The Truth About Minjung

Love Is Not About Looks

 

Chanyeol was once again sitting in the living room of Minhee’s house. They sat quietly working on their project while Minjung was sitting on the couch, leaning against the armrest of it while closing her eyes. Her chest heaved up and down in a slow rhythm as she slept.

Minhee looked over at her sister and stood up and pulled a blanket over Minjung while Chanyeol watched. In school she might seem to be the girl who only cared about herself, but Chanyeol saw how much she loved and cared about her sister. Like he cared about his mother.

“How much do you have left?” Minhee asked and looked at Chanyeol who averted his eyes from Minjung to Minhee. He answered her that he was almost finished and she nodded. They compered their texts and re-arranged the text so it would fit together better. They were finished at 6 pm and Minhee went into the kitchen and got the two of them water and a few fruits.

Chanyeol grabbed an orange and started peeling it while looking at Minjung. He was curious about why Minhee cared so much about that girl and why she was always so careful around the house. Another question was bothering him, why haven’t he seen her in school? When Minhee sat down on by the couch and bit onto her apple he decided to ask.

“Can I ask you something about your sister?” he asked and Minhee turned towards him and nodded. “Why are you so protective of her?” he asked and he saw Minhee glance at Minjung, to see if the girl was sleeping, before opening and answering.

“It’s because of her condition. She became blind a couple of years ago and none of us are really used to it yet” Minhee answered and looked at her sister with a caring gaze. Chanyeol nodded and looked at Minjung. He thought back to the previous 4 times he had been there and noticed those small details he hadn’t thought about before.

She always had one hand following the wall when she walked around the house, she was extremely careful when entering a room so that she wouldn’t bump into anything. And the first time when she dropped the glasses and Minhee checked her over, Chanyeol had wondered for a few seconds why Minhee was the one to check so that her sister didn’t have any cuts but now it dawned on him. She couldn’t see if she was but only feel it.

Chanyeol could only sit there and watch as Minhee watched over her sister who slept soundly on the couch. His eyes moved up to her face and he studied her more closely now. Her soft and plump lips, appearing in a small pout when she slept and her slightly rounded cheeks made her look cute. She had long, dark eyelashes and her eyebrows bent in a slight curve.

Chanyeol had to admit, the girl on the couch was really pretty. Sure, she resembled Minhee, but not much. He could feel his heart beat an extra hard beat when she whimpered slightly in her position. He didn’t understand the feeling, what was it? Why did it hurt his heart to know that she couldn’t see?

He realized that she couldn’t see the wonderful world anymore. The trees in the autumn as they turned into a magnificent reddish color and the flowers in the spring. He felt remorse for her loss of sight. He didn’t know how it would feel to one day not be able to see. He didn’t want to know. And another fact that hurt his heart was that she wouldn’t be able to see the people around her. Would she ever have someone who loved her? Someone who wanted to take care of her, be by her side forever?

That’s when he decided, that he will help her to see, with him. He would take her out and let her feel that there is someone who wants to be by her side. He swallowed hard before opening his mouth and looking at Minhee.

“I would want to take Minjung out on a date someday” he said and he saw how Minhee turned around fast to look at him. She stared him in the eye, to search for that small sign of a joke but found none.

“Are you serious?” she asked, chuckling slightly as if that would get him to admit that he only wanted to toy with her sister. But Chanyeol stayed serious, looking into Minhee’s eyes. She looked at her sister who slept on the couch and then at Chanyeol.

“I really don’t want to do this but… I guess I’ll give you a chance” she said and looked at her sister again. But Minjung continued sleeping on the couch, oblivious about what was happening. “If you hurt her, I swear that it’ll be the end of you”