Venture to the Fifth Floor

The Game

Too much is not enough. Sometimes we don't know our own human limitations. We keep pushing ourselves thinking, I'm fine. It's still okay. But it's not, and we know it. Why do we lie to ourselves? Why do we hide from the truth? If we had known the truth, maybe it wouldn't have turned out this way..It wasn't until all went crashing, and burning down, that we realized our mistakes and faults.It's not until we black out–it's not until we plummet and notice we've gone too far. Sometimes I wonder, did we go too far? Did we push her too much? 

 

Kai's POV

I turned my phone on hoping for him to have texted me. I knew he hadn't. My phone had not vibrated, and it was only 8:10 P.M.  I stuffed my hands inside my varsity jacket.

 

"How cold.. He's late.. and he's making me sit here at this park, on this cold bench! I have nothing but–"

 

"You have nothing but what?" I heard a deep husky voice, belonging to only one person. I looked up to see Kris warm smile, as he took the empty seat beside me.

 

"Why so late?" I questioned him eagerly.

 

"Nothing.. Just my little sister had piano school, then I had to drop her off at her tutor," he explained, and I looked at him wondering if there was any fault to what he said. Could he by lying? "Besides, have you been waiting long for me?" He cooed, inching closer towards my face.

 

"No.. Just curious. What's this party about anyways?" I felt like a clueless idiot for having even asked. Every party was no different to the other.                                                                                                                                                                               

 

Kris was grinning like a maniac at this point, "Drinking and all that 'fun stuff'. Come on let's go." He grabbed my hand and we walked to the nearest subway terminal.

 

---

 

Kris and I walked closely beside one another, as we entered into the bar. There were a number of young underage teens drinking.  Many on the dance floor, provocatively dancing. No one cared, everyone let lose. I looked to my left to find Kris, towering over everyone. Slowly scanning the room, busily trying to search for someone.

 

"Come on–let's go over to the bar.." He yelled into my ear. I nodded, and we pushed our ways through the group of sweaty bodies. We made our way to the bar, and it seemed like the male bartender knew Kris. Kris said some words in English, and we were presented with an unknown concoctions.

 

I slumped against the bar rail, and took a sip of the drink. Strong alcohol. It tasted a bit bitter then the usual. I looked around and noticed two females walking in my direction. Tall and slim. Perfect chest, but thick makeup was powdered on their face. They both smiled, and their attention was instantly  diverted to Kris.

 

"Hey Kris.." One of the two girls spoke in fluent English, as she approached. Kris was too busy looking the other way, and when his eyes settled upon the girl in front of us, he smirked.

 

"Can I talk to you?" I didn't know what they were saying. The girl sounded very playful, as though she was trying to lure Kris into a trap. Seduction. Kris wasn't falling for it. He just analyzed her up and down. Quickly taking a shrug.

 

He looked back at me and placed his hand on my cheek, resting it there, "I don't know if you know this Kai but–"

 

"Kris! Are you in kidding my right now?! We need to talk." I noticed the girl rudely blurt out English phrases, but I was to dumbstruck as Kris continued to rest his hand by my cheek. What does he think he's doing? Kris dropped his hand, and I turned to find the girl with her arms crossed and tapping her foot on the ground.

 

"I'll be back," he whispered into my ear, and followed the two girls. I watched all three of them walk away, without me saying a word. I looked down to find my cup already empty, and soon enough I was already drinking my 3rd cup of beer. Who the hell does she think she is? Stepping in on Kris and I, taking him away! Why did he leave? What was it, that was so 'important'? Why didn't she just speak Korean.. She didn't even look foreign!

 

---

 

I was sitting with my back against the wall. I closed my eyes.. The bass of the stereo was shaking the club, travelling through the wires tampered within the walls. My pulse began to beat with the same tempo of the music. Fast music, to slow music. Every time I opened my eyes, I saw people grinding against one another. I closed my eyes, and I could feel the buzz of alcohol. I drank too much to the point I was ready to puke. I felt another stab in the stomach, and ran. I went outside and instantly bent over, regurgitating everything that had entered my system in the last hour. My vision started to become fuzzy, and I knew at this point I was going to pass out.

 

"Hyung! Hyung! I found him! Let's get him out of here!!" I heard a deep voice, someone unusual that I had never heard before. Is it Kris? His voice.. Was so familiar, yet I couldn’t picture his face.

 

"Come on–let's get out of here.." I heard a deep whisper, and I felt my body being supported by someone else. And all else went black.

 

---

 

"You okay?" I looked up to see Baekhyun in his crisp clean uniform. I scanned the room to noticed class slowly beginning. Everyone was rushing in, talking about the biggest thing they've heard over the weekend. Some whispers on the new Girl's Generation trio's song, some talking about the newest movie that came out.


