Boss of Skin

Break Throughs ~[Part One]~

Cool-Pink-Girls-Teen-Room-Designs-by-Hul

 

 

A/N: Thanks for the comments everyone! I have, like, four chapters done, but this will only be double update tonight. I'm pushing my luck with even that.

ENJOY!~

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It happens after midnight. The last of the police and my friends have left over two hours ago. My brother and I were questioned endlessly about the Skin gang. I kept diverting the questions to David, since he apparently knew a lot more than I did about the gangs in this city. David's in his room right now and Mother and Daddy are in the kitchen, sitting at the table, gloomy and staring off into space. I dry my hair after taking a long hot shower. My reflection looks too pathetic to even glance at.

As I walk down the hall, I hear something in Juliet's room. Without thinking twice, I barge in and flip on the light. Her familiar smell hits me like a tidal wave. Posters of boy bands and models cover nearly every inch of her walls. Her closet door is wide open, clothes tumbling out. Her bed is made and littered with a dozen of magazines. I scout out the sound of the noise.

Juliet's phone is vibrating and ringing on her dresser.

I can't breathe as I pick it up and stare at the unfamiliar number. But I stare too long, for as I reach my thumb for the green answering button, it stops ringing. Oh, HELL, no. I angrily go to recently dialed and go to missed calls.

I hit the green button. And wait. Then there's the memorable click sound of someone answering the phone. "Hellooo?" a sly voice purrs. It freaking legitimately reminds me of a cat. Not like Junebug – but a low life, slimy, cheating, sneaky, cat.

"Who are you?!" I growl. The girl chuckles mockingly on the other end. "Oh, hehe, I'm guessing you're our new recruit's of a sister."

"Where is she, you c-?!"

"Oh, my," she says with fake worry. She sounds so laid back and relaxed; she could be in an f-ing hot tub with jets and rose petals. "Is that anyway to start a negotiation, Miss Prince? Such harsh words – and you don't even know my name yet."

I'm gripping the edge of Juliet's antique dresser so tight that I suddenly feel a sting and realize that the wood just bit into my skin. I loosen my hold but make no move towards Juliet's bathroom to clean the small wound in my palm. "Who the f* are you?" I hiss.

There's a menacing, pleased hum. "Velvet," she answers.

"You're real name, Goddammit!"

"Ooh, touchy, touchy. You're so demanding; just the opposite of your adorable sister. I don't need any other name but Velvet, you little . I've earned it." She let's out a soft groan that sends revolted shivers up my spine. I pull the phone away from my ear a few inches. WTF is she doing on the other end? I think warily. I try getting a satisfactory reply out of her again. "Where's Juliet?" I snap.

Velvet pauses and makes thinking noises. "Hmmm, Juliet. Do I know a Juliet? I don't think so. I know that we brought in several middle schoolers recently – but no Juliet, I don't think."

I slam my fist down on the dresser hard. Juliet's jewelry box knocks to the ground, earrings and bracelets scattering everywhere. I abruptly stalk out of the room, walk down the hall to the room next door, and burst in without knocking. David falls out of his desk chair in fright. I violently crash his door shut behind me. When David sees the state that I'm in, he doesn't question my being here in his room.

I immediately put the phone on speaker. Through locked teeth I say, "Velvet. You better tell us where our sister is if you want to live to see your birthday."

David gasps and stares at me wild-eyed. He turns towards the cell in my hand and bellows, "Goddammit, tell me where my little sister is, or, so help me God, I will rip every limb from your body ONE. BY. ONE! From your ears to your toes!!"

"Dave," I mutter low enough so that Velvet can't overhear me. "Keep it down or our parents will hear you."

"Why aren't we telling them?" David demands likewise.

"Because this is something for us kids to take care of. Once we have the information we need, we'll gather everyone up and go get her. We'll deal with what we have to there and then call the police."

Dave's about to reply when Velvet's voice breaks through the speaker. "Well, well, if it isn't the y prince himself," she drones. She makes that sound again and Dave recoils with loathing. "What do you want with Juliet?" he asks.

"With who?" Velvet asks innocently.

"Answer the damn question, ." My brother's practically spitting on the phone now. Velvet laughs. It's enough to give me the shivers for weeks. "Well, now I think I've upset His Highness." She sighs like she's it's too much trouble to talk. "Oh, well, if you want to talk, we could always meet at the park behind Micayla's Pub. My whole group of friends will be there." Her voice changes from mocking to threatening with one sentence. David and I exchange a glance with hard jaws. I jerk my head.

"Alright," David gives in. "And while we're at it, you can meet our friends, too."

Velvet hesitates before purring, "Fine by me, y ."

Then the line goes dead.