9

The Puppeteer

 

Yongguk wouldn’t let me go home after I had gone through my melt down. After over an hour of coaxing he managed to make me tell him why I was upset, and that had only upset me more. He should have been working. I had only been able to convince him to go back to work with promises of going to sleep. He handed me one of my sleep medicines but I had refused. I didn’t want to sleep that long.

It was hard to sleep in Yongguk’s office. There was too much light and Yongguk liked to talk to himself as he worked. He had always been that way. I kept my eyes closed though so he would continue working. I felt slightly better just being around him. “What’s your mental patient doing here, Boss?”

“He’s not a mental patient.” Yongguk spat, slamming his fist onto his desk. He never let the other detectives insult me. “I am your boss and Himchan is my boyfriend. He can be here if I want him to be.”

“But why is he here? Shouldn’t he be sleeping at his home or whatever people like him do?” I recognised the detective’s voice. He had never been a fan of me and if I remembered correctly he had tried to get Yongguk demoted several times. He said that Yongguk couldn’t be dedicated to his job and me at the same time.

“I’d rather he sleep here. I haven’t been home in days.” Yongguk’s voice got slightly deeper when he was pissed. He tried to control his anger, and it worked for the most part. I was the only person who knew that he did that. “Did you need something or has it just been too long since your last write up for insubordination? I can give you one if you want?”

The detective made a few spluttering noises but exited the room, slamming the door behind him. I tried not to be hurt by his words but it was a struggle. I didn’t even have to be awake to cause problems for my boyfriend. “I know you’re awake Himchan.”

“Am not.” I mumbled, blowing my cover completely. I cursed myself and sat up. “Should I go home Guk?”

“Why would I want you to go home?”

“Because I cause problems. You’re the boss now. The other detectives should respect you.” I turned around to face him, draping myself over the arm of the couch. “They’re not going to if they think you’re too invested in a mental patient…”

He walked over to me, sitting down on the floor like before. “I will always be more invested in my boyfriend than I am in this job.” His hand slid up my back and he smiled softly at me. “He is far more important to me than anything will ever even hope to be.” His hand slid back down my body to pat my behind. “I know he thinks he’s crazy but he isn’t. He’s perfect.” He massaged my backside gently, leaning in to press our foreheads together. “I’ve thought that for twenty-five years.”

“Did you miss the last four years of our lives? Did you get hit on the head?” There was no way he could think I was perfect. I had had more ups and downs than any person should have had in six lifetimes. “Should I remind you of the time I got arrested for screaming at air in the middle of Seoul?”

“You are not your disease Himchan.” I was pulled off the couch and into my boyfriend’s lap without any warning. I curled up, trying to get comfortable in his grasp. “I want you to stay here. Please?”

“Can I?”

“I want you to.” He tightened his grip on me and placed his lips on my forehead. “Please stay?” I nodded my head into his chest and he gave me another kiss. “Did you take your medicine today Baby?”

“I took the crazy pills. You didn’t leave out enough of the lithium.” I struggled with the word of the medication. I couldn’t figure out how to pronounce it – neither the ‘l’ nor the ‘th’ ever came out of my mouth properly – and for some reason that amused Yongguk. He thought it was cute. “I ran out of that yesterday… Doctor said to take it four times a day, but you only left out enough for three a day… It’s okay though, it hasn’t had any effect yet anyway.”

“I’ll get you one.” He moved me out of his lap and retrieved one of my pills from his desk. He handed it to me with a bottle of water and stared at me expectantly. I didn’t really want to take the pill but I knew I didn’t have any choice. I put it in my mouth and swallowed it dry, I debated rebelling against Yongguk and not drinking any water but the look he gave me told me not to even try. I drank half of the bottle and he smiled at me. “I’m going to try and finish filling out my paperwork, okay Baby?”

“I’ll be quiet.” I pulled out of his grasp in order to climb back up onto the couch. “I’ll try to nap again. I didn’t sleep well last night.”

“Why not?”

“Didn’t take my poison.”

He sighed, clearly disappointed in me. The sleep poison was also supposed to help keep my mind in order. “Why didn’t you take your medicine Channie?”

“I don’t like it…” I mumbled, rolling over so I wouldn’t have to see his disappointment. “I’m scared I won’t wake up if I take it…” It was bad. I’d told him that. He never listened when I told him my medicine was bad. “I don’t want to not wake up…”

Yongguk ran his fingers through my hair. He didn’t seem upset with me and that calmed me down slightly. “Does it scare you that much?”

“Yeah…” He probably thought I was just being paranoid again. It wouldn’t have been anything new. I really wanted him to believe me though.

His fingers brushed through my hair but he didn’t say anything for a while. “You don’t have to take it then Baby. I won’t make you take it.” He kissed the back of my head and I felt the couch dip down under his weight. “Try to sleep though, okay?” I nodded my head and that seemed to be enough for him.

I had just gotten comfortable on the couch when I heard a loud bang. I jumped. I had no idea if the sound was real or not and so I decided the best thing to do was pretend I hadn’t heard it. I bit my lip, trying my hardest to ignore the sound.

After four bangs I sat up, wiping at my face and looked over to my boyfriend. He noticed me after a few minutes and hurried to my side. “Guk?” I threw myself at him, ignoring the groan he released when his back hit the ground. “Do you hear the bangs?”

He sighed again and wrapped his arms tightly around me. “That’s what you’re upset about Baby?” I nodded my head into his chest, digging my nails into his chest. “I’ll make it stop.”

“Are they real?” I whimpered, trying my hardest not to start crying into his chest.

“They are. I’ll make them stop. Don’t worry.” He kissed the top of my head and put me back on the couch. I curled up in a ball and I felt him put something over me. “I’ll make it stop.”

______

Update :D this isn't the most eventful chapter. one of yongguk's co-workers is mean to himchan and yongguk makes him feel better. i really need to think of things to say in these author's notes or stop doing them. i have to leave for school in 13 minutes and I really just don't want to do it. 
well, i hope you enjoyed this update~ i'll see you on tuesday~
hopefully you'll leave some nice comments, it makes me happy when people comment. :D