Keeping Up with Appearances

A Visit From The Past

Eunkwang POV

Minju and I have been dating for months now.

Until graduation. That’s like a month away. What’ll happen after that? Will we still be the same during college? I don’t know where Minju’s going. I know where I’m going. Not sure what I want to do, but I know where I’m going. What about after college? Will we still be together? Will we have lost touch? Will we-                             

 “Will noona make more kimbap?” Sungjae asked, with eyes like an expectant dog.  Donggeun picked up his head and his eyes lit up.

“YEEEEES! Will she? Will she? Will she?” It was ascary to see him jumping like an excited puppy. He grabbed my arm. “Oh pleeeease ask her to make more, Eunkwang! Pleeeeease!”

“All right! Be nice to her and I’ll ask her. Now get off of me!”

“Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Kimbap!”

“Speaking of Min Ju, where is she?” asked Minhyuk. “You didn’t walk with her today?”

“She had already left before I got to her house.” I replied.

“Hmmm, you two seemed joined at the hip sometimes.” He swirled around what was left in his water bottle. Then he looked up with wide eyes. “You’re not starting to like her are you?”

“That’s not part of the bet, why would I do that?” I threw back at him. Minhyuk will never let me live it down if he found out that I started liking Min Ju the nerd girl. It would give him ultimate satisfaction if he found out that I fell for a girl he picked.

“Man, don’t give me that junk! Do you or do you not? Have you kissed her?” 

This stunned me for a second. I do like Min Ju, a lot. Do I love her? If I do, why do I still call her “nerd girl” like everyone else does when I know she’s so much more than that? “Nerd girl” hardly even describes her. She’s like this nymph that gets lost in what she reads and pours her books onto how she sees the world. She’s not afraid to call something plain beautiful. She’s not afraid to look for complex pattern in simple things that get overlooked in everyday life.

She brings out the dork in me, I hate to admit it. She does that like only she can. She makes me feel comfortable that I feel like no matter how weird or un-suave I can get, she’ll still like me. She doesn’t expect some cool guy act from me.  It still gets me on edge though sometimes when we’re not together. I’m afraid that she’ll see how cool and great other people are and will wonder why she’s with me. I’m afraid she’ll leave me. She sees talent and passion in me. Nobody else see those things in me.

“Minhyuk, why are you getting so defensive about this?” Changsub asked.

“Are you starting to like Min Ju?” Hyunsik asked. Minhyuk whipped his head so fast in Hyunsik’s direction that I’m surprised he didn’t get whiplash.

“Why are you redirecting this at me?” Eunkwang is the one who’s going to break her heart with all the time he’s been spending with her. Min Ju is good to all of us. Why should she end up with a broken heart?”

“Yah, Eunkwang, does Min Ju like you?” Changsub asked.

This question also stunned me momentarily. I don’t know what Min Ju feels about me. I kinda don’t want to know. What if she doesn’t feel the same way about me that I feel for her?

“Guys we gotta go or we’ll be late.” Sungjae told us while stuffing a book in his backpack.

“What does it matter? We’ll be gone in a month or so, it’s not like they can do anything.” Minhyuk retorted with frustration in his eyes.

“You keep thinking that, but I don’t want to be cleaning the school when I could be sleeping at home.”

“Uuuughh! Fine!” Minhyuk yelled as he threw his backpack over his shoulder with enough force able to launch a cannonball. Which I’m pretty sure he would’ve liked to throw at me if he could.

As we walked to class, Changsub’s question kept swirling in my head. Does Min Ju really like me? Is she just being nice? Does she get excited about me the same way I get excited when I think about her? What she think of me? What if she thinks I’m just a lame, cheesy joke?

The first thing I noticed when I walked in the room was that my jacket was on the back of my seat. I smiled. Min Ju must have done that.

 My smile shrank really quickly when I saw that she was leaning over Hyungmoon’s desk. 

 

Min Ju’s POV

Somehow I understood the concepts that Hyungmoon was having trouble with, which surprised me because I’m not the best student when it comes to math. Algebra would make me frustrated. Numbers and letters are like oil and water to me-they don’t mix, AT ALL. They belong in separate worlds. Math, please stop asking me to find your x because I don’t know where she went or y she left. I can’t take credit for that. I saw it on a meme once. It was pure gold, it captured my feelings so well.

Hyungmoon is such a quick learner; why he struggles is still unclear to me. Maybe he just needs someone to explain it differently to him. There were some things he had more trouble understanding than others. He would have trouble with the easy things toward the end of the problem. He’d miss a sign or forget to factor. That’s how he messed up the ious problems he worked out, by missing little details toward the end.  

