The Sweetest Hopes

Emptiness filled

 

Yunho sat quietly on the edge of his bed as music filled the room from the nearby stereo. With his head hung low, he let out a deep sigh and leaned back. Staring at the ceiling, Yunho's mind raced at the thoughts on how hectic his schedule would be starting next week.

Their promotions for the new album would start soon and next week they were beginning of their choreography sessions. Dancing had always been Yunho’s forte but something about this routine bothered him.  The company was very adamant about him and Changmin having absolutely perfect dance moves when performing on stage, but that wasn’t his gripe. He wanted to be in charge of the group’s choreography alone, but he had no say, which truly irritated Yunho to no end.

“Aish! Why is it so similar?” sighed Yunho “They could have at least done something different this time. Always recycling the same old routines and barely changing anything, so annoying.”

Being that dance was Yunho’s one true passion in life, even above singing, he was constantly frustrated with the company over re-hashed and recycled dance routines. Their choreographer always tried to accommodate Yunho’s preferences with every routine, but it never felt right to him.

“Its fine!” declared Yunho “I’ll just do it and get it over with.”

Yunho heard a soft knock on the door which softly startled him out of his thoughts.

“Who is it?” asked Yunho.

“It’s me, Hyung.” answered Changmin “Can I come in?”

“Of course.” replied Yunho.

As the evening sun began to drift behind the horizon, Changmin walked into Yunho’s now dimly lit bedroom and looked at the face of his beloved brother. Noticing that Yunho looked melancholic and exhausted, Changmin sighed.  

“You look tired.” commented Changmin “Are you feeling ok?”

“I’m fine.” answered Yunho “I haven’t had much sleep the last few days is all.”

“The dream again?” questioned Changmin.

Yunho nodded softly in acknowledgement.

“The same one?” probed Changmin.

“Yeah.” whispered Yunho.

“Minnie, I have a headache.” started Yunho “Could you…?”

“Again? Alright give me a minute.”   Changmin answered as he turned and headed for the bathroom. A few moments later he returned with a glass of water and the medicine. Yunho slowly put the medicine in his mouth and gulped down the water. Finishing all the water he gently laid the empty glass on the bedside table and looked up at a scowling Changmin.

“You really need to stop drinking yourself to sleep.” stated a concerned Changmin “It’s not helping your headaches. Its causing them and you know it.”

“I know but it helps with the dreams though.” whispered Yunho.

“Aish!” Changmin sighed. “We don’t have any more appointments on the schedule today and tomorrow. Why don’t you just lie down and try to get some more sleep?”

“I should make you some dinner first.” argued Yunho.

“No need.” answered Changmin “I’ll just make some ramen. Just get some sleep ok?”

“Alright.” Yunho sighed.

As Yunho laid his head on the fluffy white pillow on his bed, Changmin reached down and grabbed the blanket on the end of the bed. Covering Yunho carefully, he sighed “Rest well, Hyung.” Yunho watched quietly as Changmin turned and headed for the door. Watching his little brother trying to sneak quietly out of the room, Yunho began to smile. A few moments after he closed the door, Yunho thought “He’s grown up so much in the last few years.” As he uttered those words a little voice in the back of his head whispered “He had to.” which made Yunho shudder. Realizing what his conscious was trying to tell him, Yunho closed his eyes and buried his face into his jasmine scented pillow. As he smelled the sweet fragrance his mind drifted off through memories of the past.

 


[FLASHBACK:  April 2001]

 

“YUNNIE!” yelled Jaejoong.

“YAH! Why did you yell?” asked a startled Yunho “You scared me!”

“You were staring off into space again.” giggled Jaejoong.

“Oh? Sorry! What’s up?” answered Yunho.

“Junsu-ssi says that there is a really pretty park nearby. Let’s go!” squealed Jaejoong.

“A park?” questioned Yunho.

“Yeah. He said the flowers are all blooming right now and that there’s a huge playground.” continued Jaejoong “I want to go have some fun. Let’s go.”

“We really shouldn’t sneak out again. We’ll get in a lot of trouble, like last time.” answered Yunho.

“Oh, Please.”  begged Jaejoong “Just for a little bit? I need a break. Please?”

“Alright.” sighed Yunho “But if we get caught this time, I’m telling everyone it was your fault.”

“You always take the blame for me. Don’t you?” giggled Jaejoong “Ok! I’ll take the blame this time for sure. I promise!”

“Let’s go then.” said Yunho.

