Ren's Confidant

Break Throughs ~[Part One]~

STARR

The rest of the evening is in a haze of sleepiness and bliss. The atmosphere in the living room where we're all lounging, eating, and watching movies is happy, content, drowsy, and we're all busting to the seams with stories to tell, jokes to spring, and embarrassing moments to make fun of.

When JR and I came into the cabin, I think we were surprised to see that there was still a pizza and a half left out of the five that Amber had ordered. We served ourselves a couple pieces each and, still holding hands, we picked our way through the throng of sprawled legs and excitedly flailing arms. As we passed Amber I stopped and JR waited patiently as I leaned down and tenderly kissed my best friend's temple. "Thank you," I had whispered as my apology. Amber just smiled at me but her eyes were blazing with questions that would keep me and the girls up all night.

JR finds an available spot that isn't littered with someone's body part and we sit side-by-side. He's to my right and to my left Rosie's curled up against the armrest, arms tucked cutely under her head, trying not to hog the whole couch. She winks at me.

From where I'm sitting, the hallway and bedrooms are in the right side of the house, the roomy kitchen is behind me, the front door leading to the beach all the way to the left, and the TV and fireplace are facing me with big windows on either side of it.

The couches are arranged in a semi-circle (though it's more of a semi-square) in front of the TV and fireplace. JR, Rosie, and I are sitting on the sofa closest to the hallway; Ren, Amber, and MinHyun are covering the middle couch; and Aron, BaekHo, and Courtney are tangled on the couch across from us. It's kind of weird: Aron's lying against one side of the couch, BaekHo's lying back over him, his head cushioned by Aron's stomach, and Courtney's in the same position on BaekHo, her legs dangling over the back of the sofa. On the other side of the coffee table, MinHyun is sitting cross-legged while Ren's got his head resting on Amber's chest, her absently playing with his hair.

The conversation I had with Ren today runs through my head.

* * *

Ren was sitting on beach by himself, taking a break and watching everyone splashing through the sparkling water. I decided to see what was up and made my way to him. I sat a few feet away, wondering what I should say, and soaking in the sun's harmful but beautiful rays.

"I can't take it anymore."

I whipped my head in Ren's direction, surprised with his sudden outburst. Because that's what it was – he just kinda snarled it in a frustrated voice and continued to stare at the others. I followed his gaze and realized that he was focused on only Amber – and Aron, who was back-hugging her, no doubt muttering flirty things to her. Her bikini hadn't been skimpy but that didn't disguise her body's appeal to the male eyes.

I nodded to the two of them. "You can't take that anymore?" I asked Ren. He glanced at me, not exactly startled by my presence, but more like he didn't think I was listening or would respond if I was. Then he nodded. I tilted my head, looking at him while he looked at Amber. "So you do like her?"

Ren shifted uncomfortably. "Well . . . I . . ." He sighed quietly. "Dae."

I tried not to look too excited and just nodded like it was the most normal thing. "Thehhhn . . . why haven't you asked her out yet? Have you liked her all these years?" I questioned. Ren shrugged, staring at the sand between his feet. He said, "Our relationship seems like one that would get us together by itself – but Aron's friendship with her is stopping it." He got a slightly angry tone and shoved his hand into the sand, where it was cooler.

I was shaking my head before he even finished. He gazed at me cynically. I said, "Okay, well sometimes relationships like yours will take its course and just magically make two people a couple. But this is Amber Steele. She's too playful and spontaneous to let something 'take its course'. It's so obvious how much she loves you – but I think she's waiting for you to catch up."

Ren looked at me. "Why doesn't she ask me?"

"She doesn't think you like her as much."

Ren kind of stopped. I let this realization sink in and let him go back on his emotionless-ness and how he acts so reserved around Amber. His actions are shy – he's not resistant against Amber, it's just that Aron is a looming factor in this problem.

Ren spoke after a minute or two of reflecting, "Then what should I do?"

I'd been waiting for this question. There was one simple answer: "Just love her – and show it. That alone should put a barrier between her and any other guy." I started to get up. "Amber loves you a lot, MinKi, and she's not about to move on. Even if you never show her any affection the way that she does, she won't fall in love with anyone else."

* * *

Ren puts an arm around Amber's waist. She smiles softly and holds his head close to her chest briefly before returning to his head. I'm glad that he's taking my advice. He catches my gaze and his lips twitch in thanks.

Courtney gets up to make popcorn for whatever movie is playing right now (Twilight, I think? Earlier it was Monsters Inc.), but BaekHo demands ice cream and soon, Court's taking orders from everyone. I find it hysterical since Courtney's not the type to serve people at all. She's independent: she DOES stuff herself and FOR herself.

"What do you want, Stardom?" Courtney asks. "It seems like I'm playing waitress tonight."

Though I don't really want anything, I'm not about to let this opportunity escape me. Courtney will NEVER do this again. "Yah, just get me a handful of candy," I say sweetly. She scrunches up her face at my lame request, rolls her eyes, and goes into the kitchen. I smile, closing my eyes, and being so exhausted from today's activities, I let my head rest heavily on JR's shoulder. He moves his arm behind me, along the back of the sofa, so that I can lean against him more comfortably. "Tired?" he murmurs. Without opening my eyes I reply, "Yah, a bit."

I don't think I ever get that handful of candy because the moment my head falls and JR's warmth seeps into me, I drift into a satisfied slumber.