Goodbye

Deliria High: The Dance Partner

For the first time in two weeks, I awoke in the middle of the night to the sound of knocking on the door.

I got out of bed and opened the door, peering out into the dark corridor.

"Ren." I said in shock. He was standing in the doorway with his hair pulled back messily, wearing a black hoodie and white shorts. He didn't say anything for a while and neither did I. It didn't feel awkward...it felt sad.

"Come with me for a second." He said his voice hoarse. I nodded and slipped out of the room, shutting the door quietly.

We went on to the roof top. It was silent and still at this time of night. The moon was a huge mottled ball hanging low in the sky.

Ren turned to me.

"I haven't seen you in ages." I began.

"I figured that there wasn't much point in coming anymore." He said quietly.

"Why?" I whispered in shock.

Ren sighed and rubbed his hands over his face. 

"Isn't it obvious?" 

I shook my head, but deep down I had a terrible suspicion.

"You've fallen in love with him." He sighed. "It's clear to see."

I started to shake my head,

"That's not true Ren I-"

Ren stepped forward and cupped my cheeks, cutting me off.

"Don't." He whispered "Don't say it. I can see it in your eyes, in the way you act, the way you dance. Your whole face lights up when he talks to you. And when Su-Ji was around, you automatically went closer to him like he'd protect you. Like he made you feel safe."

I stared at him in a mixture of guilt, shock and horror. I hadn't even realised I'd been acting like this. I thought I had been acting normal around everyone. When JR and I were alone, he made me feel all hot and bothered and confused. Did I love him?

"It's not your fault." Ren continued. "It was me and my stupid plan. That has evidently backfired. Stupid stupid me."

He let go and smacked himself hard on the head.

"Don't!" I gasped, catching hold of his hands.

"I was so stupid Minnie." He cried. "I kept telling myself to just forget the plan. Forget what JR felt. To just be with you.". He buried his head in his hands. "But then all of a sudden it happened. You two were in love. I was too late."

"How can you be so sure we're in love." I said desperately. "I don't even know my own feelings."
In reply, Ren carefully held up the necklace JR had got me for my birthday.

"JR wears a necklace too." He said softly "Identical to this one. But on the end, instead of a Queens' crown on the end, there's a King’s crown. King and Queen."

My eyes widened.

"I didn't k-know." I stammered immediately "I didn't know he had that necklace." Ren gently shook his head.

"It doesn't matter. Not anymore. None of it matters." Ren smiled sadly. "My times with you were some of the best moments of my life." Tears bubbled in my eyes. I shook my head. Not wanting to hear him say it... Not wanting him to say good bye. "Although there's been lots of drama, I don't regret a single thing. I want you to know that. I'd do it all over again."

"Please Ren." I whispered, tears falling to their deaths on my cheeks. "Don't say this. I love you."

"I love you too." Ren took both of my hands in his. "And I'll always love you. You will always be my first love. The first one who had my heart. But you fell for JR the day you arrived. The first time he smiled at you all those months ago. It just took me a while to realise it."

I was sobbing freely now. My heart felt like it had dropped into my stomach and was slowly disintegrating into pieces. 

"P-please Ren you don't have to do this." I begged. "We can make it work."

"Shh." He murmured. "I don't want you to cry. I don't want you to cry ever again." He wiped away the tears on my cheeks carefully. Then he bowed his head. I could tell he was trying to hold himself together. Finally Ren looked up.

"Could I have one last kiss?" He choked. "Just one last..."

Slowly I pressed my lips against his. Tears kept coursing down my cheeks and I threw my arms around his neck, wanting to feel him for the last time. Ren's breath hitched, and seconds later I felt wetness on his cheeks. Our tears mingled as we kissed. His lips were warm and familiar and soft against mine. The kiss escalated until Ren was delivering feverish pecks all over my mouth, sobbing inbetween. This couldn't be the last time, I refused to believe it. Tomorrow when we had both calmed down, I would go to him and tell him he'd got it wrong. That I didn't love JR. I didn't even know what I felt for JR, he sent me into a whirl of confusion. When we close, I felt a stirring in my stomach and my temperature would rise. I felt nervous, like I would make a fool of myself. Was that really love? Ren made me feel happy and sure of myself. But was that enough? I didn't know. I never knew everything. 

But deep down I did know one thing. One horrible thing.

There was no point in going to Ren tomorrow.

I could feel it in his desperate kisses and the way he held me close.

If kissing was a language, he'd be saying goodbye over and over again.

 

"I'm sorry.

I'm sorry.

So sorry.

So sorry.

Goodbye.

Goodbye."