The Memory That Remains

Emptiness filled

[


Warning: This Chapter is rated NC-17 for Language]


 

"Sir, please stop struggling." begged one security guard.

"We don't want to hurt you." said another.

"FINE!" declared Jaejoong as he tried to stop moving "Just let me go and I'll go peaceably."

"We're sorry Sir. We can't do that." stated another security guard as they continued to pull him down the hall "We're just following orders, so please just cooperate."

When they reached the Chairman's office door, Jaejoong looked in surprise as the door immediately flung open and he saw Manager Kim staring at him with a cold glare. As Manager Kim stepped aside to allow entry, the four security guards dragged Jaejoong into the office and flung him violently onto the antique rug in the middle of the room. Jaejoong landed hard, unable to catch himself before he hit the ground. He slammed his head on the ground. Dazed, Jaejoong slowly pushed himself up onto his knees, shaking his head trying to get back his senses. He looked up to see the Chairman looking down at him with a dagger-like stare and brandishing a sadistic smile from behind his large mahogany desk. 

"You thought you were so ing smart didn't you?" growled the Chairman with a furious look.


 

Jaejoong shook his head in a fit of pure frustration, as he sat up in bed. “Why am I thinking about that right now?” whispered Jaejoong.  Junsu’s words, spoken a few hours ago, had made him feel very guilty for keeping his two brothers in the dark, but he knew that he could never tell them. What Jaejoong experienced that night was not only traumatic for him, but it wasn’t the whole story either. Even with what he knew, and what he had no choice to do, there were still so many more questions unanswered. 

“Why did Yunnie call me that night?” thought Jaejoong as he ran his fingers through his hair. “Did he do that on purpose?”

The anger that had been lingering since that fateful night bubbled up to the surface, and in a split second, Jaejoong slammed his clenched fist on the bed and said “Did he really set me up?” Shaking his head again as if trying to dismiss the thoughts chaotically running through his mind, Jaejoong stood up and walked to the nearby window. Looking out at the seemingly peaceful surroundings, he leaned his head against the glass and sighed.
 

Over the last four years, Jaejoong had carried the feelings of hate, love, fear, disbelief, and wonder, when it came to what really happened that night. He knew his side, what happened between him and the Chairman, but there was something that the Chairman said that had always haunted him. He had no idea what the Chairman meant by it, but he couldn’t let it go. Was Yunho really aware of everything? Did he set Jaejoong up on purpose? Why would he do that? Did he hate Jaejoong that much? Why did he betray Jaejoong? Why did he back out of the lawsuit and cut off all communication? Did he really choose the company over his family? These questions and many more had turned Jaejoong into a complete wreck and he spent eight months after that night trying to dull his confusion and pain. No matter what Jaejoong tried the scene continued to play out in his mind again. 


[Flashback July 2009]

 

“What are you talking about?” stammered Jaejoong.

“Did you honestly think you could pull this off without me finding out?” angrily questioned the Chairman “Foolish child!”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” dismissed Jaejoong “What is this all about?”

“Don’t play the innocent child routine on me.” threatened the Chairman as he stood up from behind his desk “I invented that !”

“You thought I would just stand by and let you take the entire group?” asked the Chairman sarcastically “Stupid child. Don’t you know?  I own you all of you!”

“No you don’t!” retorted Jaejoong.

“Oh, but don’t I?” answered the Chairman slyly.

“What?” questioned Jaejoong dumbfounded “What the hell do you mean by that?”

The Chairman walked around to the front his large oak desk, leaned up against it, and stared intently at Jaejoong for what seemed like an eternity. Jaejoong’s pent-up fear and anger began to bubble up to the surface causing an uncontrollable urge to speak up. Before he could stop himself, Jaejoong let his fury fly.

“You heartless bastard!” retorted Jaejoong angrily “You turned us into nothing but slaves, puppets to do your damn bidding, and you expected us to just sit back and take it?”

“Did you honestly think that we would let this go on for the entire length of the contract?” questioned Jaejoong sarcastically “Now who’s the foolish one?”

“YOU CHILD!” laughed the Chairman as he turned and reached for a large white envelope on his desk. Grabbing it, the Chairman looked at Jaejoong with combination look of disgust and arrogance. He tossed the envelope onto the floor in front of Jaejoong and as it hit the ground, the Chairman laughed maniacally.  

“Did you honestly think we didn’t have a contingency plan just for this kind of situation?” said the Chairman.

“What is this?” asked Jaejoong as he reached out his shaking hand and grabbed the envelope.

“Take a look.” stated Manager Kim as he stepped out of the corner of the room where he had been observing.

Jaejoong slowly opened the envelope, began to pull out the contents, and asked “What … What the hell is this?”

“Enough evidence to ruin his life!” stated Manager Kim.

