16

Be My Bad Boy

 

Sohee and Jiyong take their usual walk back home together. Sohee tug on her bag's arms happily. Jiyong walks in rhythm to her pace, grinning. The

two walk under the shades of trees along the sidewalk. Jiyong stretches his arms over his heads.

" Ahhh the wind is so nice. " He breathes, eyes closed blissfully.

Sohee smiles and glances at his side profile. That jaw... that smile... that eye smile. Even the half of his profile makes her chest flutter. He is so

good-looking. She keeps her gaze at him admiringly. Jiyong feels her gaze and glances down at her. She was looking up at him with that expression.

He feels his chest tighten. He doesn't say anything and feels himself melt into her gaze. Her hair flutters in the wind, making her look even more

perfect.

" You look so beautiful... " Jiyong suddenly says before he could stop himself. Sohee blinks and breaks their gaze, feeling heat rush up her neck.

She hangs her head shyly. " Thanks..." She says softly.

Jiyong swallows in embarrassment. Dammit you made her uncomfortable. He rubs his neck guiltily.

" So... are you planning to do anything for the talent thing? " Sohee says, averting his gaze.

GD bites on his tongue and squeezes his eyes shut. Damn.

" Uh... maybe? I'm planning to- you know- rap.. " He shrugs. Sohee stops in her tracks.

fell open and she stares at Jiyong's back. " You what-?' She asks.

Jiyong turns to look at her, smiling sheepishly. " Rap. "

Sohee blinks, a smile slowly forming on her lips. " You rap? Wow. How come you never told me! " She nudges him.

He laughs and gave a half hearted shrug. " You never asked. " He said softly.

Sohee taps her finger on her chin thoughtfully. Jiyong watches her, amused. She seems to be really deep in thought. GD shakes his head and takes her

hand in his casually. He closes his hand warmly around hers and sighs happily. Sohee closes her fingers around his hand, her heart fluttering

excitedly.

Jiyong hesitates for a moment before asking, " You know why I'm living as a hooligan? " He asks suddenly.

Sohee blinks in surprise but shakes her head." Tell me. " She says with ease.

Jiyong smiles." Because I'm an orphan. And in order to live on your own, especially in the streets, you can't be afraid of anyone. So I became what

everyone is afraid of. " He tells her.

Sohee thinks for a moment. " But you're not scary to me. " She says.

Jiyong laughs. " Really? Not even when I'm angry at you? " 

Sohee pouts and tugs her hand free from his. " Shut up. " She says lamely.

Jiyong laughs again, and this time, he holds onto her waist, holding her close. Sohee relents and she puts her arm around his waist as well.

" But anyway- How did you meet Director Park? " She asks curiously. Jiyong smiles softly at the memory.

" He was about to get robbed. And I happened to be there, so I helped him. I was only fourteen then, homeless. " Jiyong explains.

Sohee frowns. " Homeless? " she repeats.

GD nods. " Why homeless?" He asks. Sohee nods intently.

" Was chased out by my Aunt. That wretch said that if I wanted to rap and I gotta get out of her sight." Jiyong shakes his head.

Sohee pauses and looks up at his face. " You love rapping that much? " GD nods without hesitating. 

" Will you..... audition? " Sohee asks carefully.

Jiyong grins. " Soon... I'm practicing with Seunghyun hyung. " He says, smiling down at her charmingly. Sohee feels a pang of disappointment.

" So... Will you be leaving me if you make it? " Sohee asks quietly.

Jiyong stops in his tracks, realising her point. They arrive perfectly in front of the wooden doors to the Gibang, facing each other but Sohee not

meeting his gaze.

" Hey... " He calls her softly. Sohee doesn't look up. 

Jiyong bites on his lower lip and lightly touches her jaw. Sohee doesn't respond. He tilts her head up so that she faces him. Her eyes were sad.

" Let's not talk about things that isn't happening, okay? " He says lightly.

" If you happen to leave... don't come back. " Sohee says, smiling sadly.

Before he could say anything, Sohee gives him a peck on the cheek lingeringly and enters the Gisaeng House without glancing back.

" What are you trying to say? " GD asks, the wind carrying his voice away.

