The One And Only Rule

Hysterie

(Listen to Fiction by BEAST: www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG4qXsL7suc)

“Yah, she wrote about you.”

Woohyun opened his eyes and pushed the man away. “Let me sleep.” The man however retaliated and pulled him out of bed. It was 5 in the morning and he was in the middle of a business trip that was soon to end. Waking him up at such an unearthly hour was the most stupid thing to do.

“Your girlfriend, she wrote about you.” Yoseob smacked Woohyun’s head and made him sit in front of the laptop that had opened up a website. Upon reading the name of the website, Woohyun’s senses froze. He blinked rapidly and reached out for the bottle of water.

“Now you’re listening,” Yoseob muttered and continued, “She started writing three days ago and has been going on live since then. She updates it almost every two minutes and she hasn’t changed any names either. It’s all out there, bro.”

Woohyun read the introduction and his heart clenched as he recognized the name. He could hear her speaking the words and a part of him was happy that the three years apart had not changed her. Yoseob, the senior manager of their group, called an official and cancelled all schedules for his friend. “He’s sick,” Yoseob lied and cut the call. “I got your back Woo.”

Woohyun nodded but his mind was arrested by the words. Everything she wrote… The memories rushed by and he wondered what was making him so excited.

I’m over her, he told himself. I am.

Yet, he sat all day reading what she wrote, her hidden feelings, the pain she used to disguise with her smiles and read the final chapter with gritted teeth. He pinched the bridge of his nose when the blog ended bluntly. He scrolled down to read the comments, but one alone caught his attention.

It’s not her fault guys! you wrote. The guy was obviously trying too hard to ‘perfect’ her instead of working hard on loving her for who she is. So stop the hate and focus on the present! There are rumours that Woohyun is enjoying a successful position at some UN type organization so no need for any sympathy! Come on, let’s look ahead and congratulate the to-be wed bride!

“What?” Woohyun whispered. He read the line again. To-be wed bride. A strange force possessed him and next thing he knew, he was looking at a picture of Saya with a headline above it, the most read article linked to it.

‘FAMOUS WRITER SAYA PARK TO WED YOUNG MAGNATE LEE JAEHYO’

 An announcement from the families of Saya Park and Lee JaeHyo has confirmed the rumours of the couple getting married in October. Actress Lee Da Hae, Jae Hyo’s elder sister, was reportedly heard saying, “Yes, it is true. I am happy that Saya is finally going to be a part of the family, our mother had wished for her to be the one.” Lee Jae Hyo’s mother had passed away ten years ago due to virus encephalytus and was a family friend of the Parks. The couple got engaged last year in a private ceremony attended by close friends and family only.

“I’m extremely happy for them.” Kairi Inada, Saya Park’s best friend and girlfriend to café tycoon Lee Howon joined us for a short interview about the wedding preparations and the history of the couple. “Saya started dating Jae Hyo about two years ago, when she was recovering from the end of a previous relationship. Jae Hyo had given her immense emotional support and from the very beginning, she was sure that he was the one for her. She was never in doubt when it came to Jae Hyo so the plan to get married was no surprise, the timing couldn’t be better. Neither too early, nor too late. The two accept each other for who they are and despite the many flaws that they may have as individuals, they’re perfect when they’re together. It’s a match made in heaven, really.”

The New York Post, that had crowned Saya Park’s book Hysterie as the number one bestseller two weeks ago, congratulates the couple. For more information about the wedding of the year, log online to—

Woohyun stopped reading. He closed the page and sat down on his bed. He closed his eyes and counted till ten, hoping to block the flood of memories that was slowly overpowering his mind. But slowly and steadily, they invaded him and suddenly, he was curious. His mind clicked and he sat back in front of the laptop and re-opened the last page.

I couldn’t answer the question Woohyun.

The words were on a screen but they echoed in his mind. He could finally recognize the confusion in them, the desire to prove that all she needed was an explanation not help.

I was scared that if I didn’t make you mine, then someone less worthy woud take hold of you and the chances of you getting hurt would increase. I’ve always protected you Saya. You know that.

