD

What is your favorite chapter?

 

What else ~ ? I think I'll write a ty fic someday. Like, really ty. Hahaha, maybe. Well, I know I'm going to do it, since we're all naughty readers and writers on this wonderful sites, but when, I don't know XD

 

Annnd, for the one-shot I promised you, I was supposed to post the link, but it's taking more time than what I thought. So you guys will have to wait... Sowrryy ~

 

It was really a wonderful journey I shared with you all, and I'm glad you supported me until the very end of [Don't Fool Me]. I hope to see you all again really soon! :')

 

Thank you so much for everything! (I'm getting sentimental again DX)

 

P.S. : Do you guys remember Chapter 6? The date I mean? And when Kyuhyun said his sister offered him a for one of his birthday? #Doyouthinktheyusedit?! #Ohmygoodness. (I'm probably going to write a one-shot about this, so stay tuned ~)