•••

The girls all drop to the floor, panting. They just went through the steps for the charity talent show and were tired out of their minds.

" Thank God it's Friday. " Sunmi says breathily. Sohee nods in agreement and takes a sip of her water. YeEun shakes her head.

" Don't be so cheerful yet. Since it's a weekend night, there are so many reservations tonight. Especially for the student dancers. " YeEun remarks,

looking at both Sohee and Sunmi pointedly.

Sunmi and Sohee shared a look of exasperation. " Really? " They chorused. 

" Don't be lazy. It's actually really fun if you think about it. " Yubin interrupts sternly.

" Yes, senior. " The two chorused again. The unnies laugh. Even Yubin who shakes her head.

" Let's get showered~ the clients will come flooding in in about an hour." Sunye announces.

YeEun fans herself as the girls stood up and made their way into ther room.

" Sohee you got at least five rooms to perform in tonight. Hopefully. And Sunmi, you have about six to entertain. Apparently your 4D personality is

popular among the men. " YeEun informs, laughing.

The rest of the girls join in as Sunmi turns red. " I can't help it... " She pouts.

" Dork. " Yubin says, Sunmi's hair.

As the girls pass by the other gisaeng's rooms, they bump into Jooyeon.

" Oh, Jooyeon-ah. " Sunmi greets.

Jooyeon looks at each of them nervously and bows," N-ne. Annyeonghaseyo. " She stammers, shifting on her feet.

" Are you okay? " Sunye asks, her mother mode activated. The girl looks up at them and wordlessly nods before excusing herself.

" She is so strange. " Yubin says shaking her head.

Sunye nudges Yubin disapprovingly and tsk-es. " She's probably intimidated by Miss Priss here. " Sunye says, glancing at YeEun.

" Yah- What are you saying? " YeEun asks, outraged.

The girls laugh loudly as they enter their room. They continue chatting away as they grab their toiletries. Sohee was clipping her hair into a messy bun

when YeEun gasps loudly.

" What? " Sunye asks. YeEun blinks in disbelief and began to rummage through her makeup box. 

" My.... my.... hair ornament! " She exclaims, roughly digging out her box of hair ornaments.

" What's with it? " Yubin asks curiously. The girls all came over to take a look.

" My... favourite Jade hair pin! It's not here! " YeEun panics, her voice rising shrilly.

Sunye gapes. " The one Daesung gave you? "

Everyone but Sohee gasps. " It's a real jade? " Sohee asks admiringly.

" Yes... ohmygod. How can it be missing! I never lost it ever! " YeEun says angrily.

Sunmi bites on her thumb thoughtfully. Yubin frowns but puts her hand on Yenny's shoulder comfortingly.

" It's going to be okay. We'll find it. If it's yours... it'll come back to you. Don't worry. " Yubin says soothingly.

YeEun takes a deep breath and nods. " You're right. " She says and finally stands up. The girls stood up, too.

" Maybe we should get a lock for our door? " Sunmi suggests, as they exited their room.

Sunye nods. " Good idea. I'll ask Director Park. "

YeEun was still obviously angry at herself. " You know what it means, right. When a man gives you a hair ornament. " YeEun says sadly.

The girls except Sohee (again) nods knowingly. " Yes.... it's okay. You didn't lose it on purpose. " Sunye says, patting Yenny's head.

Sohee swallows dryly... Jiyong oppa gave me a hair ornament last time. What did that mean?

Sohee clears . " What does it mean? " She asks. Every one of them stop walking towards the showers and stares at her.

" You don't know? " Sunmu asks with wide eyes. Sohee slowly shakes her head. Yubin was the first to break the awkward moment.

" It means he likes you and you're his , silly! " Yubin says, pinching Sohee's cheeks. Sohee felt numb. Oh.

" When Jiyong gave you that clip he didn't say anything? " Yenny asks, snapping out of her sad mood. Sohee blushes, shaking her head.

" Awww! This means he likes her before they even went out! " Sunye says excitedly.

Sohee bites her lower lip. Sunye unnie is so loud sometimes. The girls squeal and made cooing sounds. Sohee feels heat rush up her neck and covers

her face before they could see her blushing.

" Must be love at first sight! " Sunmi calls to Sohee who was speedily rushing into the showers.

