(Jinyoung/Ara) Birthday gift

Alternate

 

“How was your birthday?”

 

“The boys and our manager and the staffs prepared a surprise party in our waiting room after our performance. Fans sent some presents and many good messages and even sang the birthday song. And my mum called afterwards and we had a chat for a while. It was nice.”

 

“That was more than just ‘nice’, Jinyoung.”

 

“Could be better.”

 

“Better how?”

 

“Better if I get to see you.”

 

Ara sighed. “You know that’s not possible.”

 

Silence engulfed them and they could only hear each other breathe over the line. Jinyoung lied with his back flat on his bed, staring into the darkness that was his ceiling, thinking of things he’d like to do with her that they can only imagine. He closed his eyes and played the same dream in his head.

 

“Still there?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Did you fall asleep?”

 

“No,” he chuckled. “I miss your voice.”

 

“You’re listening to it now.”

 

“Sing me the birthday song.”

 

“Now?”

 

“No, tomorrow.”

 

“Got it. Tomorrow.”

 

“Now!”

 

She giggled. “I was kidding!” She cleared and pretended to warm her voice up the way she always does before she sings, and that made him laugh. “Happy b―”

 

The line was cut off all of a sudden. Jinyoung could only blink and stare at his phone before trying her (manager’s) number again, but only the voicemail greeted him.

 

He heard a knock on the door, soft and almost inaudible that he thought he heard it wrong at first. Realizing everyone in the house is already fast asleep, he groggily forced himself up and headed to the door while muttering under his breath Who on earth would come at this hour?.

 

“―birthday to you!”

 

His eyes widened at the sight of the petite girl with long black hair and big doe eyes. Ara was standing in front of him holding a slice of chocolate cake with half melted unlit candle on a paper plate. “Surprise!” she whispered (in case others would be awakened if she yelled). “Wind blew the candle off and I didn’t have any matches left.”

 

“You said it was not possible.”

 

“I didn’t say it was impossible, though.” She handed him the cake. “Present number one.” Then a small bouquet of wild flowers that she obviously plucked somewhere on her way here. “Present number two.” She looked at him and inhaled deeply. “And present number three.” She put her hand on his eyes, stood on tiptoe and leaned in. His lips tasted of his peppermint toothpaste and that made her smile. “Happy birthday.”

 


This is for shinhyunae, because I can't get this couple off my mind ever since you suggested it.