On Paper

The Game

We know what's good or bad. We know our rights from wrong.. But do we really? We know what stereotypes are, and we know we shouldn't judge someone based on their ethnic background,  weight, or even occupation. But yet, once we lay our eyes on someone, we instantly associate them with something. Whether we think they are clean and formal, or dirty and sleazy. Yet, truthfully, know one knows one another that well. We all hide our deep secrets to hide from our true reality. Never do we want to reveal these secrets, good or bad.. But yet, I did. I didn't know, and I was afraid. I didn't know that it would be like this, that I could experience such pain and sorrow through just one thing. He was my saviour, and I was his angel, but everyone looked at us differently from that day onwards.

 

Kai's POV

"Where the hell could he be?" My eyes flickered around the room, hoping to see him. It's not like I wouldn't be able to.. He's a giraffe for crying out loud. I looked down to see Jieun, staring intently at the stage.

 

"Are you cold?" I asked her, she shook her head and smiled.

 

"No, I'm fine. Who is this friend we are meeting?"

 

"Umm.. His name is Kris–"

 

"You mean Wu Fan?" She questioned, tilting her head on an angle. How did she know Kris? How did she even know he had a Chinese name?

 

"How do you know Kris?"

 

"Because I'm on the student council committee. Since he's the basketball captain, we need to talk to all the team captains when we prepare for the athletic banquets, and pep rallies. Besides, he's also good friends with Tao." I cringed when I heard her say the word "basketball captain". I'm not popular, I'm not smart, but I'm not dumb either. If I tried harder, I could easily become a typical student, but I don't. I'm not someone who would naturally talk to Kris. He's not popular either, he's just seen as a good student. But outside of school, he's different. He seems so dark and mysterious. I don't know anything of his nature.. But yet, there is something that makes me want to know more about him..

 

"Oh right! That's right, you are on the committee. I forgot at how involved they are, even with the athletic students," she nodded, fully understanding how unappreciative many students are of the student council committee. Jieun was one of the head executives, and is liked by many. Many even admire her, she is witty but humorous. She was academically, and socially involved around our school. Yet this year, she dropped a lot of school clubs, and she's barely holding onto her position as an executive member on student council.

 

"Is that him?" I looked over to the door, and I noticed two guys coming towards us. We were in a small bar, there was a stage in front of us and it seemed like a band was setting up. Tables were set up around us, and Jieun was sitting on a simple bar stool, while I leaned over the edge of the bar counter. Kris was slowly approaching us, but behind him must have been a member of the band. He broke off with Kris, and went over to the stage, setting himself down behind the drums.

 

"Hey Kai.." He peered over at Jieun, who was busily staring at the stage still, "and this is your friend? Jieun?"

 

I coughed, and introduced themselves to one another. Why am I so awkward? What's there to be nervous about? I felt like I was introducing a girlfriend to my parents for the first time. I rubbed my sweaty palms onto my jeans.

 

"Hi Kris. It's nice to see you again." Kris acknowledged her. He didn't show any signs of dislike, nor any signs of any liking towards Jieun. His face was completely solid and straight. Could it be that he dislikes her?

 

"I heard you two know each other.. or umm–are acquainted with one another?" They both nodded.

 

"And how do you two know each other?" Kris questioned, peering at me with curiosity in his eyes.                    

 

"We've been friends since elementary school." Jieun replied, as I was suddenly blushing as I made direct eye contact with Kris, "I guess you could say, we've known each other for quite some time."

 

"It seems so! Elementary school, eh? Tell me, was he just as big as a player back then?" He leaned into Jieun, and she just chuckled.

 

"To be honest.. I only remember meeting him because he wet his pants–"

 

"Hey! I didn't do that–" I flushed red, as the two of them laughed. It's like they are good friends. What's there to worry about! Calm down Kai.

 

"Look at him, he's turning all red now. Aigoo!!" Jieun pinched my cheek, and cooed like an older sister would when tormenting her little brother.

 

"Why did you want to meet here anyways?" Kris made an 'oh' with his mouth, as though he forgot to reveal why.

 

"My friends are in the band! Well, one of my good friends. I thought you guys might want to see him play, considering they are pretty good." Jieun started to get curious as she leaned in closer to hear what Kris had to say.

 

"Are they really that good? Good enough to be signed?" Kris shrugged.

