Jieun-sshi

The Game

Prince charming, he's supposed to save you. He's supposed to be your everything.. your other half. He can be daring and funny. A bit dorky, maybe a 4-dimensional personality? But yet, I wasn't his princess. I was not his Snow White, or Cinderella. I wasn't the hideous Wicked Witch either. Instead, I was a typical commoner in his eyes. Even now it seems like he is blinded by love. Wrapped within his own greed. I needed a saviour, someone to help me escape from my misery of watching them. I received someone.. someone I looked to for everything… The gods were good, but not good enough.

 

Jieun's POV

I looked at Kai as he stood there with his knees trembling. His uniform was crinkled, and it seemed to have small mishaps in certain areas. Yellow stains on his blazers, and even his tie was not done properly. Below his eyes hung a bag of dark coal, it seemed he hasn't been sleeping. How funny,  I continued to ponder the thought of how tired he looked, although he slept constantly in class..

 

"Sit–please." I said, and I noticed him wince as though he was suffering some kind of wound. I didn't know whether or not to laugh or to comfort him. He took the seat in front of me and stared at me. Deeply staring at me–not in an intimate way, but in a way of trying to look past my soul. He shook his head and buried his face in his hands.

 

"Are you okay?" I asked worriedly.

 

He nodded, "I'm fine.."

 

He sounded so weak, my poor bird, " Why did you want to meet me in the library?"

 

His eyes widened by my question, and he shook his head. "Oh I wanted.. to meet tonight.. Is that okay?"

 

"Of course! Anything for my little dongsaeng!" I chirped happily, trying to push the mood, "meet me there at the usual.. around 5?–No! Wait, make that 7! I have to drop Jisook to piano practice."

 

He coughed roughly into his arms, as I continued to smile at him. "Araso–"

 

"Go. I have lots of work to do anyways!" I said, shooing him off.  Kai shook his head like a hesitant little puppy, he slowly got up and walked away. It pains me to see you like this. I felt a heave within my heart as I watched him drag his feet to the elevators. I waved at him, just when he had turned his head slightly to check on me. After he was out of sight, I sighed.

 

"Aigoo.." I rubbed my chest. What a terrible conversation. Every little inch of me kept thinking about his light brown hair. His gleaming white smile. His light chuckles, and how he played with my hair. My stomach continued to twist and turn into knots, as my thoughts lingered around him. I shook my head trying to clear the thoughts of him. It's only going to get worse Jieun-ssi. Especially, with Kai.

 

The pain was inevitable, and there was no use hiding it. I got up, and quickly stuffed all the textbooks back into my book bag. I grabbed for three books that I had to return back to their original spots on the shelf. As I was walking down the aisle, I heard a small noise. The sound similar to a mouse.

 

I turned the corner to find a tall boy placing books back onto the shelf. He was wheeling the cart, full of books that were discarded by the students who had recently visited the library. His jet black hair was down and hidden in a beanie. He turned, and you could see his small eyes squint behind his glasses. Trying to focus on me.

 

"Jieun-sunbaeniem." He whispered, and I bowed before approaching him.

 

"Tao-dongseng, How are you doing?" He smiled as he saw me approach.

 

"I'm fine, a quiet day in the library. I'm surprised to see you on the fifth floor." He noticed the pair of books in my hand, and swiftly took them out of my hand, placing them onto the cart, "come sunbaeniem. Let's walk."

 

I nodded, and the two of us walked side by side. Tao slowly wheeling the cart from aisle to aisle.

 

"I came to get a good portion of reading done." He nodded trying to slowly process what I was saying. Tao, was a foreign student, five months ago he was in China. And now he was attending a private institution, with rich Korean kids. All speaking this unknown tongue.

 

"Is it true Noona?" I tilted my head slightly, as he stopped the cart to put some books onto the shelf, "are you really transferring?"

 

"Maybe.. I don't know yet. My parents want me to go somewhere–"

 

"You can't," he shook his head. I instantly knew how he felt. He didn't want to lose someone that was so close to him. I had met Tao on the orientation day for first year's. Tao was a quiet student. No one dares to talk to him, many very intimidated by his appearance. However, he is a bright student. And had a completely warm, respectful aura.

 

"And why not?" I frowned, puzzled by his reaction.

 

"Because.. Because you are the only friend I have here.." I looked to see him try to hide the sadness in his eyes.

 

"Don't worry. I haven't made my decision yet, disregard those rumours. Besides, I wouldn't want to leave you either." I smiled, and said reassuringly, while holding onto his shoulders–attempting to give him some strength. He looked at me and smiled back, continuing to push the cart.

 

"However, it would be nice to get out of this school. There are so many ungrateful students at this campus. I don't understand why they always keep complaining around here.." Tao shook his head as he softly whispered.

 

I chuckled, "what do you expect? You enrolled into a private institution."

 

"But they aren't all that bad.." I continued, and he tilted his head slightly. Curious, as to why I was contradicting myself. "Sometimes, they are the cutest things in the world!"

 

"What are you talking about?" He blinked with a blank expression on his face–completely clueless.

 

I went on my tippy-toes and pinched his cheeks, "you! You are one of the cutest students ever!"

 

"Aigoo! Sunbae! It hurts.." He whined, as I continued to cooing at how cute he is.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm so sorry for not updating earlier! Tonight there will be chapter four up, I promise. This will make up for not actually updating on Friday, because I had no internet nor my laptop. So do you guys like Tao? I don't know if I really want to bring Tao in as a side-character, I just thought he should have a small cameo as the library assistant. More Tao and Jieun-sshi? I also apologize, this chapter was a bit of a filter. Tonight's chapter four will settle the whole plot!