Transitions

Onhohoho

 

Sorry it's late and stuff.  Blame AFF being an .  And me being lazy... but mostly AFF.


 

The next day Onew was surprised by the onslaught of compliments he received on his new look.  It seemed as if everyone noticed and felt the need to comment on his appearance.  

 

Well, everyone but Minho.

 

Onew couldn't say he was surprised but it still stung to see the younger boy so indifferent.  He wished Minho would just look at him.  Onew had never felt so desperate for someone’s attention before.  But it wrecked him inside to feel Minho’s cold shoulder everyday, especially when he was trying so damn hard just to get Minho to acknowledge him. 

 

His days slowly turned into weeks as Onew’s life fell into a pattern.  He still sat next to the younger boy but he no longer made an effort to chat, barely managing a weak smile each morning.  It simply hurt too bad to try anymore.  To be rejected everyday.

 

Every afternoon he watched silently from the bleachers while the basketball team practiced.  A few of his friends from the team had noticed his abnormal subdued attitude recently, always making an effort to chat with him.  While he appreciated the thought, he really just wanted to be left alone for a while.  He didn't like the idea of people noticing how effected he was by the younger boys rejection.  So he put on a bigger smile, but it was still as fake as ever. 

 

~~~

 

Onew sat in his usual spot on the bleachers; spacing out again.  Even after all this time he hadn’t been able to develop an interest in the sport, but he quickly snapped out of his state when he noticed the coach running onto the court.  Onew's heart leaped into his throat; worry seeping into every pore.  His hands gripped tightly to the metal seat, the sharp edge of the underside cutting into his fingers.  He watched, wide eyed and terrified.

 

Minho was hurt.

 

The younger boy was sitting on the wooden floor cradling his wrist tenderly, pain written all over his face.

 

"Jinki-ah! Go get some ice!" the coach called, breaking Onew out of his petrified trance.

 

He jumped up, quickly running to the storage closet for the key before hurrying to the cafeteria to the ice machine.

 

When he got back he found Minho had been moved to the bleachers and was still holding his wrist, waiting patiently for him to return.

 

Onew sat down next to him, straddling the bench and held out his hand, "let me see."

 

"I can do it," Minho protested weakly.

 

Onew huffed in annoyance, "This is what I'm here for.  Let me see," he repeated, an air of authority in his voice.

 

Minho held his arm out gingerly, shivering when Onew gently ran his fingers across the swollen joint.  As softly as he could he pressed the package of ice to the tender flesh and holding it in place. 

 

Minho stared at the floor, avoiding eye contact as Onew continued to cradle his injured hand.

 

Onew sighed softly, here he was, touching Minho and yet they still seemed miles apart.  All he wanted was to be with Minho, to see him smile, to see him happy.  Apparently that was asking too much out of his lot in life.

 

"It's just a little sprain, the swelling should go down quickly," Onew said quietly, shifting the ice as gently as he could.

 

"Thank you Onew-ssi," Minho responded, his tone sounded tired, defeated. 

 

Onew had figured Minho would come up with some excuse to avoid him but the younger just sat quietly, allowing Onew to do as he pleased.  Maybe the pain was getting to his head, preventing him from thinking rationally because under normal circumstances Minho hated to even be in the same room as Onew.

 

The practice ended shortly afterwards and Onew was still sitting with Minho, trying the best he could to care for Minho's injured wrist while ignoring the awkward tension that hung heavy in the air.

 

"Minho-ah I have to go clean up now.  You should go get changed and head home."

 

Minho nodded making is way towards the locker rooms as Onew quickly begun collecting the balls and putting them in the storage closet.  He grabbed the broom, quickly running the broad cloth piece across the floor before locking everything up and grabbing his stuff for the locker room.  However he was surprised when he entered to find Minho still there, struggling to get dressed with only one hand.  

 

He was wearing a tight, flimsy white tank top with a pair of jeans that were seated low on his hips, showing off the thick black band of his boxers as he fruitlessly tried to fasten the clasp.  Small beads of water were dripping off of his freshly showered hair, soaking through his thin shirt and making it transparent and tight in a way that should be illegal.  

 

He looked up in surprise as he heard Onew enter, letting out a small gasp as an adorably dark blush graced Minho’s cheeks.

 

"Um, Minho-ah do you need some help?" Onew asked awkwardly, trying not to stare but Minho’s very open jeans kept drawing Onew’s eye.

 

Minho shifted uncomfortably. "It's fine Onew hyung," he muttered.

 

They both froze; Minho had obviously been distracted and had let the familiar term slip past his relentless guards.  It had been so long now since Onew had heard that phrase from Minho and it sent a new wave of sadness through his system.

 

Onew smiled faintly, "it's all part of the job, right?" he said with a forced laugh, stepping in front of the younger with feigned courage.

 

He could feel Minho's eyes boring into him as he tentatively reached for the waistband, hooping the metal button through the hole quickly; repressing a shudder as his fingers accidentally grazed the soft exposed skin of his taunt stomach.

 

He stepped back immediately, his cheeks flushed, "you can get the zipper yourself right Minho-ah?"

 

Minho nodded, avoiding making eye contact.

 

Onew grabbed his things from the locker, slipping on his puffy jacket before slinging his bag over his shoulder.

 

"Um," Onew began, "I have to tutor Taeminnie today.  Do you want to walk together?" he bit his lip nervously, knowing he was pushing his luck with such a blatant request.  

 

Minho froze, obviously torn between being polite and being honest.  An awkward tense silence hung in the air.

 

He shouldn’t have asked.  He knew the answer.  He always knew the answer. 

 

"Nevermind," Onew muttered, "I'll see you later Minho-ah." his voice strained as he relented.  His shoulders slumped in defeat as he trudged out of the locker room.

 

Onew held himself together the whole way to Minho’s house, too used to the daily rejection to allow it to effect him anymore. 

 

Or so he thought. 

 

As soon as Onew walked into the entry way of Taemin’s house, the classic family portrait hanging inoffensively for all to see, pictorial Minho flashing that cheesy smile was all it too much for Onew.   His flimsy walls began to crumble.  No matter what he did, not matter how hard he tried; he would never be good enough for Minho, because Minho simply didn’t want him.  At this point his attempts to forge a relationship with the younger boy were simply causing them both pain and difficulties. 

 

It was time.

 

It was time to learn how to move on, how to forget about Choi Minho for good. 

 

He could hear soft footsteps coming closer as he sank onto the floor, feeling vulnerable and so incredibly stupid as hot tears began to run down his cheeks.

 

When he felt Taemin’s thin arms wrap around his shoulders he didn’t even have the strength to put on a happy face for his dongsang; simply crying harder onto the younger boy’s shoulder.

 


Awwww sadness and stuff.  It kinda looks like the of the angsty doesn't it?  You know what that means?  Yep... stuff gets happier real soon.  Which means the story is almost over.  Idk about you guys but I am quite happy about that fact.

I have all but like one chapter written for this story.  I will try and finish it this week.  I will be spending a lot of time on busses so I should be able to write a bit on vacation.