The Secrets.

Deliria High: The Dance Partner

 

In bed that night, I looked across at HyeSu. She was listening to music through headphones.

“HyeSu.”

“HyeSu!

“HYESU!”

She looked over finally, and pulled them out.

“Did you call me?” She said innocently.

I could only laugh.

“Don’t you like anyone?”

I was surprised to see the colour drain from her cheeks.

“No.” She said firmly.

I could tell that she plainly didn’t want to talk about it. I waited, in case, but her jaw was set .

“Do you think he’ll come again.” I said after a moment of silence. I didn’t even have to say who I meant.

HyeSu blinked slowly, contemplating.

“Honestly...I don’t know.”

I nodded.

“But if he does come, I’ll be the one hearing the knock and opening the door! You sleep like you’re dead!”

I giggled.

“You’re the best HyeSu!”

“Yeah yeah I know.” She grinned.

------------------------

He did come again. And the night after that. Every single night for the rest of the week he entered my room and slipped into the bed, holding me close, while HyeSu slipped out of the door. Even though I told her we didn’t do anything that meant she had to go, she always went anyway. Where she even went at that time of night I’ll never know but I’ll always love her for not caring about the sleepless nights she had or complaining about leaving the room.

Some times when I didn’t want to fall asleep I would talk about absolute bull just to stay awake. Or I’d kiss him until he pulled away, his cheeks blushing.

I never saw him in the day time. I wondered what was going through his mind. And mine.

Around the Christmas holidays, HyeSu told me she was going home for the weekend, just to see her parents.

“Oh.” I said stunned. These would be the first days we’d not spend together. She came over and gave me a quick hug.

“Even though I’ll only be gone for a few days, I’ll still miss you silly unnie.”

All too soon the day of departure arrived. She only packed a small knapsack of things to take.

“I’ll say good bye to you here,” She said firmly. “I’m awful at good byes so let’s make it quick.”

I nodded, sniffing back sudden tears.

“If anything happens, you ring me and I’ll be right back.” She whispered.

We hugged quickly and when we drew apart HyeSu was crying.

“I’ll see you on Monday yes?” I smiled, wiping my face.

“Monday.” She agreed, before turning round and leaving the room.

Last night, before Ren had come, I had heard her threatening JR at the door.

“Stay away from her while I’m gone JR.” She said. Her voice sounded tired. “I mean it, she doesn’t want to see you.”

“What’s to stop me from pushing past you right now.” Said JR calmly.

HyeSu’s voice switched. “How about my fist in your face? You haven’t forgotten my warning have you? Un less you want to see a knife in my hand, stay the away. Okay?”

She slammed the door in his face. I squinted through my eyelashes. HyeSu passed a hand over her face, sighing deeply, before she got back into bed.

My first night without HyeSu came all too quickly. I tried to stay awake in case Ren knocked, but sleep hit me like a slap. I only awoke when he closed the door behind him.

“HyeSu gave me her key card.” He said, tucking it in his pocket. “She says you sleep through anything.”

I rubbed my face embarrassed and held out my arms. He came to me for a hug but drew away after a second and began to kiss me, as if drawing strength from my lips. I played with his hair, running it through my fingers.

Before I knew it, we were on my bed, Ren laying gently over me. Normally he would have stopped by now and laughed shyly or sang me to sleep, but tonight he just kept kissing, his tongue running along my bottom lip.

I started thinking is there a moment when your heart’s beating so fast that it finally says Damn, I can’t handle it and just stops dead? How can it keep up with moments like these. I was sure Ren could feel my heart, hell I’m sure people in the next room could hear it racing.

Finally I drew away, breathing heavily. He immediately lowered his head on to my neck, dabbing away like a kitten. I had to physically bite my lips together to keep from making a sound. I knew there was something making Ren act like this, something wrong. His skin was hot, his movements desperate.

Carefully I brought his face above me. His lips puckered towards mine, making him look stupidly cute. His eyes were half closed.

