Muscle Memory

Hysterie

"You'll never forget me....EVER! EVER! EVER!"

"CUT!"

Kairi sighed and shook her head at Hoya's expanded face. "Is THAT how you propose to your unrequited love?"

Hoya put down his raised arms and frowned. "That's the dialogue. There's nothing I can do about it!"

"Yeah! But don't make it sound like Frankenstein!"

Jae Hyo and I chuckled as the couple argued for the hundredth time. Kairi had decided to prepare a skit based on a short story I had written as a high-school student. Not only had she become a fan of my work, which she had stumbled upon during Home Room, but she had also become a close friend. So to celebrate our friendship as well as my wedding, she had decided to become director for this one event.

Unfortunately, Hoya had been around the corner.

"Saya," Hoya had hissed the previous night before dinner. "Please, explain your best friend that I can NOT act to save my life, forget about saving a wedding."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "The wedding doesn't need to be saved from anything."

It was only when Hoya began rehearsing did I realize what the impending doom was. Not only was my male best friend terrible at drama, the passionate character of Rui, the tragic lover, had been reduced to a psychotic stalker. Jae Hyo and I had even discussed about taping Hoya's eyes to prevent them from widening into scary buttons.

"Let's not," Jae Hyo interrupted. "Kairi, calm down. Hoya...." My fiance's voice trailed off and he replaced his speechlessness with an awkward smile. Hoya noticed it and I winced at the oncoming fury.

"I TOLD YOU! SEE! EVEN THE BRIDE AND GROOM DON'T WANT THIS!! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU???" 

Kairi took in a deep breath and threw him a glare. "Well, if I am going to be Aoi then who could be better than you for the male lead?"

"Me."

I turned around and saw Woohyun enter the scene, his hands in his pockets and a cool look on his face. The eagerness that would have normally been located on him, was hardly present. Hoya's expression changed in an instant and a blank look came over.

"You're kidding," Kairi muttered. In a louder voice, she said, "It's okay Woohyun, you're the guest--"

"I mean it." Woohyun shrugged and continued, "I'm sick of pretending like nothing happened. We both were friends once upon a time, so let's search for the leftover affinity and throw it all out into this play, okay? Don't worry, you won't rush into an illegal marriage with me."

"YAH YOU--!"

I pulled Kairi away and gave her a look of warning. 'Relax', I mouthed. She pouted and muttered incoherently, walking towards her boyfriend. I glanced at Jae Hyo, who smiled and nodded. From my peripheral view, I saw Woohyun's irritated face and reacted before the situation could get worse.

"It's decided then!" I put on a grin and tried ignoring the numerous looks of disapproval. "Jae Hyo and I have thought it out and--"

"Telepathic freaks," Hoya muttered.

"---from tomorrow, Woohyun and Kairi will play the lead roles of Rui and Aoi respectively!" I enthusiastically hooted and clapped, only to realize that I was the solitary supporter of the decision. Clearing my throat, I walked into the kitchen and shouted, "Why don't all of us sit down for a cup of tea?" I heard footsteps behind me and the moment the door closed, I heaved a sigh.

"Jae Hyo, this is a --"

It was Woohyun.

I controlled my expression and smiled. "Hey." Woohyun smirked and clicked his tongue. "Disappointed?"

I shook my head vigorously and said, "Would you like to help me?" After an awkward pause, I received a nod. Well, there's a start.

(Listen to Planetarium by Ai Otsuka : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFdT_cIQ-5I)

Where was the Woohyun who would whistle while cooking, the Woohyun who would throw a smile even in the most plain situations, the Woohyun who would create an atmosphere of happiness no matter where he went? I wondered what the change was. Slowly looking towards him, I noticed the loss of baby fat on his cheeks, the hard lines that created intimidation rather than invite awe from me. His hair had been severely cut, leaving considerable space below his ears and a lone yet disciplined amount of hair on his forehead. His clothing also had changed, the casual and collected polos and khakis replaced by the roughly thrown in wife-beater and zip-on hoodie. 

 

What was he, a Red Cross official or a mafia hitman?

                                                               ***********************************************************

"Red Cross official or mafia hitman?"

I stopped straining the tea-leaves and cocked my head to the right. Did she just...

I turned around and tried holding in my laughter, as I saw her stare at the sugar pot with extreme contemplation, murmuring questions to herself. She really hadn't changed. Spacing out while deep in her thoughts, Saya used to often voice her inner emotions and opinions without her own knowledge. Often I had caught her hiding her true feelings in that way.

The moment of reminiscence vanished when she returned my gaze. I kept my composure and strained in the last few drops. "Done," I announced and Saya instantly placed seven cups on the tray. I noticed the 'Proud To Be AB!' cup that she had insisted on buying despite it's ridiculously high-price.

"It's just a cup..."

"It's an AB type cup!"

"How can a cup have a blood type?"

"Ugh, you won't understand Woohyun. You're just... typically B."

"Ah...."

Saya caught me staring at the cup, making me jump back from the counter. She had a small smile on her lips and a part of me regrettably softened. 

"You were stubborn." Why did I just say that? Saya though didn't mind. She gave out a small laugh and said, "It was worth it. I never found a cup like this one again."

"I guess so...you always had a thing for... funny stuff."

"Me?" Saya shook her head and I sensed a 'my horse is bigger than yours' conversation. "You were the one who wanted to buy a table with elephant legs!"

"That was a masterpiece! This was a street-buy!"

"Masterpiece, really? What was the name of the sculptor?"

 "Fine, I give up. Happy?"

I turned back to the tray and set the cups in order, shifting to hand it over to Saya. "Here, take the--"

But when I turned, there was nothing. I heard the shutting of a door and rushed footsteps. Irritation arose and I sighed. "Guess our friendship needs some training," I thought. Her behaviour was getting more and more questionable by the minute.

                                                                         *****************************************

"Fine, I give up. Happy?"

I froze while Woohyun set the tray in place. My heartbeat started racing and I scolded it, trying to keep it in control. Slowly I moved back and touched my cheeks. Maybe I was being delusional... why did he do it again?

"I don't want to go!"

"Why? It's the best roller-coaster in town!"

"What if you slip out of the belts?"

"Oh come on Woohyun! That's just stupid!"

Woohyun looked at my face and sighed. "Fine, I give up." He pinched my nose and smiled, "Happy?"

That was when we were a couple. Unconsciously, all our petty quarrels would end like that. A pinching of the nose and the battle would end.

I stared at Woohyun's back as he quietly assembled the cups in balance. He doesn't know he did it, I told myself and before realization could dawn on him, I ran out of the kitchen.

It wasn't Woohyun's action that troubled me. It was my reaction after he had swiftly pulled my cheeks and smiled, the smile I hadn't seen in five years.

It was my decision to put the past behind us and become friends. Then why on Earth was my heart about to explode?