15. Uti Vires

GangWars: A Tale Of Turmoil

 

 

15. Uti Vires
 
Uti Vires: "To use her powers"
 
 
 
"She decides to use what she is given..."
 
 
She chose Uti Vires.
 
 
"... before she succumbs to ignorance."
 
 
 
 
"Shirin-ah?! What are you doing here?!"
 
Changjo-yah, with a shocked expression, scrambled out of his bed at the sight of me entering his dorm room in the university where we both study in. He was wearing a long sleeved sweater and jogging pants, which had worked in my favor. I didn't have to see him or something of the sort. I wasted no time in reaching out to a paper bag in my hands.
 
His eyes opened wider when I threw him a set of clothes. He just stared at the articles of clothing like he had seen a fish swimming on land before gazing at me with a silent "Huh?!" in his features.
 
"Here. Wash up and dress in them. I have a mission for you to do."
 
I turned around to not see him go to the bathroom somewhere inside the dorm room. His hurried steps are already enough evidence that he was both shocked and nervous with my sudden appearance.
 
When I was certain that Changjo-yah was not in sight, I went towards his bed and sat on it, remembering what my purpose was for going to Changjo-yah's dorm room and giving him a mission to complete.
 
= = =
 
"Kwaenchana, Shirin-ah?" Taemin-ah said while waving a hand in front of my face. Perhaps I was really dazed because I only snapped out of the trance I had gotten into when he snapped his fingers in front of me.
 
"Ah. Mianhae, Taemin-ah. Were you saying something?" I asked blankly, turning towards him.
 
Taemin-ah just rolled his eyes playfully before chuckling.
 
"I was just saying that you've been staring out into space for about five minutes now. If you don't get out of my car, both of us will be late for our first class." He said, and I realized where I was and what I had been thinking about.
 
I immediately got out of the silver Porsche that Taemin-ah used to bring me to university, saying rushed words of gratitude and goodbye. As I began my run towards the entrance of the school, I looked behind me to find Taemin-ah waving at me through his open window before rolling it up and speeding away.
 
I strode into the classroom where I was going to have my first period, maintaining that air of indifference that I always have around me, and made my way towards the seat near the window. I brought my things down, took the chair, and stared out the window, letting my mind wander again to my thoughts back inside Taemin-ah's car.
 
Kai-sshi, despite how good he was in fighting [which I had openly witnessed during the first brotherhood war I had been in], doesn't look like someone who would have the knack to destroy and exact revenge on someone. I believe that somewhere in his past lies the reason for him to be in this kind of life, and being second-in-command of the SkullBeaters brotherhood, no less.
 
My brothers are exceptional people, may it be in the forms of either Chanho Oppa or Seunghyun Oppa. They could make it big even if they weren't leaders of a brotherhood because of how good they are in studies and in socializing with others. They even had solid reputations in their university, and they are hugely appreciated academically. But what could have caused them to let themselves be bound to a group of people committed to protecting what is theirs and going against those who would attempt to upset their balance of life?
 
And Taemin-ah himself might be a piece in this puzzle. He is too kindhearted to be living this kind of life. I couldn't say that he is commonplace because is nowhere near being part of the ordinary, especially with him being the son of a large company's CEO. Instead of being a part of this brotherhood, shouldn't he be preparing to take over the company his father runs or something?
 
There had to be a link to why these kinds of people are immersing themselves in the darker side of society.
 
Changjo-yah had a reason, which was why he chose to be a part of a brotherhood, and in him I see the exemplification of the words in Seunghyun Oppa's book. But what had caused all of those other people, some who are still students even, to just... have it in themselves to join this?
 
What could they want from a brotherhood?
 
I must find this out.
 
Even if it means that I should use the liberty and will given to me by my position as leader substitute to my brothers.
 
= = =
 
The moment Changjo-yah exited the bathroom wearing the set of clothes I gave him and drying his hair with his towel, I stood up from his bed and breathed deeply once.
 
"So, what is this mission that you have in store for me, Shirin-ah?" He asked of me, a hint of curiosity in his voice.
 
"Well, first of all, you're going to be my official chaperone." I answered with a mischievious grin playing on my lips. Changjo-yah just cocked his head to the side and looked at me with a confused face.
 
I laughed.
 
"You're going to be my accomplice this time. I came here by public vehicles to not let either my Oppas or Taemin-ah know where I am, since they seemingly put a tracker in all of our cars. Also, I need a researcher to find out some things about a certain person, and I need you to help me find just that. You MUST NOT tell my brothers about what I'm doing right now, and you also must keep this from Taemin-ah." I said, and with a few nods of understanding, Changjo-yah beckoned me to get started.
 
