Catching Tears

Deliria High: The Dance Partner

 

The next week was a one week holiday.

That meant no classes all day and no reason to be followed around by the Nu’est boys.

But of course the protection carried on.

On Wednesday, we all planned to go into the town for the day.

“We can eat in a restaurant.” Baekho clapped his hands with glee.

“Is food all you think about?” I rolled my eyes. Baekho scrunched up his face, thinking carefully.

“No I’m pretty sure I think about other things.” He said finally.

We all shook our heads in despair.

We were all sitting in the canteen. As it was the holidays it was quite busy

“Have you guys been to the town before?” I asked.

“Yes, we normally go every holiday.” Minhyun replied.

“But with the talent show coming up, we haven’t really had time.” Ren said sadly.

“But we’ll make up for it tomorrow.” Aron grinned.

“Let’s hope it’s a nice day.” HyeSu sighed, looking out of the rain stained windows.

At that moment, Su-Ji and her usual gang passed by our table. JR instantly put his arm around my shoulder protectively and stared stonily at Su-Ji.

“You know JR,” Su-Ji began, batting her eyelashes. “You don’t have to sit with these loosers. There’s always space at our table.”

HyeSu snorted.

“Thanks Su-Ji.” JR said calmly. He stood up and made as if to follow her to her table. My jaw fell open.

He wasn’t seriously going to go with her.

“On second thoughts,” JR sat down again. “When I want to sit with an annoying immature girl like you, I’ll be sure to pass by your table.”

Our table laughed but Su-Ji’s face blazed red.

“Just wait.” She hissed. “You just wait.”

She led her group to the table beside us. They began to talk in stage whispers about what a bunch of ‘loosers’ we were.

“So immature.” I rolled my eyes. Aron did such an imitation of Su-Ji batting her eyelashes at JR that made HyeSu spit out her water with laughter.

“What time are we going out tomorrow?” JR said.

“Not too early.” Aron grumbled. “I hate mornings.”

We sat finalising all the details until JR decided it was time for his group to practice.

As we were getting up to leave, Su-Ji came back past our table.
“Have fun going out tomorrow.” She called sweetly before walking away. We looked at each other, frowning.

“What did she mean by that?” Ren said slowly.

“Who knows.” HyeSu shrugged. “Why do you even bother to try and figure out what she means by anything. She never makes any sense.”

------------------

Tomorrow, HyeSu, Nu’est and I left out bright and early, despite Aron’s protest, and took the subway to town.

Once there, Ren immediately ran over to the toy store.

“Look Minnie, there’s a remote controlled aeroplane. It actually flies!” He cried to me, pointing madly.

“Has someone actually checked his birth certificate to see if he’s really 16 years old.” I murmured to Baekho. He grinned fondly at Ren as he tried out the remote controlled aeroplane.

“Well we usually keep it a secret but he’s actually 12.” Baekho teased.

“Waa look Minjae!” HyeSu called from the music store. “Look at these headphones! But they’re so expensive.”

“HyeSu they’re huge!” I said, “They’re practically the size of your head. Which means they must be pretty big.”

“You know what, I think I will get them so I can stuff them down your throat.” HyeSu grinned evilly.

“Oh yeah because I am so scared of you. Practically shaking with fear.” I scoffed.

HyeSu raised her hand as if to slap me and I involuntarily backed away into Ren.

“Be carefull Minnie.” Ren said softly, giving me a small special smile.

“HA! Not Scared? I think not!” HyeSu laughed, clutching her stomach. “Oh gosh you’re funny Minjae.”

“Go away.” I grumbled, turning away. My eyes caught sight of lots and lots of books lining the window of the book store. My eyes softened and I walked towards the shop as if in a trance.

Entering the store, I soon disappeared among the rows of shelves. The smell of books felt familiar to my nose and I sighed, content.

“So Minnie Minjae is a nerd.” Said a soft voice.

I jumped about a foot in the air and whirled around.

“Aigoo you scared me.” I lightly punched JR on the arm. He smiled apologetically and leant against the book case.

“I’m not a nerd actually.” I sniffed. “The smell of books just reminds me of my Umma.”

“You never talk about her.” JR said. I could tell he was waiting for me to say something.

“I guess we don’t really get on anymore.” I sighed deeply. “I guess she’s just a busy person and she doesn’t have enough time for me.”

JR’s face softened and he reached over to take my hand.