“What’s wrong?” I said softly.

He shook his head quickly, leaning down again, put I kept his head away.

“Don’t give me that. Tell me.”

He sighed and sat upright, re tying his hair.

“Isn’t this enough Minjae.” He said quietly.

“For what? Us?”

He nodded.

“I-I d-don’t know what you mean.” I stammered. He took my hands and linked them through his. “Like you being here at night?” He nodded again.

“Well they’re the best nights of my life for sure.” I said with a laugh. He smiled faintly. “Why? Aren’t they enough for you?”

“They are.” He said.

“But..?” I knew there was a ‘but’ hovering at the end of sentence, just waiting to be noticed.

“But JR’s right. He loves you too.” He sounded so mournful. “I’ve been friends with him for so long. Normally when he likes someone he can’t have, he moves on. But this time...” He looked at me. “HyeSu said he’s been knocking on your door...”

I nodded. Ren smiled sadly.

“You see? I can’t even speak to him, and he can’t to me.” Ren rested his head on my shoulder.

“So what do you want to do.”

“Right now? Kiss you.” He pouted. I slapped him playfully but gave him a quick peck on the cheek.

“That’s not what I meant...” He whispered, latching on to my lips, his tongue dancing with mine. I lay my hand on his chest and pushed him down gently.  I tried to focus but all the while there was this niggling thought buzzing in my head like a bloody annoying bee. I pulled away and sat up, my head in my hands, which I did all the time. I swear I should have a separate set of hands just for putting my head into.

“I’ve upset you.” Ren observed.

“No, no it’s not you. What you’re saying is right. I just don’t know what to do.”

“Both.”

For a moment it didn’t register.

Then I got it.

My head jerked up.

“What?

“Well not exactly both, but you know...”

“No I don’t know Ren!”

“Listen Minjae, there’s no other choice. Today I heard JR telling Baekho he was thinking of leaving.”

Over a girl? Over me!” I exclaimed, astounded.

“Well you are quite loveable.” He ruffled my hair. “But yeah, he’ll leave. And even though I’m annoyed at him, he’s still one of my best friends.”

“And how is dating both of you going to help your friend ship.” I cried. “This would be cheating Ren! It’s so wrong.”

“Have you got any other suggestions.”

“I literally can’t believe you’re suggesting this. You must have lost your mind.”

“You wouldn’t have to kiss him or anything, you could just pretend.”

I looked at him in pure disbelief.

“Pretend? JR is still a person you know! I can’t do that to him, just mess with his feelings.”

“It’d only have to be for at least two weeks at the most,” Ren said desperately,” And then you can pretend to break up with him.”

“You’ve really thought this all out haven’t you!”

“It’s all I’ve been thinking about!”He cupped my face in his hands. “I’m not going to give you up Minjae. I love you.”

I loved to hear those words but still I shook my head. I really couldn’t believe he was serious.

“But JR won’t give up on you either.”

“Even after I break up with him, and I’m not saying I’m going through with this, won’t he just go back to how he is now? Depressed?”

“No, because he’ll know he’s had his shot. He’ll just have to accept it.”

“Maybe he’ll just accept it now.” I said desperately. “He has to give up some time.”

“No, I’ve seen how determined he is. He’ll either leave the school or keep on waiting for you.”

“I can’t believe you’re asking me to do this. Don’t you care that I wouldn’t be you’re girlfriend anymore?” I said in a small voice.

“But you would! You wouldn’t really be his girl friend, it’d just be pretend. ” Ren exclaimed. “I’d still come and see you at night but then...”

“...I’d be with JR in the day.” I finished.

“It’ll make him happy.”

“Well I won’t be happy. He’ll expect me to kiss him and everything. This is so un fair to him Ren.” I began to cry.

“Okay Minjae, it doesn’t matter.” Ren hugged me. “I just don’t know what to do. It was just a thought. I just don’t know what to do.”

