Without You

Love Is Not About Looks

 

Chanyeol and Minjung stood at the airport, hugging each other closely, not wanting to let go. Minjung buried her nose in the crook of his neck and he buried his nose in her hair. Neither of them wanted to let go of each other and it took a lot of convincing from Minhee’s and Mrs. Choi’s side for them to separate.

“Promise me to call sometimes” Chanyeol said as he brushed away the tears from Minjung’s cheeks. She nodded as she leaned into his hand.

“I promise. But can you promise me something?” she said and Chanyeol nodded. “Promise me that I don’t get to see you until we meet again.”

“What?” Chanyeol asked, bewildered of her words.

“Promise me, not to send any pictures of yourself. I want to meet you in a year and see you for the first time in real life. Not in a picture” she said and Chanyeol gulped. He then agreed and they hugged one last time before Minjung walked away, leaving him alone at the airport. She turned back once, as if looking back at him, flashing a smile and a wave and he waved back.

~

Three months passed. Minjung was in America while Chanyeol was struggling back home in Seoul. He had two tests to finish off and he was already stressed as it was when his boss from work asked him to cover a shift. He had to as politely as possible tell his boss that he couldn’t, that he had to study and he could hear the disappointment in his boss’s voice.

Chanyeol ran a hand through his hair as he tried to concentrate on his school work in front of him, but he didn’t seem to be able to focus on the work. He leaned back in the chair and let out a frustrated sigh and then he looked at his study table again. There he spotted a picture of Minjung and he smiled. He sighed.

“For Minjung” he said and raised a fist in the air before he once again pulled on his glasses and entered the world of knowledge.

~

Two thirds of a year had passed and it was February. It was cold in Seoul and Chanyeol ran through his apartment wearing a pair of woolen socks Minjung had sent him over Christmas and a thick sweater and a pair of sweats when the phone rang. He grabbed the phone and a smile appeared on his lips when he saw the caller ID.

“Hi Minjung-ah” he said when he answered and he heard a laugh from the other end.

“Hi Chanyeol” Minjung answered back from her bed as she was going to lay down to sleep. She huddled into the soft comforter and held the phone next to her ear.

“How are you?” Chanyeol asked while he sat down at the kitchen table and looked out of the window.

“I’m good, what about you?” Minjung asked as she scanned the room and found took in all her new surroundings. She had just been in for surgery not long before this day, maybe week before perhaps and now was when she could fully see her surroundings.

“I’m fine, it’s only really cold here” he said while faking the sound of clattering teeth.

“Oh no, then I hope you’re wearing the socks I gave you!”

“Of course I am!”

“And don’t get sick okay? I don’t want you to be sick when I can’t be there to take care of you”

“I won’t! I promise! Thanks to your socks I won’t get cold!”

Minjung giggled at Chanyeol’s comment and they spoke for several hours before saying goodbye and Minjung fell asleep in her bed as Chanyeol began cooking his dinner.