Underhanded

Jongkey: Since the Jurassic Period

 

 

 

The door to the chairman’s office opened.

Lee Soo Man peered from his computer screen to see his visitor. “Ah, Soonkyu. How is my niece doing?” he said.

Soonkyu sat in a chair facing the chairman’s desk. “I’m well,” she replied. “How are you, uncle?”

“I’m looking over trainee reports. I’m about to debut the world’s largest boy band.”

“Oh... How many people?”

“Around twelve to thirteen.”

“That’s a lot... But I’m sure they’ll be successful. They’ll soon make the headlines: record-breaking album sales, the greatest boy band... err...” Soonkyu paused.

“Super Junior.”

Super Junior?” the girl stared at her uncle.

Her uncle stared back. “What? Is the name weird?”

“Ah, no, of course not.” She laughed, and walked around the desk to take a peek at what her uncle was doing.

 

The screen showed various profiles of trainees training under SM.

“Are these the...um... Super Junior members?” she asked.

“Not these ones. These guys are training for a different band. Probably about four to five members.”

Soonkyu tapped the screen on the far-left corner. “Why is his name in red?”

“Oh. He sprained his ankle a while ago, so he’s lacking in experience. We’re not very expectant for him to debut.”

The girl pouted. “That’s unfair, uncle! You should give him another chance. I’m sure he’ll do well.”

“Are you sure about that?”

“I’m positive.” She answered.

“Alright,” the chairman sighed. “If my niece insists so.” He clicked the name << KIM KIBUM >> and changed it back to normal.

Soonkyu giggled. “You’re welcome Kibum-ah!

 

“That reminds me, Soonkyu...” The man turned his chair. “When are you going to become a trainee here? We’re going to debut a girl group in a year or so. It’d be nice if you were in it.”

“Maybe later uncle!” She sang, and left promptly.

 

 

--

 

 

“Wait just a moment,” Onew interrupted. Jonghyun and Minho seemed to be having a glare battle; Taemin fidgeted in a corner.

“You can’t just insist on Minho apologizing...” the eldest stated. “In my opinion, I think both of them were in the wrong.”

“Well, in my opinion, that guy is an idiot.” Minho scoffed.

“Kibum’s not an idiot!” Jonghyun countered, nearly yelling.

Minho continued his flaming glare. “I don’t want your biased opinion of him.”

“I’M NOT BIASED!” Jonghyun blushed. “Kibum’s from Daegu! He doesn’t know any better.”

“He doesn’t know anything at all,” Minho responded. “Besides, this isn’t any of your business.” He walked past Jonghyun, while pushing him in the process.

 

Minho was about to leave the room when Onew said, “Jonghyun! Are...Are you crying?”

 

Minho froze. Still facing the door, he heard stifled sobs and sniffs. He felt guilt grabbing at his neck. However, he also felt anger tugging at his arm, ushering him out the room. He would have to wait a moment to see which side won over.

 

Taemin’s voice interrupted his thoughts. “Um... Aren’t you two the oldest in our group?”

 

Minho turned his head slightly, to see both Jonghyun and Onew bawling their eyes out.

 

Yep, guilt took over.

 

--

 

<<From: Jjong

Kibum~ ^o^ Today’s the big day! Wanna walk to the SM building together? I’ll meet you at your house! >>

 

<<From: Kibum~!

Fine. >>

 

“...Is what he texted me, so why the hell are you here?” Kibum irritably questioned. He glared into Minho’s blank face.

“Something came up, so he told me to take you instead.” Minho said calmly, like nothing ever happened.

“I can walk just fine by myse—“ Kibum nearly fell off the curb when Minho grabbed his arm.

“I think I’ll just walk you there.” Minho stated, muffling his laugh.

Embarrassed, Kibum shook Minho’s grip off his arm. “Sheesh,” he continued to glare at the frog face. “Why are you being nice today?”

“No reason.” Minho dug his hands into his pockets and continued walking.

 

—EARLIER—

 

<< From: Jjong hyung

Yah Minho. Pick up Kibum at his house today and apologize to him. If you don’t I will make you regret it by crying for the rest of my life >>

<< From: Jjong hyung

And I’ll make Onew hyung do it too >>

 

--

 

...But it’s too awkward to apologize right now...” Minho thought.

Truly, it was awkward. The two of them glanced at various things down the road, but they’d do anything to not make eye contact with each other.

 

Will this pair ever resolve their conflicts?