Murder, Anyone?

Break Throughs ~[Part One]~

(I didn't see anything . . . I didn't see ANYTHING . . . (Oh, and the word circled in red on MinKi's shirt? Yah, it says 'Lady' ;3))

 

It's been three days since the party and I find myself being woken up by the doorbell. It's a pretty sounding chime but today hearing it irritates me. It's eleven in the morning but no one's up yet except Juliet in the TV den and Mother in her bedroom shower. I roll over, hoping that someone else will get the door. But it chimes again. "Can somebody get that?" Daddy hollers groggily from down the hall. Five seconds later the annoying ring sounds through the house again.

"Ahhh!" I groan angrily. I shove off my sheet and lurch out of bed. I take the liberty of two seconds to splash cold water on my face and then run down the stairs, ruffling my hair. A glance through the peephole has me rolling my eyes: only Amber would be shameless in waking up my family. Not that my parents care in the least - being Doll Steele's daughter automatically excuses her.

I yank the door open. Once my eyes adjust to the blazing light my blood runs cold.

Because for some idiotic reason I had missed the group of five Asian guys standing on my front porch behind Amber.

Do you want to know what I'm wearing? Would you like to know? I'll tell you what I'm wearing: a big baggy baby blue t-shirt that goes past my knees and short-shorts that obviously no one can see. My eyes are puffy from sleep, my hair's in knots, I have horrid morning breath, and I haven't shaved my legs today. And the presence of a bra is absent. The sudden change in temperature from my house to the outside brings horrifying thoughts of what might occur to my s to arise in my head.

JR'S POV

*Omo* . . . I'm getting dizzy. Have I stopped breathing? I think I stopped breathing. , lungs, work, work! Breathe . . .

ARON'S POV

Oh, , Aron thinks. He doesn't think the guys were prepared for this. Neither was he for that matter, but at least Aron expects girls to dress in this fashion for bed. But in Korea . . .

STARR

There's a gut-wrenching stretch of silence. Then I snap my arm out, grab Amber's arm roughly, and pull her into the house, slamming the oak door behind her. I turn to her with a numbness spreading through my body. So it takes me a second to realize that I'm not looking at Amber. I must've reached past my friend because I am now face-to-madly-blushing-face Ren. He's too shocked to modestly avert his eyes so his face just gets redder as my own eyes widen considerably with panic.

I jerk the door back open, switch Ren with Amber - who I make sure is firmly in my grasp and that it's, y'know, actually HER - and shut the door again. My supposedly best friend tries not to smile.

"Amber Steele, are you out of your f***ing mind?!" I screech (it only dawns on my later that the boys could hear everything). "Would it have killed you to call me?? I cannot believe that you're doing this to me! How the hell did you get them here anyway?!"

"I called them."

"You told me you didn't have their American numbers!"

"I went through your phone . . . ?" Amber makes it sound like a question. My jaws drops. Amber bites the inside of her cheeks to keep from laughing outright; she could try harder, dammit. She's snorting and covering to hold the sniggers in.

I hear Daddy clomping down the stairs. "Amber, dear!" he booms joyfully. I glare at him. "How lovely to see you after all these years."

"Daddy, don't be nice to her! You wouldn't believe what she just did to me! My. Life. Is. OVER!!" I flip my hair as I race back upstairs. Are those red dots floating ahead of me? I think they are. I'm seeing red.

I hear Daddy chuckle through the vents in my room. "Well, it seems like I have to figure this out myself, now doesn't it? Let's try behind door number one . . ." The front door is opened as I wash my face. "Hello," he says sounding surprised and baffled. Great, I think in despair. Daddy, please don't have them running back to Korea in freaked-out-ness . . .

"Well, come in; don't be shy. Sorry about my daughter. It looks like you spooked her a bit. Would you boys like something to drink? Let's head to the kitchen. Melinda?" he calls up to Mother. I'm scrambling around for clothes now, on a mint in the process. "Mel, we have guests. Some friends of Starr's, I think. Amber's here, too . . ."

While pulling on a black pair of skinny jeans and a new neon pink v-neck t-shirt, my heart is pounding uneasily at the thought of JR sitting on one of our kitchen stools, talking with my family, smiling with those perfect teeth, just on the level beneath me.

I hear Mother walking down the steps and making her entrance. I quickly smear on eyeliner and mascara and pull my hair up into a long ponytail. I conclude with a spritz of Vanilla Lace perfume.

I quietly crack my bedroom door open. Dave's still asleep and I can hear the pleasant murmurs of conversation downstairs. They laugh at something Mother says. I slip out of my room silently and creep forward to the top of the stairs. If I close my eyes I can just pick out JongHyun's voice in the kitchen from everybody else's. I slowly open my eyes. I take a deep cleansing breath, hoping that it will brace me for what is waiting for me this summer.