“It was a silly one.” I mumbled in to his shirt.

“It’s the only one.” He sighed.

We settled in to our nightly position, Ren’s arms wrapped tight around me. I shuffled even closer and closed my eyes.

I couldn’t sleep.

I couldn’t go out with both of them. I wasn’t like that. It would be cheating.

But Ren made the plan sound so simple.

JR by day, Ren by night.

I wouldn’t have to do anything with JR, just hold his hand and look in love, and then at the end of the two weeks...I would break his heart.

My tears made Ren’s shirt wet.

I couldn’t do it to JR.

Could I?

---------------------------

The next night, Ren tried to broach the subject again. I didn’t even let him get past the first sentence.

“Stop.”

“I’ve been thinking some more.”

His eyes were large and imploring.

“I’m tired I just want to go to sleep.” I said

We didn’t say anything for the rest of the night.

---------------------------

The next day during dance class, I was talking to a boy called Myungsoo as we practiced routines.

“Hey I haven’t seen HyeSu around that much, you guys are always hanging around together.” He said.

“Oh she’s gone to see her Mum for the weekend.”

He stopped dancing and gave me a funny look.

“Just for the weekend?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh.” He shrugged his shoulders. “Just seems like a long way to go for one weekend.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well don’t her parents live in England?”

“What?!” I stopped dancing and stared in shock. “She never told me that!”

He shrugged again.

“Well I’m pretty sure they do. I don’t think she’d be able to travel there and back in one weekend. What day did she say she was coming back?”

“Monday... She left yesterday.”

“She’d never be able to make it there and back in one weekend.”

“Alright class, let’s get back to work.” Shouted the dance instructor.

I tried to focus but I couldn’t concentrate.

If HyeSu wasn’t with her parents...

Then where the hell was she?

 

---------------------------

The next day was Monday, the day HyeSu was due back. In the afternoon I heard a knock at the door. I leaped out of bed, expecting it to be HyeSu, and sure enough there she was.

I knew something was wrong as soon as she stepped in to the door.

“HyeSu!” I squealed happily, throwing my arms around her.

“Hey.” She replied listlessly.

I stepped back. She looked a state, like she hadn’t slept in days. Her eyes were all puffy and red, her hair limp down her back.

“Are you okay?!”

She nodded, sitting on her bed. Just sitting there. She looked as though she had the weight of the world on her shoulders. I got a brush and began to comb out her hair.

“Where did you go HyeSu.” I asked softly.

“I went to visit my parents remember.” She said.

“No, I know about your Mum HyeSu; where she lives.”

She tensed.

“Who told you?”

“That doesn’t matter-”

“It matters to me!” She was nearly in tears. I stopped brushing and knelt in front of her.

“Where you’ve been matters to me! I’ve been so worried.”

“Well there was no need to be.” She snapped. “I just went for a walk.”

“For Two days!” I grabbed her hands. “Please HyeSu. Just tell me.”

She sighed, closing her eyes.

“I went to meet someone.” I could tell it was a boy from her tone of voice.

“Okay...” I said slowly. “And what happened?”

“Nothing.”

“Look HyeSu, whatever it was...”

“Nothing happened!” She burst into tears. “Because he didn’t show up. I was stupid to think he’d changed...”

“Who’d changed?”

But she only shook her head.

“I’ll tell you another time. Just not today, please. I just can’t...” She lay back on her bed, face buried in to her pillow as she sobbed.

-------------------------------

WHO DO YOU THINK HYESU WENT TO MEET (It's not anyone we've already met before. I'll give you a clue: There in a newly debuted kpop band) ;O This scene links in to the next fan fic in the Deliria High series! Please tell me what you think! 

More about Ren's completely odd decision will come later!

Oh yeah....

I PASSED 100 SUBSCRIBERS. I actually squealed when I saw it, thanks so much everyone :) And thanks to those who wished me luck on my GCSE's, I'll need it :') Take care! -Wave <3