"He's important to me."

Feeling's Unknown

 

Key was getting worried; very, very worried. Onew had stopped walking home with him in the afternoon and Onew wouldn't tell him why. Key was getting angry too because they always told each other everything and yet now Onew isn't telling him something.  It's a Monday and he isn't here, at Borders with him. It's been the third time and they ALWAYS come to Borders together to read. They never, not even one, broke that tradition until now. Key got up from his comfortable chair, put the book he was reading back onto the shelf and stalked off, leaving a trail of dissatisfaction behind him. Key walked towards the school in which he had always attended since grade one and he had never come to school after school hours before so he was scared, but he was more angry at Onew so he picked up his courage and continued to walk towards the school. As the school loomed into view and Key stood at the front of the school gates, a chilly wind blew through him, making him shiver in his oversized t- and black skinny jeans. He hugged himself and looked up. Key walked into the playground and looked at his surroundings and then he looked at the sky. The sky was a dark grey was grim. As Key was looking at the sky, his head up he felt rain drops drop onto his perfect and smooth face. Soon, it was full on pouring and Key quickly looked around him, looking for the closest place to hide under, until the rain subsided, or at least most of it. Looking around he found nothing so he just ran to the main office building in which he classified as the "closest". On and on he ran and when he was close to it, Key suddenly knew that something bad was going to happen and that he was going to regret coming back to school but Key shook those thoughts away and continued to run towards the building, his only thought was to be dry.

 

Onew had never had as much fun as he was now. The girls of Sang Ying College, are nice, pretty and smart. Onew sighed happily, it was a very, very long time since he was around a girl and he had missed the thrill of it. This one particular girl caught her attention, Sae Young. She had a very slim figure and she was clever, nice, caring, and best of all, was his age. Looking at Sae Young he now knew why he had wanted to kiss Key before; it was because Key was the closest thing to a girl that Onew had around. Key would always stop him from interacting with other girls and only now, Onew knew that Key was selfish. Onew and Sae Young had finally finished their part in the school dance and the dance was next week.

"Hey, Jinki, do you-"

"Onew is fine Sae Young." Sae Young looked at Onew closely and then she nodded, a smile playing on her rose pink lips.

"Onew- would you like to have a cup of coffee with me now? Unless you need to rush home..."

"Oh no. It's fine. My parents don't mind me being out this late unless-" Not even finishing his sentence he suddenly remember him abandoning Key, all alone, in Borders. Onew shook his head, earning him a questioning look from Sae Yong.

"Don't worry. I'll accompany you, however much I hate coffee." Sae Young laughed. Onew loved her laugh. To him, it was like bells, and then he suddenly remembered Key's laugh; Key's laugh was like music. Onew shook his head a second him, not realising that Sae Young was looking at him worriedly.

"Are you okay? Maybe is best if we don't go out for coffee if you're worried..." Sae Young stopped talking and looked ahead of here, biting on her lips and disappointed at the thought of having the meeting cancelled. Onew stopped in front of her and suddenly, he hugged her. Sae Young froze on the spot and didn't know what to do. She was always forbidden to talk to guys, or have any interaction with them what so ever and now, a boy was hugging her.

 

Sae Young didn't know how to respond and Onew knew that she was nervous. He pulled her away an arms length and said to her,

"It's fine. I'll come with you to have tea or coffee okay? And I'm not worried about anything. " Sae Young looked at Onew. Sae Young knew then and there that she had fallen for Onew. Onew was different from the other guys that she had met before. They were all clingy but Onew wasn't. He was nice, he was caring and most of all, he had the most angelic smile Sae Young had ever seen. Sae Young kept on looking at Onew and soon, Onew began to feel uncomfortable.

"Is there something on my face?" Onew asked, really self conscious. Sae Young laughed and shook her head, making her fringe fall out onto her eyes. Onew smiled and helped her fix her fringe. When he was done, his hands lingered over her cheeks. Their eyes locked onto each others and soon, their lips were less than one centimetre's away when he heard a familiar gasp behind him. Onew snapped his head to the direction he heard the gasp and his eyes locked onto an angry pair of eyes from Key. Key stood there, dripping wet from running through the rain, and what he saw didn't please his eyes. He saw Onew, holding another girl and about to kiss her. Now Key knew what Onew was hiding from him. Key has had enough. Looking straight at Onew he said,

"I hate you." Key turned around and ran back out into the pouring rain, the rain making his back disappear from view and leaving a stunned Onew in the school hallway with Sae Young confused about the situation.  Onew stared at the space in which Key had once stood and suddenly every memory Onew had shared with Key came flooding onto his mind. Onew swayed and he dropped onto his knees, his head buried in his hands. Those memories went in and out of his eyes but those last words Key had spoke to him, lingered in Onew's ears. I hate you. I hate you. I hate you..Onew's head snapped up and his eyes began to be filled with tears and he saw so many of Key's smiling faces but when he saw that face, he didn't recognise Key anymore. He wasn't the Key that Onew had been with for the past decade or so.

 

Onew began to cry, forgetting that Sae Young was there, watching him. Sae Young looked at the Onew that was kneeling on the floor and she remembered that guy that had looked at him; suddenly Sae Young knew. She knew. She knew that Onew would never like her because he already loved someone else; but that doesn't mean that Sae Young was going to give up on him. For once, she was going to ask a guy out. She bent down to Onew's eye level and said softly,

"Do you want me to accompany you home?" Onew looked at Sae Young. He liked her. But Onew knew that he could live without Sae Young in his life but he knew that he HAD to have Key in his life, Key was his air, his heart, his soul, his life. Onew needed Key and only now, did Onew realise the importance of Key. Onew shook his head at Sae Young's invite and replied, just as softly, if not more softly,

"It's fine...I can go by myself...and anyways, I have to go find Key..." Onew trailed off his sentence. Suddenly Sae Young was really angry; a guy had turned her down for another guy and that had NEVER happened when she invited a guy, it was always a 'yes'; and this time was no difference, except that she was serious about this one guy.

"No? Look Onew. You're a guy. You can look after yourself. That person was a guy. He can look after himself. You don't have to be his babysitter-" Sae Young stopped talking when he saw Onew's glare. She had never seen him this angry before, even though they only met about a month ago, they would always talk so she thought she knew who Onew was, but she was wrong; and she was never wrong.

"Look, I'm really sorry okay? I didn't mean to...-"

"You're right." Sae Young looked at Onew weirdly.

"Huh?" Onew stood up.

"You're right. You're right because Key is a guy," So his name is Key, Sae Young thought.

"You're right because he should be able to look after himself." Sae Young took a sigh of relief and was about to smile when Onew talked again.

"But I can't take care of myself without Key. He's important to me." Sae Young clenched her fist and gave an angry sigh and looked at Onew.

"Who is he anyway? Why is he more important to you than me?"

"He's my life." Onew looked forward, ignoring Sae Young completely as if she was air. Sae Young couldn't take it anymore and so, she slapped Onew, hard.

 

*SLAP*

 

Onew's head snapped to the side.