Changjo-yah and I exited his dorm room, and soon enough we found ourselves walking out of the university dorms.
 
"If it's a researcher you want, then I know a person who has the right stuff. She's a member of the brotherhood, and the spy headquarters that she's in is one of the most reliable. She does research work for the brotherhood, and it doesn't cost a thing. But that one's pretty close to Taemin-sshi though, as far as I've known, so it's gonna be a tough nut to crack." He offered while we were walking, and I pursed my lips a bit to think.
 
"Oh well, it's better that we have one already that we can go to, instead of looking blindly for a reliable one." I said after, letting my thoughts go out of my mouth. We continued our strides until we reached a sleek motorbike near the university dorm gates.
 
"I know that it might be traumatic for you to ride something like this again, especially what happened during your mission training, but..." Changjo-yah began, but I cut him off with a light slap to his shoulder.
 
"Whatever you say, Changjo-yah." I jokingly said before motioning to him that we should ride the vehicle already.
 
He rode the motorbike before I did, and it surprised me when he suddenly said that for his peace of mind, I should sit in front of him.
 
"It would be for my sanity, since I'll cover you from behind. My arms are long enough to maneuver the vehicle from here, anyways." He said, and with a small nod, I rode in front of Changjo-yah.
 
"Let's get going, then?" He whispered to my ear, and I let out an affirmative "Mhmm." before my eyes adjusted themselves to the moving pavement.
 
= = =
 
"Sunny-sshi, I've brought someone special for you to see."
 
A woman, Sunny, who was typing on the keys of a computer keyboard halted her motions and turned her face towards Changjo-yah and me. Her eyes immediately widened before looking at Changjo-yah like she was seeing a dead person who was brought to life.
 
"Is it her?" She asked him, and she got a nod in return.
 
What happened next surprised me.
 
Sunny-sshi stood up from the office chair that she was sitting on, abandoning her supposed work on the computer and looked at me long and hard. I felt myself grow stiff at the weight of her stares, and the most I could do was just swallow the lump forming in my throat. She then smiled before walking to where I was and inched her face close to mine.
 
My heartbeats quickened pace at what I feared was going to happen, but even before I could get a chance to react, Sunny-sshi withdrew before smiling.
 
"Well well well, Taemin-ah was right when he said that the Song Sister had quite the looks. Almost turned me against my gender preference earlier if I didn't catch myself in time." She said before winking at Changjo-yah, and at that, my eyes widened and my jaws fell open.
 
"Mworagoyo?!" I exclaimed... only to be met by chuckles from the two.
 
"She's just kidding about the gender preference stuff, Shirin-ah. She just means that you're really pretty." The male told me after smothering up his laughs. The female, on the other hand, just continued laughing before extending her hand for a shake. I took it hesitantly.
 
"Lee Soonkyu. I'm called Sunny here in the IT Department of Desertia Spy Headquarters. Welcome. What would you like me to do for you?" She told me before heading back to the computer she was working on earlier, continuing with the typing process she was doing previously.
 
I believe she was hacking into some database or something, judging by the familiarity of the command prompts on her screen.
 
"Well, I need you to research about someone in particular... I need you to take an oath of brotherhood fidelity regarding this research, too." I began, making Sunny-sshi halt her typing once more.
 
"This task must be very confidential, then. Did the Song Brothers send you?" She asked me curiously, but I just shook my head.
 
"No. I came here on my own volition. This research task must be kept to only the three of us, and not even my brothers nor Lee Taemin could know of it." I firmly stated, and I noticed Sunny-sshi hushing down. For a few moments, silence overtook the almost deserted IT Department room, and I was sure that Sunny-sshi is weighing options inside her head while not one of us uttered a word.
 
"Arasso. I swear that as a member of the brotherhood, this shall be kept a confidential research. Who would you want me to look into?" She asked me, looking into my eyes, and at that moment, I felt strength leave my body.
 
Would I be prepared for whatever Sunny-sshi finds in her search?
 
Despite the fear, though, I swallowed my nervousness and took a deep breath.
 
And in the silence of the IT Department Room of Desertia Spy Headquarters, with Sunny-sshi and Changjo-yah as my witnesses, I revealed the person.
 
"The second-in-command of the SkullBeaters brotherhood... Kai."
 
= = =

Important Note:

All pictures used are for the sake of clothing recognition and venue identification, which aids in better visualization of the story. The pictures are not mine, and I stake no claim on them. No copyright infringement intended. Were only re-uploaded for the sake of complation and assurance of long-lasting viewing activity. Thank you.