Awww Poor Insecure Onew

Onhohoho

Onew woke up the next morning with a smile on his face and a spring in his step.  He was rarely excited about going to school but the prospect of speaking with Minho again overshadowed everything else. 

 

Onew spent more time that he would ever admit getting ready that morning.  He made sure his hair was impeccable, taking the time to put in his contacts rather than just wearing glasses and he even put on some bb cream he had stolen from his mother (a secret he would take to his grave).  After all, his girl friends always told him that good skincare habits were the basis for beauty.  He had never given it much thought before but today he wanted to look good.  He wanted to make a statement.   Sadly there was only so much of a “statement” one could make when they were still subject to wearing a drab school uniform.  Navy blue was just not Onew’s color.  

 

“Jinki darling!”  His mother yelled from the kitchen.

 

“Coming Umma!”  He called back, grabbing his backpack and giving himself one last once-over in the mirror, nodding in satisfaction before heading out the door.

 

“Jinki eat your breakfast before you leave okay?”  His mother said, giving him a quick kiss to the forehead before grabbing her purse and heading out of the house.

 

Onew hummed happily to himself, making quick work on the food his mother had laid out for him.  His mind wandered off to thoughts of Minho.  Onew just couldn’t seem to get the thought of the younger boy out of his mine.  Memories of Minho’s long legs and the way his muscles rippled under his thin cotton shirt replayed on a loop in Onew’s mind.  His thoughts lingered on Minho’s sharp jaw line, how mesmerizing his double adam’s apple was whenever he swallowed and his large, wide-set eyes that were just swimming with secrets.

 

Onew finished his breakfast in a rush; his thoughts had only made him more eager to get to school.  He knew that his fuzzy memories did not do the younger boy justice and he was ready to see him in person once again.

 

~~~    

 

"So are you going to join any clubs?" Onew asked when they settled into their seats the next day.  He was practically bouncing in excitement to finally be able to talk to the younger boy once again.   


The taller boy simply gave him a polite smile and shook his head. 

 

"Why not? There has to be something that interests you!  There are lots of different groups, sports, academics, music, books; pretty much anything you like!"  Onew pressed, trying desperately to get the younger boy to open up with him, even if only about school.


When he didn't response Onew’s smile faltered at Minho’s lack of response.  

 

“What about sports?  You look like a sports person.  It’s not too far into the season, you could probably still get on the soccer team.  And I think basketball tryouts start in like a month or so.”  Onew’s voice trailed off slightly at the end.  Minho looked beyond bored with the conversation but the younger was far too polite to tell him outright. 

 

Minho hummed in acknowledgement of his words but made no effort to reply.

 

"Then are you this quiet with everyone?”  Onew asked quietly.  Onew was not used to being ignored or rejected.  His bright and happy personality had a tendency to make people gravitate towards him.  He was at a loss for what to do since he had never had to work to make people talk with him.  It was usually as natural as breathing.  But with Minho the awkward atmosphere hung in a heavy cloud around their desks. 


"I think class is starting." Minho replied, averting his eyes and avoiding the question completely. 

 

His vague, non-answer did nothing to calm Onew’s fears. 

 

The rest of the morning Onew’s sunny disposition was dimmed and a fake replica replaced his usually bright smile. 


~~~


The memory plagued Onew’s mind all day.  

 

Why didn't Minho want to talk to him?  

 

Was Minho just shy?  

 

Or did Minho find his personality annoying? 

 

Was he really annoying?

 

Or was he reading into things?

"Hyung what's wrong?  You look like you have a vendetta against your lunch," Jonghyun asked as he watched Onew stab his rice violently with his chopsticks.

 
"Does he think I'm annoying?" Onew asked abruptly in response.

 
"Well I don't know who 'he' is but I sure think you're annoying."  Jonghyun replied with a smirk.


"Jong this is serious.  I really don't think he wants to talk to me," Onew said, pouting. 


"Well maybe that is just a sign that you guys aren't quite as 'destined' to be together as you seem to think,” Jonghyun retorted.


"Are you always this unhelpful?" Onew asked bitterly. 


"Yep," Jonghyun replied, making the 'p' pop at the end. 


Onew rolled his eyes. "Jonghyun you have to help me." 


"Help you with what exactly?"  Jonghyun said, eyeing Onew wearily.  Onew’s plans had a tendency to fail miserably and create a destructive vortex for anyone involved.


"Help me get Minho!  How do you get all those girls?"  Onew asked turning is full attention onto the younger boy.


"Well, first of all, they are girls.  It’s a fundamentally easier target to begin with.  Second, I am naturally handsome." Jonghyun paused, giving Onew a pointed look before continuing, "And third, I don't actually like them.  It makes things less messy." 


"That isn't helpful at all!  And I don't like the implication that I'm not handsome!  Lots of girls like me!"  Onew argued, offended that Jonghyun would suggest such a thing.


"Hyung your mother's opinion doesn't count."  Jonghyun chide.


"I hate you."


"No you don't.  Now eat your food hyung."  Jonghyun replied, waving off his words without the slightest bit of emotion.

 

"No.  You are going to help me with this.  I don't ask for a lot out of this friendship. You owe me," Onew said with an air of finality.


Jonghyun groaned in frustration, letting his forehead fall onto the lamenting tabletop with a huff.  "Hyung, I don't know what you expect me to do.  I know nothing about this kid.  Are you sure the guy is even gay?" 


Onew paused; he had honestly never even considered the possibility that Minho was straight, which in retrospect, he realized was rather stupid. 

 

He looked and Jonghyun with a sheepish smile.


"Are you kidding me hyung?  You expect me to help you when you haven't even figured out which team he plays for?"  Jonghyun said with a glare, his words laced with annoyance.


"What does that even mean?  When did sports work their way into this conversation?"  Onew asked, bewildered.


Jonghyun stated at him momentarily, trying to figure out if Onew was being serious or simply trying to make a bad joke. He decided on the former and sighed in defeat.  "I can't do this today.  I swear for someone so smart you are really too stupid to function."


"What did I say?" Onew yelled as Jonghyun got up and strolled out of the cafeteria.

 


Yep Jonghyun is definitely my favorite. 

I'll try to give this another round of editing later.  It probably needs it.

Sorry this isn't being updating terribly fast.  I am hoping to keep it to at least once a week right now.  I'm just super busy with school and stuff.  You know how it is.  Also, the only thing more stressful than school itself, is getting ready to graduate and trying to find a damn job.  Talk about stressful. 

But anways, working on the next part as we speak, I promise Minho starts having a personality soon.  And Taemin and Key do show up eventually as well.  :D

Also, unrelated but i'm working on a short piece of Jongho ty .  I feel like I haven't written actual in awhile but i'm pretty sure its just been a few weeks.  But I guess for me that is awhile. 

Anywho!  Talk to me and stuff.  I get bored.