The President And The PM

Hysterie

(Listen to Blossom by Ayumi Hamasaki : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5NsAF93ijY)

I woke up early and after relaxing my nerves with a hot water bath, ran to the kitchen. Woohyun was already sitting on the balcony, chatting with Papa. He seemed to be in a good mood, but I could never be sure.

“Since when did you start drinking coffee in the morning?” Mama questioned. I took a sip and shrugged, then said, “Aah. Hoya.”

“That’s a funny sound,” Mama murmured. I widened my eyes and told Mama who Hoya was and she listened intently until I heard the partition door open.

“….so yeah, that’s it. Nothing else.” Woohyun ended the conversation with those words and came to my side. We wished each other good morning and I was glad that he wasn’t being hostile, the worst I had expected of the situation.

“Woohyun was just telling me about his childhood,” Papa announced. Mama and I nodded, sitting down next to each other while the men sat across us. “Did you know about that Haeundae incident, Saya?”

Woohyun was about to say something when I nodded. “Yup, I already do.” My boyfriend raised an eyebrow and I said, “Hoya.”

“That’s a funny sound,” Papa muttered. I spat out my toast and quickly cleaned the table-cloth, excusing myself. Breakfast wasn’t awkward, thank God, but the moment Mama and Papa were done, Woohyun asked if ‘Saya and I can be left alone for a while.’ My parents hastily left and both of us decided to chat under the sun.

Woohyun didn’t wait for anything. “Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

I sighed. “There’s a time for everything. When this trip was planned, I decided to tell you before we left for Seoul. I just didn’t expect us to have an argument over Dexter and slap the report on your face.”

Woohyun  nodded while I pushed the swing back and forth with my legs. Minutes later, he got up from the chair and sat next to me on the swing.

“You know me, Woohyun. If there’s anything you want to ask, ask me. If there’s anything you want to say, say it. Things will be better like that.”

Woohyun nodded again and I puffed up my cheeks. “Are you just going to nod?” He didn’t respond. He just sat there, looking at me, looking at my hands.

 “I just feel terrible,” Woohyun sighed. “About what I said yesterday. If I had known…” He paused and squinted at the sky. He smiled and looked back at me.

“What?” I asked. Woohyun’s smile then tugged down, though it didn’t turn into a frown. His smile…it was…

“I’m sorry if I haven’t understood you,” he started. “And I’m even more sorry about underestimating you.” He linked his arm with mine and we entwined our hands together.

“I think I finally understand what was troubling you for the past few days,” he murmured, guilt resonating from his voice. “I’m not angry you didn’t tell me about this. You’re right, everything has its own time. And I’m glad you chose this trip to tell me about your past, any time sooner or later…even I’m not sure of what would have happened.

“But I DO know of what will happen. We’re fine now, that’s all we need to know. We’re going to walk together now, we don’t need any reason for that. And even though the future is unfamiliar, this one step we’ve taken is a step forward and it’s going to change what had otherwise been in store for us.”

I nodded while he spoke when suddenly, Woohyun made me stand up. Slowly, he brought me towards the stone wall and we looked out towards the small garden. He embraced me from behind and kissed me on my cheek.

“I do have confidence in you, Saya Park.” Warmth spread in me, the same warmth that I had felt during our first meeting. “I was foolish to think that the way we met defined our relationship. I saved you the first time, doesn’t mean you need any more saving do you? You’re strong, I know that, but everytime I look at you,I always see the girl who was helplessly standing in the middle of the road, the headlights of a car swallowing her away from my sight. And I always instinctively jump out, the same way I did that night.”

He made me face him and there was a strong glow on his face, a different expression. “From now on, you are not only the president of my heart, but also the president of your life. Whenever you need help, you can just ask the PM,” he pointed to myself, “and I will rush to your side. But only if you need help. I have confidence in you Saya. I truly do.”

The last two lines did it. I started crying and Woohyun pulled my cheeks while I laughed through my tears. “Aigoo!” he cooed, “ Who can look cute even while crying?” The sound of an engine sputtering to a stop made both of us look over the railings.

“LOOK WHOSE HERE!”

Waving at us from the roof of a truck was none other than our dear friend, Hoya, his Chesire Cat smile intact.