(Sunggyu/Sunye) Maybe

Alternate

He has always been a fan of hers ― her heart melting voice, her burning passion that is reflected in her eyes, her warm personality, and even her sweet smile.

 

For years ever since the debut of the five-member group called Wonder Girls, Kim Sunggyu has always been paying close attention to them, especially to this one particular member.

 

He never understood exactly what is it about Min Sunye that attracts him to her. Maybe it is one of the reasons mentioned previously, maybe it was because they both share the same burning passion for singing ― with the only difference between them was that she has debuted and he hadn’t ―but then again, she stands out to him from the very first time he laid his eyes on them.

 

With those questions in his head never really answered, he continued to be a fan of hers. Before he could realize it, he began to dream a dream that seemed impossible even to himself ― a duet.

 

Years passed since her debut, and also since his own. Despite the vigorous dance practices and vocal trainings, despite his insane schedules that leave him craving for sleep most of the times, Sunggyu has never forgotten about the silly dream of his. Always, he would wish to be promoting a song at the same time as Wonder Girls, so that he could catch a glimpse of Sunye from a close range in the hallways or at the end of music shows. He even prepared his possible introductory speeches if they were to meet and practiced it over and over in his head.

 

“Hello, I’m from Infinite. My name is Sunggyu. I’m the leader just like you,”

 

“Nice to meet you, I’m Sunggyu from Infinite,”

 

“My name is Sunggyu. I’m your fan,”

 

“I’m Sunggyu. I like you,”

 

But more often than not, he would freeze at the sight of her and would only be able to greet her with a polite bow. And she would do the same while smiling his favourite smile, sending more butterflies to his stomach. He would loathe himself afterwards for being the idiot that he was.

 

Never did he imagine, though, that the silly dream of his would come true.

 

“Special stage?” he asked, flabbergasted.

 

“Yup,” Jungryeol nodded in confirmation.

 

At that moment, Sunggyu could have sworn that a part of him died right then and there.

 

But unfortunately for him, his Sunye was not his partner for the stage. She was Woohyun’s, and he could only watch her longingly from afar during their rehearsals.

 

“Go talk to her if you like her that much,” said Yeeun in between their breaks while flashing an encouraging smile.

 

Startled, he could only shake his head in denial. “I’m just a normal fan,” he told her.

 

And so he went on stage like that ― feeling at lost and grateful all at once. He would steal several glances at her during her part when he thought the camera is off him, and wondered at the same time if it was wrong to like her and that this was some sort of a punishment.

 

The song ended, the special stage ended, the long awaited ‘duet’ ended. He returned his microphone to one of the staffs and was about to head to his waiting room, when he heard a voice behind him.

 

“Hey, wait,”

 

He didn’t have to glance around to know who it was, because it was a voice he has long stored in his memory and never want to forget. Even so, with that trembling heart of his, he stopped on his track and turned back. “Y-yes?” he stuttered, almost forgetting to greet her with his usual 90 degrees bow.

 

Sunye was wearing his favourite smile. She was breathless from all the running, and it made him wonder if it was to catch up with him. “Hello,” she began. “I believe I haven’t introduced myself properly to you. I’m Sunye,”

 

“I know,” he blurted out, then quickly added. “I mean who doesn’t?”

 

She laughed a little.

 

“Sunggyu,” he returned. “And to be honest I’ve always been a fan of yours,”

 

“Really?”

 

“Really,”

 

“I’m a fan of yours too,”

 

“Really?”

 

“Really,” she nodded, before extending her right hand. “Nice to meet you, Sunggyu-ssi,”

 

He hesitated at first, but mustered up his courage and took her hand. “Nice to meet you, Sunye-ssi,”

 

For a minute which felt to him like an eternity, they both continued to stare at each other and smiled each other’s favourite smile.

 

Maybe, he thought, it wasn’t wrong at all.