A Surprise Call

A Visit From The Past

Min Ju POV

I came out of the bathroom to the sound of a ringing phone; I ran scrambling to find it.

“Hello?”

“Min Ju-ah?”

“Appa!”

“Hey sweetie.” It’s like I could hear him smile. “How was school?”

“Not completely boring but not fascinating either. How’s New York City?” My father is a literary agent and right now he’s meeting with a client who lives in NYC.

“Busy. No wonder it’s called the city that never sleeps.” I laughed and so did he.

“Where’s your mother?”

“She was here when I came home but then got a call from the office asking her to come back in. She told me not to wait up for her, so she might not come back at all tonight.”

“Wah, that’s the third all-nighter that her team’s pulled this week.”

“Yeah it is. This proposal must be huge.”

“I think you’re right.”

“But mom hardly complains about her job though.” My mom works for a cosmetics company and right now the company is coming up with ideas for a new product. They want to release one more product before the year is up.

“She doesn’t.”

“It makes me worry about her. I’m making breakfast for her before I leave for school tomorrow.”

“That sounds like a good idea.”

“Oh, appa!”

“Yes sweetie?”

“There’s this boy and I think he and I are dating.”

“You think you’re dating this boy? Why do you think you’re dating him? Why not just say you are dating him?”

“Because I’m not too sure if we are.”

“It sounds like you’re talking in a way only women can understand. Explain this more to your father, who is a man, please.” I laughed.

“Well, he asked me out of the blue one day. He never even talked to me before that.”

“Mhmm and what do you think of him?”

“I’ve been having a crush on him ever since junior high.”

“That one? That’s the one you’re dating?” Both my parents know about my crush, I don’t think there’s anything they don’t know about me.

“Yeah it is.”

“Does your mother know about this?”

“Yeah she sees us walking home together every day and in the morning too.”

“He walks with you to and from school?”

“Yes he does.”

“So haven’t you wanted this? Why are you suspicious about it?”

“I’m not suspicious, it’s just….. I don’t know maybe it’s because this is all so sudden.”

“Well, be careful.”

“That’s it? You’re not gonna stop me from dating him or anything?”

There was a silence on the other line before he said, “No of course not. As long as your mother approves then it’s ok. She does approve right?”

“Yes she does.” I laughed.

“Ok then.”

“So when are you coming back?”

“I should be back in a couple of days but I’m not sure. Things may come up that’ll keep me here. But when I do come back I wanna see this boy.”

“That’s the reaction I was waiting on.” I said breaking into a fit of giggles.

“I just-“

“Appa?” No answer. “APPA?!!”

“ Min Ju?”

“Appa are you ok? Your voice cut off.”

“Yes, sweetie I’m fine.  I’ve got a call waiting.”

“Oh, ok then. Good night appa. I love you.”

“I love you too. Sleep well.

“You too and don’t stress!”

I heard him laugh. “I’ll do my best.” After that I heard a click then I hit the “end” button on my phone.

I looked in the fridge to see what there was to eat. I saw leftover kimchi. I’m eating ramen and kimchi. And Pocky. A well balanced meal, sort of. 

_________________________________________________

Kinda short, I know but just wait ^^