 

"Maybe not that good. But for a typical high school band, they are mediocre."

 

"Well if they are good, maybe we can get them to play at a couple of the school dances. It would save us on cost to play a more local band, especially if they want to try and get big!"  Jieun's eyes widened as she continued to process this within her mind.

 

"You're right, it would help them get more known with teenagers." I agreed.

 

"I don't know.. They get really nervous when playing in front of heaps of people."             

 

"I guess we will just have to see.." Jieun said, as she pointed over to the stage. Everything was set up. The band was all ready on stage, the drummer was sitting in the back twirling his sticks, and practicing as he lightly skimmed the sticks across his drum set. Two guitarists, and the bassists were testing the amps. While the lead singer was speaking with one of the technicians. People were already shuffling in, and the lights had already started to dim down.

 

"Come on, let's get closer." Kris whispered in my ear, and I looked at Jieun who nodded affirming it was okay. She stayed seated, while Kris tugged at my shirt, and we both went deeper into the crowd.

 

They played a number of songs, and ended it with one last encore song. The drums started to pick up, and the singer was now in the middle of the stage singing. It was almost getting to the end of the song, and it seemed the crowd was familiar with the song.

 

"Come on, follow along, if you know the lyrics.." The main singer softly sang in the microphone.

 

I can't keep up, always playing catch up
Talking to you right now would be too much
May fourteenth, I got a letter,
Written from you, it's sitting on the dresser

 

I can't keep up, always playing catch up
Talking to you right now would be too much
May fourteenth, I got a letter,
Written from you, it's sitting on the dresser

 

I felt Kris' chest press against my back, "it's getting stuffy. Want to head outside with me.. I don't think I can handle the humidity in here."

 

I nodded, but before long. I could feel him drag me outside. We were standing out on the curb in the middle of Myeongdong. The night sky was not visible, as everything was so brightly lit. Teenagers were hanging around, many entering noraebangs, others shopping around. It was quiet chilly, and I only had a light cardigan on.

 

"Chilly?" Kris said with a smile. I noticed him stuff his pants into his pocket, and he took out a lighter.

 

"You smoke?" Kris took out a cigarette, and stared at me. Motioning if I wanted one. I shook my head. "No, thanks."

 

He chuckled, and continued to light his cigarette. Literally the life from the cigarette, and then releasing a puff of smoke, "I would have thought you had.. You just seemed like the type of person who would."

 

Why would I smoke? What type of person did I 'seem' to look like in front of Kai? I started to ponder over the thought of the 'bad boy' image, I seem to falsely expose.

 

"And I didn't think you would smoke.. at all.." I said in a quiet whisper, and he peered at my puzzled. Before he chuckled, and took another heap of the cigarette, swirling around within his lungs.

 

"And what would that be?"

 

"I don't know," I shrugged, trying to shake off the conversation. "You're the top athlete. You're the basketball captain, isn't it hard to smoke and be athletic at once? I mean.. doesn't that damage your ability to play?"

 

He sighed, and chucked the cigarette onto the ground. Before stomping on it, to make sure it was out, "maybe so. But that doesn't mean I can multi-task. At least, you can watch on the sidelines. And if you ever see me wheezing like an old man, let me know."

 

He winked, and was about to go back inside.

 

"Wait.. Kris!"

 

"What is it Kai? Don't you want to go back in?"

 

"I want to know something.." I looked at him, trying to see something. It was like I was staring into a whole other world. Like we both exposed this false image to one another, but yet outside of school. We were completely different people, "what am I like'?"

 

He smiled and walked closer to me. Kris was now only an inch away from me. He leaned in closer, and his lips were near my ear, "I heard you screwed around with girls.. Then I heard you were a badass.."

 

His voice sent shivers down my neck, "but really.. you're something else. Something I can barely put my finger on.."
------------------------------------------------
Double update! I want to try and get up the next chapter, by tomorrow.. Or even tonight, if I feel like it! Aha, I'm in such a good mood I thought I would write and update another chapter. This was a bit of an awkward chapter to write, it's hard to write Kris and Kai's interactions so far, because they have such a 'mysterious'-clouded relationship. Don't worry.. We'll get a bit more fluff in there! I assure you, you will be smiling when you meet another character ;)! Keep checking, because the next chapter will be up shortly.. Thanks everyone :)!