Scheming and Failing

Hysterie

 

(Listen to 왜이러니by T-ara : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJlgAjjCOsM)

Papa and Woohyun got along like a house on fire, that is what one would have said. But watching both of them sitting together, reacting to some football match between a red team and a blue team, one would have thought they were father and son. Not just another father and son relationship, but the type where the two meet after years of separation. Dinner time was suddenly chaotic, the quiet ‘pass the salt’ moments never came, what with Woohyun and Papa playfully arguing about topics that were often deemed by magazines as ‘ones to be avoided, unless you would love to see a mini-Crusade in your living room’. I would try bringing up words like ‘depression’ and ‘psychological problems’ and Papa would instantly change the topic. Once he diverted the talk 360 degrees by saying, “Ah, depression…sadness..sorrow..” The two started playing a game of synonyms. Later, while I was taking out the custard, Papa winked at me and whispered, “Don’t worry, I got your back.”

Yeah, right.

Mama was still fine with it. Despite her advice, I knew that she too liked Woohyun. Things weren’t over yet, maybe this trip could help Woohyun learn about the other side of me. Didn’t he only say, this trip was all about polishing off those corners of my life he had no clue about? Though, how rehab would slip into family bonhomie was a question I tried not to brush upon. One night, I tried approaching Woohyun about my past. I even took a big risk and ‘hid’ my name tag from the rehabilitation centre on the coffee table.

Next thing I know, Mama storms into my room with the bracelet in hand.

“Are you planning on letting him in your life or killing him with shock?? I said talk, not give the poor guy a heart attack!!”

So, that plan was called off.

Few days later, I sent Hoya a message, telling him how I was looking forward to him coming over. Once I was sure that he was the one who had received it, I dropped the formalities and told him to ‘get your down here ASAP or I’ll drown you in coffee.’ He replied with ‘You know you can’t do that!! The café got dibs on me!! Kill me with something else!’

Hence, my Sunday afternoon was spent thinking about the different ways I could kill Hoya without having him throw his Cheshire Cat smile. But my sleepless nights were spent on thoughts of how to get Woohyun to listen to me.

Who knew that a television serial would solve that problem?