Midas Touch

The Game

They were twins, destined to be together. Born only two months apart, but yet everything about them was so identical. They grew up together, from the start of kindergarten and until the end of their death. Yet, it wasn't until now that we realized our worst enemies are ourselves. We started to reveal the monster hidden within us, we started to cause suffering around us. And it wasn't until now I realized I could have done something. I let it slip, and I let her slip too. I watched her die in sweet, pain. Burning in the scorching fire, only to be left with nothing. Just her bare body, covered with scars.

 

Kai's POV

I stared at the two with disgust lingering in the back of my mind. The two of them were holding hands, and doing "kissy" faces. It was ridiculous enough to be looked at as the third wheel at this point. But was there any true love between this couple?

 

A smile curled at the ends of my lips, oh how foolish these two think they are! Too think they know what true love is.

 

"What would you like to order?" A waitress came striding up. Tall–with a slim figure, fair skin with parted hair, and a rounded face. She smiled sweetly at the couple. Lust and jealousy was hidden in her dark brown eyes. It wasn't until she noticed me sitting across from them, that I was starting directly at her. Instantly, she blushed and looked away.

 

"Oh please give us a strawberry smoothie!" Baekhyun said, busy burying his face within his girlfriend's hair.

 

"And add an extra straw in there too!" Eunhyee added, giggling as Baekhyun smothered her with little pecks.

 

"Okay, and what would you like?" The waitress avoided making eye contact with me. I busily pretended I hadn't heard her, and looked at the menu. Baekhyun scoughed, kicking my foot under the table. I looked up to see Baekhyun starting at me then the waitress.

 

"Oh!" I replied innocently,  pretending to  have not heard the waitress, "coffee  to-go, please." I smiled, and returned the menu to the waitress. Accidentally her hands brushed against mine, and she jolted from the sudden small skinship. She quickly darted away like a doe in the headlight, retreating back behind the counter.

 

Baekhyun grinned slightly, "must you be such a player?"

 

"I have this magical touch on girls.. Sort of like the Midas Touch–"

 

"Why we need to get him a girlfriend! That's what we need! Then you wouldn't have to flaunt your looks around so much!" Eunhyee shook her head, oh sweet innocent little girl! Isn't it fun to torment girls like this? Why don't you just ask your boyfriend? I help my tongue back, unable to keep myself from revealing the truth.

 

"Oh right! Like I need a girlfriend!" I rolled my eyes. There was a silence, as it seemed like Eunhye and Baekhyun took me seriously. It wasn't until we couldn't all contain ourselves, and we all lightly chuckled.

 

"Do you think Mrs. Kim will extend that research paper–"

 

"Oh ! I haven't touched it!"

 

Baekhyun grinned, "obviously, you don't ever do homework Kai! It would be a miracle, if there comes a day a teacher loves you!"

 

I chuckled, "Come on! Mr. Lee liked me–"

 

"Until you literally set the gym ablaze!" Baekhyun commented.

 

"It was by accident! Besides, I didn't know–"


"Aigoo! Aigoo! You two need to shut up. You guys are like my grandparents who keep ranting. You set the gym on fire, and now it's fine. Back to what I was saying! How are we all supposed to get that great grade we all promised to achieve?" Eunhyee stopped us from our childish bickering, returning us both back to reality.

 

"This is coming from the top student in our class.." I rolled my eyes, and crossed my arms.

 

"Hey! I'm not that smart..–"

 

"Yeah just #4! No biggie.." I pretended to give a small pout, and I could feel all the hearts of the girls in the café stop. I turned to find the waitress completely flustered, as she slowly approached us with our drinks.

 

"Well if you tried harder! Maybe you wouldn't have to complain so much! And you wouldn't be failing each of your classes!" Eunhyee looked at the waitress and back at me, "beside, you are always to busy playing around with girls.." I noticed the waitress' eyes darted down as she placed my coffee, and instantly ran back to the counter. Damn her.. Why did she have to say that so loud..Lost my chances yet again..

 

I felt my phone vibrate and quickly took it out while sipping my coffee.

 

[04.06.12 (11:53)] Kris: Where are you?

[04.06.12 (11:53)] Me: Out with Baekhyun and Eunhyee. It's making me sick, get me out of here.

[04.06.12 (11:55)] Kris: There's a party on 3rd avenue, want to come?

 

I looked up from my phone to see Baekhyun brushing Eunhyee's hair out of her face, and the two sipping their smoothie happily. I looked back down at my phone, how I've been waiting so long for him to have contacted me. Should I go? Before long my decision was met with a new text.

 

[04.06.12 (11:57)] Kris: Don't be a .. We all know they are third wheeling ya'

[04.06.12 (11:57)] Me: Pick me up at the usual, 8 o'clock.

[04.06.12 (11:57)] Kris: Atta' boy!

 

I smiled only thinking of Kris' pink lips curling into a smile.

 

"Yah! Is that a girlfriend?–"


"Probably a girl toy!" I instantly shut my phone and looked up to see Baekhyun and Eunhyee's curious eyes lingering at my phone.

 

"Why.. can't a boy have fun?" I laughed, and they both shrugged continuing their skinship. Why don’t you just lean in and kiss her? Or try harder.. We all know you are faking it. I looked around to see couples jealous over the close relationship between Baekhyun and Eunhyee, many oblivious to me sitting across and watching the disgusting sight.

 

"Alright I'm done here! You guys can.. ugh.." The two rubbed the tips of their noses together. Is this some mating call for you two? I got up with my coffee and walked out of the café shop. I hoped on the subway, and left to meet my date.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Each chapter will have one paragraph, introducing a random character's thought. The paragraph has no core relation with the chapter's POV. It's one of the main characters in the story, meaning the first paragraph might not be Kai's character who is talking. A lot of the paragraph reveals feelings, and foreshadows what is bound to happen. It has a lot to do with the prologue ;).
This was my first chapter, and I haven't written in a while. Do tell me if you think there is anything you like or I should change. I hope to reveal a chapter each Friday? So keep anticipating for the next chapter :)!