“She used to read to me when I was younger. Back when she actually liked me.” Tears crept into my eyes and I blinked them away angrily.

“I don’t know why I’m getting upset. It’s not like I care.” I sniffed. “I mean, who wants a Mom who fusses around all the time. Who bakes cakes and wipes away my tears. Who gives me hugs and visits me.” Tears were falling freely down my cheeks now and I was getting more and more worked up. “Who wants someone who gives them presents, or has a conversation with their daughter.” I brought my hands up to my face. “Why doesn’t she like me?” I said in a small voice. “I try really hard to be a good daughter, to not be any trouble. She hasn’t rung me once since I got here. Not even once.” My voice broke and I began to sob into my hands.

JR pulled me towards him, wrapping his arms tight around me. I didn’t even know what I was saying anymore I was so heartbroken.

“I try and try to ring her every week and she never picks up. It’s like she sent me here just to get rid of me, to act like she doesn’t have a daughter anymore.”

JR my hair with one hand and my back with the other. I cried into his chest, letting out all the feelings I’d been holding on to. I clutched  JR’s shirt, eyes screwed shut as tears leaked out. JR murmured comforting words.

“Don’t worry Minnie, of course she loves you.” He mumbled into my ear. “How could anyone not love you, you silly girl. You have amazing friends that think the world of you. You’re an amazing dancer who’s going to have lots of fans when she’s older.”

I didn’t have any breath to reply. I felt as though my heart shattered more with every tear. Why doesn’t she love me, kept repeating itself in my head.

 “And I’ll always be there for you. I hope you understand that I mean it when I say I love you. Aish I feel so embarrassed saying this but it’s all true. I really want you to remember that. Even if we don’t end up together, and I know that’s a strong possibility that we won’t, you must always remember there is one person who loves you. Me. Now don’t let her upset you; stay strong my beautiful girl.”

I nodded, savouring his words. I couldn’t believe he was comforting me like this. Here I was, snivelling all over him, probably looking like a Halloween monster and he was still telling me I was beautiful.

I tried to stop crying.  JR stepped back and looked into my eyes. With the pads of his thumb, he gently wiped away the tears from my cheeks. Leaning close, he delivered a soft kiss to my forehead, and then my nose.

“Don’t cry anymore.” He whispered, nose touching mine. “I mean it. I hate to see you cry.”

I nodded and sniffed hard.

“I’m sorry I don’t know why...” I began but JR placed a finger over my lips.

“Don’t even apologize.” He said. “You’ve nothing to apologise for.”

“I’ve made your shirt all wet.” I said, gesturing to the wet patch.

“You think I care about a wet shirt?” JR rolled his eyes. He gave me another hug, rubbing my back.

“I don’t care about a wet shirt. At least I managed to catch every one of your tears.”

I ducked my head to hide my red cheeks but JR lifted it up again.

“You can always talk to me about anything.” He said seriously. “I’m always here for you.”

I nodded and smiled. “Thank you.” I said and I truly meant it.

-------------------------

 

Narrators P.O.V:

 

Su-Ji stalked along the shopping mall. She knew they were here. She’d heard them talking about their plans only yesterday. How stupid of them to be discussing their plans in public, she thought, especially when they’re are people like me, just waiting for the opportunity for revenge.

Out of the corner of her eye, Su-Ji spotted HyeSu playing around with Aron and Baekho. Ren and Minhyun were nearby, appearing to be looking for someone. Probably that , Su-Ji thought.

They’d have a hard time looking once Su-Ji was finished.

Since they’re nearby, that means JR and that girl must be too.

Keeping out of sight, Su-Ji kept her eyes peeled, staring into shop windows. She  was just about to walk up the escalator when she saw Minjae and JR exiting the book store. JR murmmered something to her and then disappeared off towards the toilets. Minjae stood looking after him for a moment and then wondered into a music store.

Su-Ji glanced at Minjae’s friends.

Seeing they were nowhere near Minjae, Su-Ji pulled out her phone.

“It’s time.” She said into the phone, smirking smugly. “She’s just entered the music store. Get her. But make it quick wont you. I’ll be waiting on the rooftop.”

Ending the call, Su-Ji put her phone in her pocket.

Poor Minjae, she thought, she doesn’t know what’s coming to her. And JR isn’t here to save her.

---------------

Long update! Hope you enjoyed it! :) <3