"Aigoo.." I managed to gurgle and placed my head down again.

 

"Look at little sleepy head. Mrs. Kim is going to hate you. I presume you never did the paper?"

 

.

 

I shook my head furiously, and looked at Baekhyun, "I'm done for it.."

 

He laughed and patted me on the back, taking the desk beside me, "Don't worry. You're not the only one." And then the tortuous sound of a bell began to play on the P.A. system.

 

I noticed this small little girl rush into class. Her hair in a messy bun, and her scrawny, pale legs strutting to her desk. She slid into her seat, beating the teacher by a mere couple of seconds. My eyes instantly darted back to Baekhyun, who was to busy scanning the window. A fool, he really thinks he's fooling someone?

 

"Stand up class." The class representative said in a very composed, angelic voice. He was tall and slim fit, almost as fit as me. He was one of the top students in the class, leading in 3rd overall in the school ranking. I knew he worked out as well, because I recall seeing him change, when came time around at gym class. It wasn't surprising to find him have such stiff, "perfect abdomens"–they overall looked fake. It seemed like he tries hard to flaunt them in the boy's change room, because he often tightened his stomach.

 

"Bow." We all bowed, and then sat back down.                                                                  

 

I snickered as some girls were pointing at the class representative, and then staring at me flirtatiously. Girls love me. I knew that even though the student representative might be "perfect", he wasn't as slyly looking as I. I didn't mean to place the title of a "bad-boy" to me, it was just fabricated among the students. I just "looked" bad, but I wasn't a bad character. But I guess.. Looks can be deceiving..

 

---

 

As class was on lunch break, I noticed Baekhyun instantly get up and gloat over a text message. Presuming it must be a text message from his girlfriend. Eunhyee I took out my phone and quickly sent a message out:

 

[05.06.12 (1:23 P.M)] Me: Meet me in the library, find the quietest floor possible.

 

I noticed the girl who entered class late this morning, checking her phone. She frowned, and then instantly scurried out of class with her knapsack, leaving no trace of her behind. These two worlds were once together. And now they've split apart, unwillingly. Both, unable to conquer their own feelings. As I was about to get up, I felt my phone vibrate.

 

 [05.06.12 (1:25 P.M)] Kris: Meet me at the library

 

---

 

"You feeling okay?" We were both stuffed at the corner of fifth floor of the library.

 

"I barely remember what happened.. I just remember puking.." Kris smiled, and reached into his backpack to reveal a thermos.

 

"Take this, it's Haejangguk! Eat it, you look like you haven't touched a thing all morning." He pushed the thermos into my hands. I could feel the warmth of the liquids inside against the contact with the palm of my hand.

 

"You seemed to have drank too much, I should have looked after you!" He shook his head. I bit my lip as though I was being guilt-tricked. Like a poor puppy I felt, feeling wrong of my actions… even though I didn't do anything necessarily.

 

"Don't be.. I didn't mean to make you worry.." I placed my hand on his shoulder, and he flashed me a small smile.  I dropped my hand to the side, and there was an awkward midst to the environment. Could there have been more? Was he the one who had brought me home? Should I ask?

 

"I have to go.. I have some duties as the cap–"

 

"Yeah go!" I accidentally said too loud, "don't worry about me! I'm fine." He was the basketball captain. He didn't associate himself with ”kids like me". Not in school that is. Although we were both smiling, he knew there was something amiss with what I said. I don't want you to leave me. I'm not okay. Not after last night. I don't even know what happened. I'm so lost Kris..

 

As Kris had left, I had taken the time to walk around the fifth floor. It seemed vacant, as the level was mainly filled with the less important subjects, and more-so the older books.  I looked around and saw a small little girl. I continued to walk with trembling knees. I came to realize I was only two steps away from the girl. Did she see Kris and me? I didn't think she would go to the top floor.

 

"Hi Kai-ssi.. How have you been?" Her words hurt like ice. Cutting at me and leaving empty wounds untended.

 

"I'm fine and how have you been Jieun?" My voice cracked as I attempted to speak with her. She looked at me and grinned. Those warm eyes.. How I missed them.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry that the chapter is longer than I had expected to write it! Don't worry though, there will be more POV's in the future. For now, I just have to figure out how to introduce everyone.. Who could have been the mysterious saviour? Who saved Kai?? Is everyone curious as to who Jieun-sshi is? And what type of character she has? She was mentioned in the prologue, what relation does she have with Kai?? I guess you guys will have to wait for me to update the next chapter to find more about her! Thank you so much for your comments and subscriptions, it means a lot ^^!