Being Bold

Break Throughs ~[Part One]~

A/N: You'll see why, but keep that smile at the end of the above gif in your mind when reading a specific part of this chapter. I think you'll know because I kinda explain the smile in detail ^^

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STARR

"I'm going to kill them," JR and I say in unison. When the sounds of the group suddenly quieted, JR and I glanced back – only to see that the trail was deserted. We ran back to the three-way and walked each trail for several meters, but we could neither hear nor see the others. Swearing in both English and Korean, JR and I returned to the main path and decided just to continue since Amber said that it lead straight to the lake house.

I don't know what the hell she was talking about but this damned trail doesn't end.

I groan, "Why didn't I say no to her?" JR scoffs. "Would it have worked? Sweet Alice gets everything she wants." I smile at his expression warmly and reply, "Not with me. I'm the only person – that I know, at least – that can twist Amber's arm. I could've put up a bigger fight when she proposed hiking and got us all out of this . . . RIDICULOUS idea of hers, but I didn't think it was worth the effort."

There's a few minutes of calm silence as we work to avoid logs and not to lose an eyeball on the snapping branches. After about five minutes I start to feel sick. Not I'm-going-to-puke-all-over-my-boots sick, but the weight of my feelings for the boy walking beside me is sitting heavy in my gut and is getting more lead-filled as the minute wears on. The closeness between us – friendship-wise and physically – is going to drive me insane if I. Don't. Say. Something. Now. So I finally choose to be bold.

So softly that I'm not even sure it will reach JR's ears, I breathe, "I think I'm glad I came, though." I watch my feet, focusing thoroughly on the trail in the dim light now that I've said something. I'll turn my attention away from the ground when – if – JR replies.

An agonizing fifty steps passes without a word.

While taking step number fifty-two, something soft touches my forearm and trails down into my hand, interlacing through my fingers and then going limp, the breeze blowing against my palm, and something smooth brushes against my index finger in comfort.

I slow to a stop and so does JR. I gaze down at my hand and tears threaten to overflow over how beautiful and perfect the image looks to me. I look up at JR, suddenly uncertain of his motivations. The logical side of me is saying, For God's sake, Starr, what more proof do you want? While, on the other hand, the insecure part of me is whispering, Is he just being nice? Is this just a friendly gesture, like when I linked my arm through MinHyun's? What if, what if, what if?

But when I gaze up at JR's face, he's staring down at his hand and the small smile that plays on his lips tells me that he likes what he sees. He meets my eyes and I feel a stitch rip through the left side of my chest, concentrated on the one important muscle that rest there.

I told someone to shoot me before this happens, didn't I?

JR says quietly, "I'm happy that you're here, too." He my finger once more before letting his hand fall motionless. He starts to walk the poorly lit trail again, leading me by my hand. JR glances back to judge my expression and he smiles in that way of his, where he doesn't show his teeth and his lips just tilt and his whole face smiles for him. Are entwined hands hang between us, as I haven't moved yet, but when he turns his face to me, I thaw and blush, smiling delicately. I can't believe how this turned out. Lowering my eyes and biting my lip, I step forward, sidling close to JR's side and we continue on to the lake.

JR likes me.

Kim JongHyun likes me.

The boy I love likes me.