Comfort

Deliria High: The Dance Partner

When I got back to my room, I get back into bed. For a while I just lay there. The kiss kept running through my mind. The last kiss, the goodbye kiss, the end. I tried to cry quietly against my pillow but HyeSu awoke anyway.

 

"Minnie," She sat up sleepily and rubbed her eyes. "Are you crying!"
She came over and sat on my bed. "What happened."
In-between sobs, I told her what had happened. That it was over.
For a few moments she didn't say anything. Then she sighed deeply and my hair.
"Maybe it's for the best." She said gently.
How could it be for the best.
"And Ren's right; you have fallen for JR."
Why was everyone else so sure of my feelings for him.
"I have dance rehearsals with him tomorrow, I don't want to go." I croaked.
"You should go. You can't avoid him forever. And technically it isn't his fault. Even though there's been so much drama and arguments, when it comes down to it, he's just a boy in love with you."
--------
The next morning I walked slowly to the dance studio. I was 15 minutes late and my eyes were puffy and red. I paused before opening the door of the dance studio to take a deep breath.
JR was lying on the floor of the dance studio, tapping his feet to the beat. At the sound of the door shutting, he looked over.
"Finally! What time do you call this?"
He got to his feet and started to walk over. His whole face changed when he saw the state of my eyes.
"What's happened?" He gasped.
"Nothing." I said, taking of my bag and going to the mirror. 
JR took hold of my hand.
"You've been crying."
I shook my head.
"Not today." I said truthfully.
"Then yesterday?"
"Yes JR. Not that it matters."
"It matters to me." He said. "Tell me who it was, who made you cry. You know I'll sort them out for you."
"You don't need to sort out anyone." I said exasperated. "Now can we just get started?"
I walked over to the stereo and sorted through the cd's.
"We still need to decide on a song to do apart from the one that was chosen for us."
“Why do you do this?”

“Do what?” I sighed, still not turning around.

“Hold everything in. You never tell me your problems. Don’t you trust me?”

“I do trust you.” I replied truthfully.

“Then what is it?”

“Nothing! Everything! What does it matter? You can’t help me anyway.” It was only afterwards that I became fully aware of what Id’ said. I regretted the words at the look of hurt on JR’s face. He swallowed hard and looked down. I sighed deeply and set the cd’s in the rack, leaning my forehead on the stereo.

“Okay so maybe I can’t help in a big way.” He said in a small voice. “But maybe I could help in a small way?”

I looked up. JR held out his arms. I walked over towards him and he folded me into his embrace. For once it was a hug without any other intentions.  I could feel the pulse of JR’s heartbeat and his hand was rubbing my back reassuringly. It reminded me of the hug we’d shared in the book store when I’d told him about my Mother.  

“One day I’ll show you what you mean to me.” He whispered softly.