A Surprise Return

A Visit From The Past

Minju POV

That sly little-

I kinda can’t believe he did that, kinda can. What a dork. A dork who’s able to make my face red and my knees a little wobbly. I smiled to myself as I walked home. He’s actually more complex than I thought. He says some pretty intelligent things and comes up with some witty (also cheesy) one-liners. Plus, he’s a really good writer. I had no idea he liked to write. And kept a journal. Like I do.                                                                    He’s not really who I thought he’d be; he’s a lot more intriguing than that. Then again, I didn’t really know that much about him. He was like this distant, attractive object that I could look at and watch through a window and interaction wasn’t really an option.

But now, here we are walking each other home, laughing, talking-more than I ever thought I could be involved with him. Funny how things can change. But I have no idea why Eukwang approached me now. What made him do that? We’ve been in the same class for a while but we didn’t really talk. Or interact. At all. Why did he suddenly approach me? Not that I’m not happy that he did, it’s just..it’s all a little…sudden.

I didn’t give much thought to that question because I saw someone pacing in front of my house. The figure was too tall to be my mother, plus she doesn’t get back until later. Dad said he wouldn’t come home for five more days when I called him three days ago.

            I looked around for something to hide behind in case this was someone with bad intentions. Eureka! A bush! I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to see a bush in all my life. I ducked behind it and peered out a little since the bush was positioned closer to the house.

            No way. That’s just not possible. There’s no way it could be him. I slowly got up from behind the bush and took a few more steps toward the house.

“Minhyuk oppa?” I called, squinting my eyes.

He turned to me fully now. He smiled wide with so much warmth that he could make a blanket form it. “Mini!” He held his arms out wide.

I ran to him and flung my arms around him. Tears were welling up in my eyes, I told myself I couldn’t cry yet. I didn’t listen, apparently, since I could feel something trail slowly down my left cheek.  He lifted me off the ground and swung me around.

“My Minnie, I’m back.”

“Oppa, I missed you.” I told him when he put me down again, tears still falling.

“I missed you too.” He told me as he wiped my cheeks dry. I thought I could see his eyes water up. I hugged him again.

“Please don’t leave again; it was too lonely without you.”

“Really?”

I nodded.

“Well, I made a lot of friends so I wasn’t lonely for a second.” He teased.

“Oppa, you haven’t been back for five minutes and you’re already being mean.”

“It’s in the job description; also I’ve been back since….” He looked at his watch. “12:00.”

“Why didn’t you tell me you were coming back today?” Irritation and anger started to surface in my tone.

“We wanted to surprise you?”

“Who else is ‘we’?

“Omma and Appa wanted to surprise you too.”

My eyes widened. “They were in on this?”

He nodded.

“How could you all just-“ He knew what was about to come so he wrapped me up in bear hug.

“Aww c’mon, just enjoy the fact that I’m home.”

“I will not-“

“Omma, Appa, Mini’s home!” Mini. I hadn’t been called that for so long.

“They’re home, both of them?”

“Uh-huh. Just for me.” He gave a full toothed grin.

“Appa!’ I hugged him. He was still wearing a business suit. “You said you wouldn’t be home for another five days.”

“All part of the plan, so we knew you wouldn’t be expecting it.” He winked. I seethed on the inside.

“Where’s Omma?”

“In here.” She called from what sounded like the kitchen. I walked in and saw all these dishes filled with appealing food. Sure, I smelled some things when I got in the house, but I had no idea what they were since my mother doesn’t usually cook since she’s so busy and Appa’s usually away. It’s usually me handling culinary matters.

“Omma! You made all this?”

“Your mother’s got a few tricks up her sleeve.” She was stirring a pot on the stove so her back was turned to me.

“How else do you think she was able to enamor me?” Appa said with a beaming smile as he walked into the kitchen. Omma turned to me.

“He’s right you, know. Feed him, and you can get him to do whatever you want.” I laughed at this.

“You, pretend like you never heard that.” Appa advised.

“You actually think I would use this information against you.” I replied with wide, innocent eyes.

“It’s a possibility.”

I gasped. “I am insulted that you would think me to do such a manipulative thing.”

“Well, it worked for your mother.” At that, I burst out laughing. “Hey, it could work for you too.”

“YAH!” Omma yelled. I jumped since it was so sudden and unexpected. “Jung Minhuyk, put down that piece of chicken right now.” Her eyes foretold consequences if he didn’t do as she said. His arms were up in surrender, as if he had just been caught by the police. Even a twenty something year old can still get a scolding from his mother. “You wait until it’s all done and we’re all ready to eat.”

“Yes, Emoni.” He said in a strong tone while placing the chicken back on the serving dish. I hadn’t really noticed it until now, but his arms had gotten bigger. More muscle. His whole body had gained more muscle. I suppose it would be pitiful to spend two plus years training and drilling without coming out with some new muscle mass.

“And take your hat off when you’re inside.” I had to suppress a smile at that one. HE did as Omma told him then set his hat on the counter. His hair was so short now.

 

Minhyuk was wolfing down all he could get his hands on. I slipped some on my food onto his plate when nobody was looking.

“Do they not feed you properly?”

“All of us are fed. But MREs do not even compare to Emoni’s cooking.”

“I should hope not.” She replied with slightly disgusted eyes. “That would be plain embarrassing if they did.” She said before putting more kimchi on her plate.

“Mini.” I turned my head to face to Minhyuk who had noodles hanging from his mouth.

“Hmmm?”

Thankfully, he swallowed before choosing to talk again.

“Have you sent out your applications yet?”

“I have, so now it’s just a waiting game.” I replied. He nodded and turned his attention back to his plate. “Have you sent your applications out yet?” I asked. He looked up again, noodles jammed between his teeth. “Chew then swallow.” I told him.  He did so with a loud gulp.

“Woman, I just got back, and you expect me to have that all done?”

“It was a question, calm thineself. But you still need to do it.”

“I know, I plan on getting everything finalized then sent out by the end of this week.”

“Then it’ll be a waiting game for both of us.”

“At least I’ll be playing with someone.” We smiled before he went back to shoving noodles in his mouth.