Memories Regained

Dark Streets of Seoul

Morning light streamed in through the window and Myungsoo got up with a start. He had planned to leave the motel with Sungjong during dusk.  It was almost afternoon now. 

            “Sungjong,” Myungsoo rolled over and was surprised when the boy wasn’t there.  He looked around and couldn’t find any of the clothes he’d bought for Sungjong in the room either.

            “Jongie-ah!” Myungsoo yelled. 

            “What?” Sungjong stuck his head out of the bathroom, rubbing his hair with a towel, “I packed my stuff. I’m ready to leave when you are.”

            Myungsoo sighed in relief as he saw Sungjong.  He got up and stuffed his remaining belongings into his luggage. 

            They were about to leave when Sungjong spotted a piece of white paper hidden near the heater.

            “What’s this?” Sungjong edged towards it.

            Myungsoo, realizing immediately what it was, yanked Sungjong back.

            “It’s nothing.  Let’s go.” 

            The motel door burst open and Myungsoo was thrown back as someone pushed him out of the way.

            “Sungjong!”

            Sungjong looked into the warm black eyes of a man with ruffled up black hair.  He had bruises covering his face and arms.  They looked similar to Sungjong’s, except more severe.

            “Do…do I know you?” Sungjong asked.  He looked to Myungsoo who looked absolutely terrified at the new arrival.

            “It’s me: Woohyun!  Sungjong, stop playing around.  Let’s get out of here,” Woohyun put a pistol in Sungjong’s hand and started dragging him out of the motel.

            “Wait!  But I don’t know you!” Sungjong exclaimed as he pulled back.  He was looking desperately to Myungsoo, who was still on the floor. 

            Woohyun turned to him, “Sungjong.  It’s me!” Woohyun held out his right wrist and Sungjong saw scratches in the wrist spelling out the word Nam. Woohyun grabbed Sungjong’s left wrist and turned it upward. 

            “Stop!” Myungsoo screamed, as he pulled Sungjong back.  But it was too late.  Sungjong had seen the scratches that had spelt Jong.  And with it, all his memories came back.  Dozens of dead bodies in front of him: blood flowing everywhere, soaking Sungjong’s clothes with it.  His hair being pulled roughly as Hoya pressed him against the wall. The feeling of Hoya sliding metal chains on his wrists so he couldn’t escape.  He remembered being pushed into a cage with Woohyun in the one beside him.  Threatening Hoya that if he escaped that he’d kill the man who had captured them. 

            Myungsoo used this temporarly silence to roll on the ground and take out the pistol he had strapped under the bed.  He quickly got up and pointed it at Woohyun, "You're not taking him." 

            Sungjong looked at Woohyun and then at Myungsoo.  He gripped the gun in his hand and turned it towards Myungsoo.

            “You knew who I was all along?” Sungjong asked in a cold voice.

            A look of surprise came over Myungsoo's face but he shook his head.  He looked at the gun that was pointed at him and then turned the one in his own hand to the boy. 

            “You’re a fool.  You thought you could take me away?  You think I wouldn’t remember?” 

            Myungsoo lowered his gun and held out his hand, “Jongie.”

            “You captured Woohyun,” Sungjong said, “You’re lucky I’m not killing you right now!”

            Sungjong went over to the heater and picked up the piece of paper.  It was a newspaper article from Police Daily.’The Two Mass Murderers most commonly known as NamJong have finally been captured.  They are now in a deep underground prison.  Although the location is unknown, sources assume that they are held at Hoya Police Headquarters.”  He threw the article to the ground. 

            "Then kill me," Myungsoo said softly. 

            “Kill him Jong.  We need to leave!” Woohyun urged the younger boy.

            Sungjong steadied his hand as he pointed the pistol in between Myungsoo’s eyes, “You’re a real idiot.”

            “I thought you could start a new life!  You aren’t the same person!  We can still run away together.”

            Woohyun laughed, “You were going to run away with that guy?”

            “I lost my memory okay?  I didn’t know who this idiot was,” Sungjong turned back to Myungsoo and their eyes met for a brief moment.  He lowered his gun and pushed Woohyun out the door, “Come on.  We don’t need to kill him. Let’s just get out of here.”

            “If you don’t want to kill him, I will!” Woohyun argued, “That son of a captured me!”

            “But he saved me!” Sungjong argued.  Woohyun relented and together they left. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

THANK YOUS:  BrokenWhispers <3 hamgyuLOVER <3 derpyme <3 Hyukkie66 <3 Ashertua <3 ForeverCellist <3 BrighterthanMushroom <3 changkyu_haehyuk <3 rainxsky13 <3 lynnsiow <3