We were correcting the last problem on the practice page when people started trickling into the room.   Hyungmoon handed the paper to me to look over it one last time.

“Good. Much better. Just watch out for the little things because if you mess those up, then you ruin all the work you did before.” I told him as I handed the paper back to him.

“Ah, arraso.”

“Do you understand everything, or is some of it still fuzzy?”

“I understand what you explained.”

“Good.” I stood up and smiled.

“Min Ju, I have to take the final exam for math, could you tutor me some more?”

“Sure!” I nodded eagerly. I didn’t have to take any of my exams. Hallelujah for exemptions! “When do you want to study?”

“When are you free?”

“I’m free after and before school and during lunch.” I told him as I ticked times off on my fingers. “But if you want to do it before school, let me know ahead of time so that I can get here earlier.”

“Okay! How about at lunch today?”

“Sure! I’ll see you at lunch then.” I smiled brightly.

“See you later.” He gave a smile. You know, I’ve never had a crush on Hyungmoon or anything, but everyone has this one thing they do that makes them attractive. For Hyungmoon it’s his smile. There’s something alluring about the way he smiles. It’s not overly cheery but at the same time it’s not insincere.

I went to my desk and started pulling things out from my backpack. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a pair of shoes walking my way. Eunkwang’s shoes. The colors on his shoes don’t even look good. What was he thinking when he bought those? I know most guys don’t care much about fashion at this age, but seriously! A four-year old would say that the colors looked ugly! It’s funny; I’ve never really cared about how awful his shoes looked. I overlooked that. He had a smile on his face. It seemed strained. Fake, like our relationship.

“Morning, Eunkwang-ah.” I said to him, a bright little smile of my own on my face. Somehow, I’ll make him pay, but for now I’ll make seem like nothing changed.

“Good morning, Min Ju. What were you talking about with Hyungmoon?” I changed my smile to an annoyed frown.

“Why?” I smirked and raised an eyebrow. “Are you jealous?” His cheeks turned a slight pink color.

“Anya, just….”

I let out a seemingly playful sigh. “I was helping him with some homework. Speaking of tutoring, how did that history test go?” Why am I just now asking about this? It seems like it was so long ago.

“It went really well. I got an A on it, all thank to you.” He gave a cheesy smile, showing all his teeth .I gasped and clapped my hands together. “I’m so happy for you!”

“You know what this means.”

“What does it mean?” I cocked my head to one side and scrunched my eyebrows.

“You have to hold up your end of the deal.” He replied with a smirk. My end of the deal? What is he-

“Ahh, right. I remember.” The date. Great. How am I supposed to get myself out of this one? “But Eunkwnag-ah, I have to tutor Hyunmoon for his math final so the date might have to wait. Mianhae”

“When are you tutoring him?”

“At kunch and after school.” Hyungmoon might not have said after school, but I’ll sya anything to keep away from Eunkwang right now.

“Lunch today?”

“Yes, we start today.” I’ve helped Hyungmoon study in the past, even in middle school. This will be the first time that we do hardcore studying together though.

“Can I come along?”

“Umm no, I need him to focus and I’m afraid you’ll be a distraction.”

“Me?” He pointed to himself like he accused of a crime he didn’t commit. “If anything, you’d be a distraction, with all your youthful beauty.” He tried to reach for my hands. But I pulled them away with a smile. This jerk really has a way with words.

“I think you should go sit down, chabgi.” I watched the top of his ears turn cherry red while he smiled wide. “What are you doing looking like a pabo? Go sit.” I grabbed him by the shoulders and turned him around.

            I watched him with inner disgust as I took my seat. I think I have a plan, but right now I still need him to think that I like him.

            He’ll pay a cold price. Of blood.

….
Okay, maybe not blood, but he’ll pay. He’ll pay a very cold price.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, hello there! I know i said that i would update in June and for not holding up to that. The summer's been off to a busy start, which is really diferent for me. There was also one week when i just was not feeling phsuiacally well and couldn't focus. I planned to write this week adn update, but because of family matters it deosn't look like i'll be able to update more this week. Hopefully i'll snag some time to write here and there, but i don't think i'll have a chance to update until this weekend. I felt really bad for not updating for so long, so i worked to get this posted today.

Thank you lovely readers for another upvote! It's like ahcivieng a goal to see that you all like the story so much! Thank you all! I love you!! 
tumblr_mbn7qx1DzF1rs9xxso1_400.jpg 

oh, how he messes up my bias list!

 

201210081631778926_50728235954f6.jpg

 

I can say right now that i've got some major dram planned for this story but what would you guys like to see happen in the story? 

I'd love to hear from you all!!