The girls high five each other and laughs good-heartedly.

•••

Sohee fixes her hair for the last time before positioning herself behind the doors to the dining clients.

" Are you ready? " The percussion man asks her kindly. 

Sohee offers him a thumbs up and takes a deep breathe and stills herself for the dance. She could hear their chatters and glasses clinking. Today was

special as Sohee was the one in charge of the Gisaengs in the room. Because the Gisaengs are all new, Sohee is remarkably more experienced than

they are.

" Everybody, please give your attention to Lady Sohee! " The percussion guy announces.

The male clients loudly cheer and laugh eagerly. Two gisaengs gets up from their seats, Sohee can hear their airy hanbok rustling as they approach

the door and pull the door open to reveal Sohee. Sohee feels her back exposed to the clients eyes and feels her stomach tighten in excitement. The

clients immediately fall silent and waited for her to start. As soon as the percussion guys started playing and the perfect beat started to hit, Sohee rises

from her sitting position and slowly and majestically started to dance. Feeling herself giving in to the cultural music, Sohee puts on her cold

expression and dances. The story of the music unfolding through her dance. The clients and Gisaengs were silent as they catch themselves falling into

the Sohee's trance. Completing her dance number with throwing Yellow and Red strips of silk cloth, Sohee bows and the music stops.

She doesn't raise her head until a client speaks. " My, my... Lady Sohee...... You are indeed a work of art. Come here. " A 50+ year old guy beckons

here, smiling.

Sohee slowly raises her head and scans the clients in the room. The gisaengs were all new faces and were staring at her in awe. Including Jooyeon. 

Sohee smiles modestly and rises to her feet, walking over to the client. She bows before taking a seat next to the man.

" Lady Sohee, pleasure to meet you. I am Mr. Lee, Director of Lee breweries. " He says cheerfully, the corners of his eyes wrinkling. 

He extends a hand. Sohee plasters an amazed expression and humbly took his hand. " Mr.Lee... MY pleasure to meet you. I just got the title of being

a Lady. So this is such an honor for me to accompany you and your friends tonight. " She says convincingly.

Mr.Lee chuckles. " These are my friends. Taewoo, HyukShin, Jaesuk and Minsook. " He points to his friends respectively.

Sohee offers them a smile, not bothering to remember their faces. Before she could say anything, Mr.Lee reveals a young man beside him, who was

in his white dress shirt, not looking her way.

" This is my Son, Cheondung. He will be taking over my business soon. " He explains her curiosity.

Sohee felt her heart fall into her stomach. What? No. Her whole body froze and she could feel her face already burning. Her limbs were numb.

" Cheondung-ah. Don't be rude. Greet her. " Mr.Lee nudges him.

Sohee opens but couldnt say anything. Thunder wets his lips and closes his eyes. He was embarassed. Both for Sohee and himself.

" I don't need to. We're schoolmates.  " Thunder says clearly.

Sohee looks at him with wide eyes. Her heart softens. He isn't going to ignore me. Mr.Lee looks at him, then at Sohee. Then he claps his hands

gleefully.

" Perfect! " He says and laughs.

" Your school seems to take in all the kids with good genes, huh? " One of Mr.Lee's friends comments, sipping his wine.

Sohee shifts her body to face him and bows, " You are too kind. " She says, smiling.

Sohee could feel Thunder looking at her. Sohee doesn't make eye contact but faces Mr.Lee.

" How do you find the food here? Our kitchen head makes the best traditional food in town. " Sohee says with pride.

Mr.Lee regards her and nods, agreeing. " Indeed. Never tasted such refreshing soups. " He compliments.

Sohee smiles charmingly and pours him more wine. Mr.Lee returns her smile and pours a glass for her.

" Ah- Mr.Lee not to be rude. But I'm a student. " Sohee says, not picking up her glass.

Thunder who has been drinking overheard and guiltily places his glass down.

Mr.Lee laughs. " But aren't most of the gisaengs here underage? Here, just a little sip. " He insists.

Sohee laughs softly. "If you insist~" She says, earning laughter from the ahjussis. She raises her glass and clinks it with Mr.Lee.

From the corner of her eye, she could see Thunder cringing and shaking his head. Sohee downs her drink and feelings, ignoring what she just saw.