Jaejoong and Yunho quietly slipped out of the busy music studio and shuffled down the long hallway headed for their secret escape route. Stopping by a very familiar, but empty dance studio, the two friends entered hastily, closing the door softly behind them. Crossing the room as fast as they could, they stopped in front of their exit.  Jiggling the handle on the window, Jaejoong giggled when it finally popped opened. “Good they haven’t fixed this yet.” said Jaejoong. The window had been their savior many times, when times had gotten hard for them; they both would sneak out through this window. It was the only window on the first floor of the studio that would open and it was just big enough for the two to slip through to the outside world. As Jaejoong’s feet hit the soft grass he looked up at Yunho and smiled brightly.

 “We did it!” giggled Jaejoong “Let’s go.”

The two friends hurried down the path towards the street, then headed towards the park just a few blocks away. When they arrived they were happily surprised at the scene that lay before them. The park was absolutely stunning, all the flowers were in full bloom, and the park was full of happy people.  Couples sat under all the shady trees having lovely picnics with one another, grandmas were sitting on benches chatting and laughing like schoolgirls, grandfathers were playing go-stop under umbrella covered tables, and little kids were playing football in the nearby grass.

“Wow! This place is amazing!” exclaimed Jaejoong “It looks like so much fun!”

“Let’s go find the playground.” said Yunho.

Yunho and Jaejoong made their way through the park, watching and laughing at all the other people having so much fun, and enjoying their time together. As they crested the hill above the large playground, Jaejoong suddenly stopped beside a nearby bench.

“Oh?” said Jaejoong “Let's sit here for a little while, Yunnie.”

“Are you tired already?” questioned Yunho.

“No.” answered Jaejoong as he sat down “I just want to sit here for a little bit. Is that ok?”

“Sure.” agreed Yunho as he sat down beside his friend, leaned back, and closed his eyes. Feeling the warm sun on his skin and the breeze caressing his face, Yunho whispered “This is nice.”

After a few moments Yunho opened his eyes as he was startled by something he didn’t expect.

“Oh? What is that?” questioned Yunho.

“You smell it now?” asked Jaejoong.

“Yeah, it smells so sweet.” answered Yunho “What is that?”

“It’s wild Jasmine.” answered Jaejoong as he pointed across the path to a nearby tree. “See it at the bottom, there?”

“Yeah.” answered Yunho “I’ve never smelled fresh Jasmine before. It smells so good.”

“It does.” agreed Jaejoong “It’s my absolute favorite flower in the whole world.”

“When we become famous singers, I’m going to buy us all a house that has a balcony covered in Jasmine.” continued Jaejoong “That way when we are stressed out, we can just go out on the balcony, look up at the stars and enjoy its heavenly scent.”

“All of us will have a beautifully scented home to relax in together.” said Jaejoong “Doesn’t that sound wonderful?”

“Yes.” answered Yunho with a nod “I hope one day we all can live happily in such a beautiful place.”

 


 

Yunho pulled his head away from his pillow and slowly opened his eyes to notice that the afternoon sun had finally faded outside. Sitting up in the bed and pulling his knees to his chest, he gently ran his fingers through his hair and sighed deeply. “So much for getting some sleep.” whispered Yunho. Rubbing his eyes, he moved to the edge of the bed and put his feet on the cold floor. Cupping his head in his hands, Yunho shook his head gently and said “I need a distraction.”

At that moment, Changmin busted into the room in a fit of sheer panic. Breathing heavily and sweating bullets he looked with terror at Yunho.

“What! Minnie? What is it?” panicked Yunho.

“The TV….. The TV!” screamed Changmin.

The look on Changmin’s face told it all. Something really bad happened. Yunho jumped up off the bed and bolted down the hallway towards the living room with Changmin dead on his heels. Making it to the living room in a flash, Yunho scanned the room for the TV and said “What’s wrong Minnie?”

“Look!” screamed Changmin as he pointed to the TV.

 

“Once again, our breaking story this evening involves the shooting of Korean singer Kim Jaejoong. Authorities are reporting that Mr. Kim Jaejoong was shot during an attempted mugging near his home in Seoul, an hour ago. He was walking home from a nearby store when, according to local police, he was stopped by a man wearing a long dark jacket and sunglasses. The assailant robbed Mr. Kim Jaejoong of his wallet and jewelry and fled the scene. There were signs of a struggle and police are speculating that the assailant shot Mr. Kim Jaejoong during the scuffle.

Mr. Kim Jaejoong was transported to an undisclosed Seoul hospital for emergency treatment. We have received unconfirmed reports from local eye-witnesses at the scene that state that Mr. Kim Jaejoong was shot in the chest and was discovered moments later by a passing pedestrian. No details of his condition have been released to the public as of yet. We are currently waiting for a response from Mr. Kim Jaejoong's representitive company, CJeS Entertainment, for clarification on the incident. Please stays tuned for further updates and join us in praying for his safe recovery.”

 

“No!” whispered Yunho as he fell to his knees.