This Is Minjung

Love Is Not About Looks

 

An hour after school ended Chanyeol was staring at the note he had gotten from Minhee and then at the blue house in front of him. It was the right street and the right number so he walked up to the door and pressed the doorbell. The ringing melody of the doorbell was heard all the way outside. He could hear faint steps coming closer to the door and he straightened up as the door opened up.

In the doorway stood a girl, very similar to Minhee but Chanyeol could swear to god that it wasn’t her. This girl seemed to have a smile playing on her lips and she had side bangs instead of straight front bangs like Minhee. And something that Chanyeol noticed was that she wasn’t really looking at him, but rather past him.

“Yes, who is it?” the girl asked and Chanyeol was sure that it wasn’t Minhee. The way they spoke was different and the pitch of the voice too. Chanyeol cleared his throat before answering the girl.

“I’m Chanyeol. I’m here for Minhee” he said and the girl in the door nodded. She ushered Chanyeol to come inside, she turned around and held onto the wall with her left hand as if for support. She told Chanyeol to take of his shoes and go into the living room and sit down while she got her sister. Chanyeol looked at the girl as she walked through the house, one hand carefully following the wall while staring straight ahead, then she disappeared into the kitchen. Seconds later Minhee came out of the kitchen and walked into the living room.

“I’ll be right back” she said with a bored tone and walked up the stairs, probably to go into her room. Chanyeol sat awkwardly in the sofa of the living room and looked around. He saw a few pictures of Minhee and the other girl and their parents.

“Would you like something to drink Chanyeol-sshi” a voice asked and Chanyeol turned to the doorway to see the unknown girl, that Chanyeol assumed was Minhee’s sister, looking into the living room with a small smile on her lips.

“Uh… A-A glass of water would be enough, thank you” he answered, all of a sudden quite nervous about being in the presence of the girl. Why didn’t she look at him directly when she spoke and why did she seem to look so dull in the eyes? Those thoughts wondered through his mind as the girl walked back toward the kitchen and Minhee came down the stairs again and walked into the living room.

“Okay, let’s get working” she said and sat down next to the living room table and Chanyeol sat down on the other side. They pulled out their books and at that moment the two of them could hear something falling to the floor and a shattering sound of probably glass was heard.

Minhee shot out of her seat and ran out to the kitchen. Chanyeol stood up out of reflex and followed her into the kitchen, there was Minhee on the floor on her knees picking up pieces of glass and her sister with her head bowed.

“You have to be more careful” Minhee scolded her sister who just nodded and apologized. Minhee picked up the last piece and threw it in the trash. Then she walked over to her sister. “Are you okay?” she asked and looked at her sister who nodded. “Let me see” Minhee said and took her sisters hands and examined them carefully and then she looked over her sister’s legs and feet for shattered glass, unable to find any. Chanyeol just stood, watching, in the doorway, not knowing what he should do. “What were you trying to do? You know we use the plastic cups” Minhee said quietly to her sister who raised her head, as if to look at her sister.

“I-I asked Chanyeol if he wanted anything to drink and was about to bring you guys some water but then the tray slipped out of my hands” the other answered equally quietly. Minhee looked over at Chanyeol and then at her sister.

“Okay, but next time, you can ask me for help” Minhee said and ruffled her sister’s hair. “And since you have met Chanyeol, Chanyeol – this is my sister, Minjung” Minhee said and Chanyeol nodded.

“It’s nice meeting you” Chanyeol said and Minjung looked up at the direction of Chanyeol and nodded. Then Minhee and Minjung filled new glasses of water and carried them out together to the living room and sat them down on the table. Minhee and Chanyeol sat down at the table again and Minjung sat down next Minhee, looking tired with dark circles under her eyes. Minjung rested her head on her sister’s shoulder and Minhee looked down.

“Are you tired?” Minhee asked and Minjung nodded. “Then go sleep, you don’t need to sit with me. Go get some sleep if you’re tired” Minjung just shook her head and kept her position next to her sister. Chanyeol studied the both of them carefully while the two sisters talked and at last Minjung stood up. Minhee squeezed her hand and Minjung smiled before walking to the stairs before turning back.

“It was nice meeting you Chanyeol-sshi” she said and bowed a little. Chanyeol smiled and nodded. The girl then started climbing the stairs and they heard as the door to a room opened and then closed.

“So that’s your sister” Chanyeol said and Minhee glared at him. She told him to stay away or he wouldn’t see the living daylight anymore to which Chanyeol raised his hands in defeat and they continued working on the project. The session was rather quiet and around 6 pm the doorbell rang and Minhee stood up. She walked to the door and opened. Inside came her parents who took of their shoes and walked into the house. Her father walked straight to the work room while her mother walked to the kitchen. When passing the living room she paused, looked at Chanyeol who looked up, gave a small smile and then the woman continued her way out to the kitchen.

“Minhee, who is that young man in our living room? That certainly isn’t Joonmyeon. Don’t tell me you guys broke up?” Minhee’s mother asked and Minhee rolled her eyes before yelling to her mother from the living room.

“The young man is my class mate Chanyeol, and no Joonmyeon and I have not broken up, we’re going out later tonight!” she yelled and sighed while rolling her eyes. Chanyeol smirked and looked at Minhee.

“Oh, how wonderful” her mother said and Minhee sighed even louder and shook her head. “Why’s there a broken glass in the trash?”

“Minjung accidentally dropped one and it broke.” Minhee answered and her mother came racing into the living room, looking almost panicked.

“Is she okay? She didn’t cut herself or anything?” The mother asked and looked around the room and Minhee assured her mother that she had looked her sister over and that she was fine. Her mother calmed down and walked into the kitchen again. Almost the next second the doorbell rang again and Minhee went to open the door.

“Oh, Oppa!” Chanyeol heard Minhee’s voice, happy with glee and someone laugh. He looked up from his work and waited for the person to show. Minhee came back into the living room and a brunette male stood in the doorway as Minhee packed her things. Chanyeol got this as a signal to start packing and did so and then he stood up. He slung his bag over his shoulder and looked at the male. He didn’t look much older than himself but was almost 10 cm shorter than him.

“Ah, Oppa, this is Chanyeol – one of my classmates, we’re doing a project together this week. Chanyeol, this is Joonmyeon, my boyfriend.” Minhee said before running up to her room. The door to her room closed and the males looked at each other. Joonmyeon was the first to make a move. He held out his hand and repeated his own name. Chanyeol took Joonmyeon’s hand in his and shook it.

Minhee came running down the stairs again and Chanyeol said good bye to Minhee when they had left the house and turned to walk home and he looked back at the house, he wanted to know more of this mysterious Minjung.