Chapter 9

Friends to Couple

MinJee POV
Eun-Mi was so surprised when I brought her back to Cube. She had tears of joy when everyone welcomed her as she entered the room. As they all came up to talk to her, I stepped to the side and sat by the window. It was going to be awhile till I get to talk to Eun-Mi again.

My thoughts trailed off as the image of that boy being sad at the park came to me once more. It reminded me of the time when my long lost friend was like that. He was crying because everyone in school was making fun of him. But I stood up for him. That's when I felt like  he was gaining my trust.

*FLASHBACK*
He was still a little scared of me was what I could tell. I did whatever I could to make him less scared but he always hesitated whenever I made a gesture. I tried everything but he just seemed okay walking with me and not saying a word. What fun was that?

One day I was just going to tell him that we didn't have to be friends if he didn't want to. I didn't want him to feel uncomfortable. It seems like I'm torturing him by forcing him to be my friend. Which I abmit I kind of did.

I was on my way to class till I saw a crowd of some of my classmates. I heard some of them laughing. Before I had approached the group, I saw someone run the other direction and I followed him.

I kept losing track of the kid and didn't even know who he was till I noticed the side of his face. It was Sungjong. Right then I knew where he was going. But I never knew he could run that fast. So by the time I lost him once more, I arrived at the park where I saw him sit at our usual spot.

I wasn't going to fool around with him. This was also the first time I ever saw him cry.

"Sungjongie! Yah! Sungjongie!" I called till he turned around. "What's wrong? Why did you run away from school?"

"Just leave me alone MinJee... I really don't want to talk about it..." he mumbled.

"You say that about everything. How do you expect people to help you if you don't even say what's wrong? Help isn't just going to come out of nowhere. You need to allow others hear what's on your mind."

"Well what if I don't want anyone to help me. What if I just want to live like a lonely person?"

"Yah!! I will not tolerate with this type of behavior. You need to it up and just allow people to help you."

"I don't want help."

"Sungjongie. That's your problem. You just make things difficult as it is." I felt my voice rise a little. But I took a deep breath and continued to talk calmy. "Look I already know why you're here anyway... Those kids. They were making fun of you weren't they?"

He turned to me looking shocked. "H-How did you know that?"

"I'll explain later. Kaja." I took his hand.

"Where are we going?"

"We're going to make everyone part of that crowd apologize to you. It's not right to make fun of someone. I'll make sure they drop to their knees and that they all say they're sorry." I took his hand and headed back to the school.

The same group had remained the same place before I had went to go get Sungjong. When I demanded they apologize to Sungjong, the leader of the group stepped forward.

"Who says I have to?" he said.

"Me. Do it or you'll get a bloody nose." I hissed.

"Oh so scary. I'm not afraid—"

Before he could finish, I slapped his face and pushed him against the wall then grabbed him by the collar. "Apologize! Now! Or you get more of this. But worse."

I saw him nod. When I let go of him, he fell to his knees. He seemed so in shock when I did that. The boy still didn't move from his spot. All he did was just stare at the ground.

"Yah!!! Get up and say it to him! Don't make me come over there!" I turned to his group who were just looking at me with horror. "What are you all looking at? Go say you're sorry as well. You're all victims. You don't want to end up like your leader do you?"

Without hesitation, his group all went to apologize to Sungjong. After they did that, the group ran off. I made sure none of them told on me on giving them death threats. I looked at Sungjong who gave me a little smile.

"Gomawo MinJee." he said.

"It's what friends are for... But you don't have to be my friend if you don't want to... I understand completely—"

"MinJee what are you talking about. We're friends. And we should trust each other. Like I do now." he grabbed my hand. "Kaja. Or we'll be late for class"
*END OF FLASHBACK*

As I continued to stare at the window I felt someone's hand on my shoulder. I looked up and saw it was Eun-Mi. She gave me a smile and sat across from me.

"Don't worry MinJee, everything will be okay, I'm sure he hasn't forgotten about you." she said.

I felt the need to ask "what if" questions but I didn't want to have an argument over something so stupid. Instead I remained silent thinking of where he is right now. But there was one question that still haunts me: what if he doesnt love me in return?

A tear drop then rolled down my cheeck.