" You know, Lady Sohee. I am thinking of coming into partnership with this Gibang. " Mr.Lee says thoughtfully.

Sohee blinks and tilts her head, the hanging ornaments in her hair dangling. " I'm afraid I don't understand...? "

Mr.Lee clasps his hands. " Will you pass the word to Director Park that I want to sponsor the wine for this Gibang? "  He asks hopefully.

Sohee nods knowingly. " Ah... of course! But..... sponsor? " she re-confirms.

Mr.Lee grins and takes out his card, sliding it to her glass. " Tell Director Park to call me. I'm thinking of providing wine here. And I want half of

the profit from purchases to go to you. " He tells her.

Sohee glances at him, stunned yet honoured.

" Mr.Lee... that would mean alot to me. " She says with tears forming at the corner of her eyes.

Mr.Lee smiles at her happily. " I know. I heard you are slowly repaying Director Park through your salary as a Gisaeng. So this way, your debts will

settle faster, no? " He suggests.

Sohee felt deeply touched. She puts her hand on top of Mr.Lee's." Thank you. So so much. " Sohee says gratifyingly.

Mr.Lee pats her hand, as if its all an everyday thing.

" How will I repay you? " Sohee asks brightly. Mr.Lee downs his drink.

" Every Friday night, I want you to dance and accompany with me. Will that be okay? " He asks her.

Sohee regards him. Normally if an old client suggests that, she'd take him as ertic and refuses. But Mr.Lee has a genuine expression.

Sohee feels her smile tug on he lips and she nods. " Of course. I will. " She says quietly.

Mr.Lee raises his glass, and Sohee raises hers. He had a twinkle of sadness in his eyes and Sohee feels her heart twinge warmly.

" To friday nights! " He cheers.

••

Sohee accompanies Mr.Lee and his friends until outside the Gibang. She waits and sees them until they drive off.

Sohee squeals silently. " Thank you thank you thaaaank you Mr.Lee! " She cheers in her mind.

" So this is where you work, too? " Thunder asks suddenly.

Sohee jumps at the sudden creeper behind her. " You scared me. And Yes, as you've seen. " She says, folding her arms.

" I-Don't you feel disgusted? " Thunder asks, his pretty face turning sour.

Sohee shrugs. " At times, but it's not like I sleep with them. " She says nonchalantly.

Thunder considers her. " Don't they touch you? " He asks, his face contorting in disgust.

Sohee rolls her eyes. " That's the stereotype and no. Unless they don't want to step into this place anymore. " Sohee replies casually.

Thunder blinks at her in disbelief." Do you even know what you're doing? You're entertaining men that could be your father! " He exclaims, eyes

wide.

Sohee felt a pang in her heart. " If that's what you see me as, then you can just ignore me at school. " Sohee says coldly and started to retreat back

inside.

" No wait-Sohee. " Thunder says, grabbing onto her arm.

" I can't see you like this. There are so many other jobs... why this? " He asks, a hint of exasperation at the ends of his voice.

Sohee feels her sensitive tears pool at her lower lids." Because I happen to see it as art and I get a good pay and good life. So excuse me. " Sohee

hisses and pulls her arm back.

" Can't you quit? I can get you a job at our company. " Thunder offers. Sohee frowns at him disappointedly.

" NO! I love my job and I wouldn't give it up for some office work. Besides, why would you care? " Sohee raises her voice.

Thunder opens his mouth but Sohee cuts him off. " If you're so disgusted by me and what I do, then don't come by ever again. " Sohee says, half

yelling. A pained expression passes his cold face. Thunder grabs Sohee by the shoulders and stares deep into her eyes. 

" I will get you out of there no matter what. And I DO care. Because I like you. " Thunder says boomingly.

Sohee felt her shoulders drop. Thunder bites on his lip. As if he revealed too much. He blinks and walks to his car, without saying goodbye.

Sohee simply stares at him, stunned. " You like me? Too? " Sohee whispers to no one.

Sohee hangs her head,  sighing deeply. Jiyong is gonna be pissed if he finds out.

Unknowingly, Jooyeon who was standing behind the wooden doors heard it all.

 

------------------------------------------------