“Woo.” Woohyun looked up and met eyes with his friend Yoseob. The latter widened his eyes and sat next to him.

“Yoseob-ah,” he whispered. “I think I still…” He tried to blink back the tears but he couldn’t. For once, he let go of control.

Yoseob placed a hand on his shoulder and sighed. “Now you listen to me. You’re a stubborn piece of , you know that? Ever since you told me that Saya Park was your girlfriend, I knew that things were unfinished. Just because she wrote a blog about you, a story about you and both of them have their respective ends… The real story ain’t over Woo.”

“She’s getting married,” Woohyun said. He gulped and continued, “And she is obviously really happy…”

“How do YOU know that?” Yoseob his lips and let out a frustrated sound. “Yah, didn’t you only tell me that she was amazing at hiding her sorrow? How the hell is that Hoya or that Kairi supposed to know any better than you, especially if you’re just sitting here helpless?”

Woohyun stopped sobbing and stared at Yoseob. “What are you trying to say?”

“Go.” Yoseob got up and opened the closet. Suddenly, he started flinging all his clothes at the empty suitcase and said, “I’ll book a flight to Seoul right now, till then you just get yourself together and—”

“Have you lost it??” Woohyun threw the hanger away and ran a hand through his hair. “You want me to crash her wedding?”

Yoseob smirked. “Who said crash?” Out of nowhere, a white envelope embossed with golden embroidery appeared in his hands. “You got mail Woo.”

Woohyun snatched the envelope away and pulled out its contents. Upon reading the name of the sender, he frowned. “It’s her fiance, Jae Hyo. Not interested anymore.”

Yoseob narrowed his eyes and shook his head. “You really are a piece of work. Do you really think Saya knows where you are? I bet you a grand that Hoya has never told you what happened after you returned to Seoul. He probably never told her that you wanted to talk to her even more and patch things up, made it look like you were fine without her. Well guess what? If two people love each other, then they’ll always get back together. That’s how it always is. Love returns.”

Woohyun stared at the envelope. “She probably doesn’t even know about the invite.”

“Which is why,” Yoseob continued. “You should leave right now. Surprise her. Talk to her. And most importantly, rewrite the story. Things between the both of you… it can’t end with a wedding. Not without you in that penguin suit.”

Woohyun smiled at Yoseob’s words and nodded. “I’ll see,” and walked inside the bathroom.

Yoseob stared away into space and grinned. “Love returns,” he whispered to himself. “Wah Yoseob…Thank God you finished watching Stairway To Heaven yesterday. All those dialogues can really save lives.”

Meanwhile, Woohyun stood under the shower, reminiscing each and every detail of the moments spent with you. The nerves, the tension, the love… The rules.

All that matters in the end is that you loved.

Huh, Woohyun thought. There’s one more rule.

When it comes to going after what you love in life, don’t take no for an answer.

Yoseob’s daydreaming was interrupted by the slamming of the door. “Yah!”

Woohyun stepped out with a towel around his waist, his hair still wet. He started folding all the clothes and mumbled, “If you want to pack for me, then at least be neat.”

“WOO!” Yoseob pounced on him and laughed. “That’s my boy!”

Woohyun smirked and glanced at the name. Lee Jae Hyo.

You really think I’ll just leave her to you, don’t you? I couldn’t hold onto her, but I recommend you do now. I hope you can wait a little bit longer, Saya.

“Did you call me?”

Saya cocked her head as Jae Hyo mumbled ‘no’ and continued leafing through the list of caterers. She pouted and furrowed her eyebrows. Jae Hyo saw her face and smiled, approaching her with a back hug. “What happened?”

Saya shook her head and rubbed the back of her neck. “Nothing…just been feeling a bit chilly all of a sudden.”

Jae Hyo touched her forehead. “You don’t have any fever.”

Saya gave a small smile and kissed him on the cheek. “I’m fine. Let’s focus on this, shall we?” Deep inside, something was poking her. An instinct. An intuition.

And her intuitions never went wrong.