Christmas gift

Alternate

a/n: this is a present for a very good friend of mine! the guy is
vixx's n but you're allowed to imagine him as someone else haha.
merry early christmas to those who celebrate :)


 

She doesn’t believe in such things like miracles. She doesn’t believe in making wishes and having them granted without hard work. She believes in working hard for herself instead of relying on others to relieve her burdens. She believes in not having expectations because she knows that way she will not be disappointed. She believes only in logical things, like the way numbers always add up and never changes in Mathematics. She believes in the things she can see and putting efforts in the things she does.

 

She believes in working on the night before Christmas, because no one wants to have that shift and she gets double the pay as offered by the manager, and with that money she can treat herself to her favourite food, buy that pretty shirt she saw the other day and maybe get her favourite band’s new album as well. She believes in that sense of comfort of having all that space for herself, unless when customers come in every now and then to do last minute grocery shopping or to buy whatever things that they ran out of, and looking out the window and watch the passing pedestrians whose faces are brighter than the brilliant lights illuminating the street.

 

She believes in the genuineness of her voice welcoming the new customer when the door opens and rings because she believes in making customers happy so that they keep coming back, but she doesn’t believe in the person entering the convenience store she’s working at. She doesn’t like the way her heart sinks at the sight of him, and the way her stomach churns when his lopsided grin graces his lips.

 

He is the first one to speak. “I’m not late, am I?”

 

She doesn’t get what he means by that and she doesn’t want to ask either, so she simply ignores him and rereads the list of stocks that she doesn’t need to even read.

 

“Hey,” he calls when she doesn’t respond as he makes his way over to her with only counter separating them. She is slightly relieved for that little barricade they have.

 

“What? Why are you here?”

 

“Delivering your Christmas gift.”

 

“I’m working.”

 

“I won’t take long.”

 

She exhales a sigh in surrender, looking straight at him. “Okay.” Before she can say more, he leans in and presses his lips to hers.

 

It lasts for no longer than five seconds, but to her the kiss feels like eternity. After he pulls away, she just stares at him, her eyes searching his face. It breaks into a smile. “Merry Christmas,” he says.

 

She watches his figure retreating, and soon it disappears among the mass of people and lights outside. At last she remembers to breathe and hears her own heart thumping.

 

She doesn’t believe in such things as miracles. She doesn’t believe in having her wish come true unless she works hard for it. But she recalls and relives the incident just now, and she thinks maybe, just maybe, she’ll believe in all these ridiculous things, and in him, just for tonight.