“What?” asked a confused Jaejoong. Shocked, Jaejoong dropped the envelope on the ground and as it landed the contents spilled out onto the rug. Jaejoong looked hesitantly as he saw computer disks labeled Yunho and dozens of photographs. Reaching out with his shaking hand Jaejoong picked up a photograph of him and Yunho when they were all in Japan the first time. Look at the seemingly innocent photo, Jaejoong smiled softly then glanced at the pile of photos on the floor and noticed some paper work. Reaching out once more, he picked up the stack of papers and looked horrified as he read the header on the first page.

 

[THE REPUBLIC OF KOREA vs. JUNG YUNHO]

 

“What the hell is this?” questioned a furious Jaejoong.

“Our ace in the hole.” answered the Chairman with an evil smirk.

Jaejoong quickly scanned the document he was holding. Accusations abounded within the document, and Jaejoong’s fear continued to climb the more he read. Half way down the document, Jaejoong stopped in a fit of pure shock when he read the line Taking indecent liberties with a minor.”

“WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?” yelled Jaejoong “This is complete bull! Yunho would never..!”

“You know that, we know that, but the public doesn’t.” scoffed the Chairman as he crossed him arms across his chest in a symbol of his dominance.

As the Chairman uttered those words, Jaejoong anger exploded as he jumped from the floor, took three steps and punched the chairman in the face as hard as he could. The moment his punch landed, Jaejoong was pounced on by the four security guards standing nearby. Grabbing Jaejoong and slamming him as hard as they could to the ground, the security guards took turns kicking and punching Jaejoong.The security guards worked Jaejoong over ferociously for many moments until they heard the Chairman speak up.

“Enough!” ordered the Chairman and he wiped his bleeding lip with a white handkerchief.

The security guards grabbed Jaejoong by his arms, pulled him up and forced him down on his knees. Shaking his head, trying to regain his senses, and seething in pain, Jaejoong looked up once again at the Chairman, wiped the blood from his lip and scoffed, “What do you want?”

“It’s simple.” stated the Chairman flatly.”You can file your lawsuit and take everyone with you.”

“What?” asked a shocked Jaejoong.

“Everyone…” started the Chairman “but Yunho and Changmin.”

“I will allow you leave peacefully.” said the Chairman “As long as you leave those two behind.”

“Otherwise, if you continue to go on as you have planned, I will be forced to send the contents of that envelope to the police.” stated the Chairman flatly.

“It’s your choice.” continued the Chairman with a maniacal laugh “Protect Yunho’s honor and future, or leave with him and ruin his life forever.”

“CHOOSE!” ordered the Chairman.

Jaejoong’s eyes widened as the thoughts of what could happen to Yunho if this document went public raced through his mind. His head fluttered with visions of Yunho standing in front of a judge, the public outcry, him being in jail, and the loneliness he would feel being in such a hellish place. Uncontrollable tears began to flow heavily down his face as he winced at these horrifying thoughts. Sharply opening his eyes and staring at the Chairman with a disgusted and deadly stare, Jaejoong spoke up.

“FINE!” yelled Jaejoong and with a burdened sigh said “To protect Yunnie, I have no choice. I will take Chunnie and Su only.”

“Now that’s a wise choice.” said the Chairman curtly.

“Don’t feel like you’ve won.” declared Jaejoong defiantly. “Yunnie will never let this fly when he finds out!”

“Such a foolish child.” arrogantly answered the Chairman “You think so?”

“What do you mean by that?” questioned Jaejoong fearfully but the Chairman just smiled with an evil look on his face.

“Get him out of here!” ordered the Chairman to the security guards “This piece of trash is bleeding all over my clean floor.”

The four security guards grabbed up Jaejoong and dragged him harshly out the door and down the hallway towards the elevator, followed closely by Manager Kim. As the doors opened, they forcibly threw Jaejoong down on the ground inside, before they climbed in the elevator themselves. When they reached the first floor the guards pulled him up from the floor and drug him across the lobby and through the double front doors. Reaching the street, they harshly flung Jaejoong to the cold and wet pavement.

“Get the hell out of here!” ordered Manager Kim.

Jaejoong pulled himself to his feet and stumbled down the rain covered side walk with tears streaking down his face. As Jaejoong neared the street corner, Manager Kim looked at one security guard and said “Follow him.” The security guard nodded in agreement and set off in his task. Manager Kim glanced over his shoulder and noticed that Mr. Choi, head of the group’s security had walked up.

“Where’s Yunho?” he asked.

“He’s currently in the fourth floor stairwell Sir.” answered Mr. Choi.


 

“I’m going to have to tell them what I know, sooner or later.” whispered Jaejoong as tears began to stream down his face “But how?”

“Will they even understand it all?” he sighed as he slid down to the floor against the window."Will they even believe me, when I dont know the whole story?"

"I wish.... I wish I could talk to my Yunnie." cried Jaejoong. "We.. we have to know why."