(Mark/Mina) Hey where you're looking at?

Alternate

Mina steals another glance at her colleague who's busy stacking away new stocks of canned drinks at the rack while she stands biting her lower lip behind the counter, hesitating whether it is a good time to say what she has in mind.

 

It is a rather peaceful afternoon at the convenience store. The morning rush has passed when people from all kinds of age range drop in to grab some quick breakfast or their coffee fix, so they are left by themselves save from the one or two customers who come in every now and then. Mina, slightly tired from the lack of sleep due to her staying up till late to finish up her paper the last several nights, stifles a yawn before glancing back at Yien.

 

"What do you want from me, Mina?" he asks without even a turning his head to her.

 

Startled at being caught, she stands up straighter and scratches her head out of awkwardness. "Um, you're free this Sunday, aren't you?" she begins after much contemplating.

 

Finally done with the new stock, Yien raises his eyebrows quizzically at her before he rises to his feet while straightening out his uniform. "Why?"

 

"Well, I have stuff to do so I was wondering if you can swap shifts with me. I'll take over the night and you'll have the morning."

 

Just then, the door opens and there enters a guy who appears to be around their age. Their conversation is cut short as they both chorus a greeting to welcome the new customer. However as Yien comes out from the storage room after keeping the box, he resumes it.

 

"Why?" he questions again, not quite satisfied with the answer received.

 

Mina eyes the guy who's currently standing in between the ready-to-eat food shelf, seeming lost in thought while he stares at the racks of rice rolls and its likes, pretty uncomfortable with the presence of an outsider overhearing their conversation so she patiently waits for him to finally make up his mind and make his purchases before answering Yien's question.

 

"Well?" Yien, now standing not too far from her behind the counter, bugs again after the customer leaves.

 

"Uh," she hesitates and looks away to avoid his gaze. "I have a date in the afternoon."

 

"A date?"

 

"Blind date," she confesses.

 

"Blind date?"

 

"Yes!" she explodes, slightly irritated for having to reveal that bit of information to him.

 

Making it even worse, he bursts into a fit of laughter - the kind that turns his face red. However it subsides almost immediately when he notices the look on her face. "Sorry,"he mumbles but still smiling. "But why?"

 

"Well, obviously I can't go to the date if I have to work that afternoon, and it's your shift, not anybody else's so I have to ask you."

 

"No no, I mean why would you need to go on a blind date?"

 

"Because I'm looking for a boyfriend?"

 

"Hmm," comes as his only respond.

 

"Is that a yes?"

 

He shakes his head. "Nope. I'm not switching."

 

"What? Why?" Mina's forehead creases.

 

"Because you don't need to go."

 

"Why not?"

 

"Because, Kwon Mina," he begins with mischief tugging on his smile, "you're looking too far."

 


late birthday present for Lisa darling! how are you still so young?
this might be a teaser for something, or might not be