Feeding the ducks

Deliria High: The Dance Partner

-HyeSu's point of view

L and I trailed behind Sungyeol and Su-Ji all the way to the zoo.

The zoo looked more like a farm and seemed rather un organised. There were pigs roaming along the field at the corner. It was set on a secluded dusty road and as we walked up to it, a sheep strutted leisurely across the grass and disappeared down the road.

I clapped my hands gleefully. This was perfect.

“The animals are always trying to escape.” L said, shaking his head. “The zoo used to be nearer the city but people started complaining about animals running everywhere.”

“Isn’t that dangerous for the animals though?”

“I guess but they always return to the zoo in the end.” L laughed.

We entered through the gates and in to the zoo. L motioned for me to go into a little brown hut.

Once inside, I met the sight of 2 boys lounging against the counter. They looked up as we came in and gave a friendly wave.

“These are some losers,” L said dismissively, “You don’t need to know them.”

One of the boys with really cute eyes and fluffy brown hair came and slapped L over the head.

“We don’t need you to introduce us anyway.” Turning me to me, the boy smiled, his eyes curving. “I’m Sunggyu.”

“And I’m Hoya!” The other boy said. He had short dark purple hair. He took my hand and bowed over it respectfully.

“It’s nice to meet you both.” I replied, smiling.

“Choding texted us what he was planning to do.” Sunggyu began.

“Are you sure you want to go through with this?” Hoya said anxiously. “She could get really hurt. The animals can be quite unpredictable.”

“Did you hear what she did to my best friend?” I said bluntly.

“Well I heard the rumours but I didn’t want to believe they were true...” He said, lowering his head.

“Su-Ji got her brothers and his friends to take Minjae in to a forest, tie her to a tree and humiliate her.  They touched her inappropriately and tormented her and yes, they didn’t her, but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t mentally messed her up.” I felt tears start in my eyes. Hoya’s face paled and Sunggyu clenched his fists. L came over and put an arm around my shoulder.
“Well then, she deserves what she gets.” Hoya admitted firmly, Sunggyu nodded in agreement.

“Is your Uncle still here?” L asked.

“No, he went to the city for some business enquiries.” Hoya replied. “He should be a couple of hours.”

“Which should be enough time to show Su-Ji some of the animals.” Sunggyu winked.

“Where are the others?” Said L, moving to the window and looking out.

“I sent them out to do some cleaning.” Said Sunggyu. “You can imagine how excited they were. Especially Sungjong. He couldn’t wait to clean the horse manure from the stables.”

“I’m guessing your being sarcastic?” I titled my head to the side, chuckling.

“You guessed right!” Hoya laughed.

“Damn,” L hissed suddenly. Grabbing my arm, he me to the ground. I yelped as I clattered under the counter. L stood back up just in time.

“Hello welcome  to-” Hoya began.

“I heard her voice Sungyeol!” Su-Ji interrupted. “That is here somewhere.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Sungyeol tried to deny. “Hello can we have two tickets please.”

“Have you set me up?” Su-Ji questioned suddenly. I froze and gasped, clamping a hand over my mouth. “Is HyeSu here? Waiting for ‘revenge’.”

Oh God she’d hit the nail on the head. That was exactly what I was here for.

“HyeSu?” Sungyeol sounded baffled. “The girl who goes to our school? Why would I set you up?”

“Here are your two tickets!” Said Sunggyu. “Ah here comes our guide to show you around.”

From under the counter, I saw someone enter the room. His feet stopped right in front of me. I inched as far back under the counter as I could.

“I’m Woohyun, I’ll be your guide for today.” Said an excited voice. “Are you ready to have a rip-roaring time?!”

Silence.

“Let’s just get this over with.” Su-Ji sighed deeply.

Something clattered to the ground at my feet.

“Damn it I dropped the money.” Sunggyu said.

“I’ll pick it up!” Woohyun offered.

“NO I’ll get it!” L cried, but he was too late. Woohyun bent down to pick up the coins. His eyes widened at the sight of me and he jumped, banging his head on the counter. With a gasp he fell back clutching his head.

“What on earth was that noise?” Su-Ji snapped. I tried to make frantic shh motions with my hands to Woohyun.

“There’s something underneath the counter.” He gasped, pointing a shaking hand right at me. “A-”

“A SPIDER!” L shouted at the moment Woohyun said ‘girl’. L stamped his foot a few times and then took a tissue and scooped an imaginary ‘spider’ off the floor. “Caught it.” He said, slyly kicking Woohyun quiet.

“I hope there won’t be animals running all over the place.” Su-Ji said distastefully.

“Of course not!” Hoya said. “Our zoo prides itself on...”

“Yeah yeah.” Su-Ji interjected. “Whatever, let’s get this over with already.”

“Have a nice time!” L shouted, waving. After a few moments, he bent down and hit Woohyun on the back of his head. “What’s wrong with you?”

“What was that for!” Woohyun cried, fixing his glasses and standing up. I crawled out from underneath the counter and Sunggyu gave me a hand up.

“She was meant to be hiding and you nearly got her caught.” Said Hoya, shaking his head in despair.

“Hiding from what?” Woohyun looked at me properly. “OH! Is she part of the plan with Choding and L?”

“Yes!” We said together. Woohyun grinned sheepishly.
“Whoops, sorry.”

“It doesn’t matter, I didn’t get caught.” I smiled.

“Because of my quick thinking may I add.” L winked. I rolled my eyes.

“Yes yes Myungsoo, well done. We’ll we’d better get started then.”

Hoya passed me a set of keys.

“These will allow you to get into any of the animals enclosures. Woohyun will go with you to make sure everything’s okay.”

I nodded.

“Thank you so much for this.” I said genuinely.

“It’s the least we could do.” Sunggyu smiled. “Su-Ji’s been a pain for ages and no one has had the guts to stick up to her.”

“Well hopefully she’ll get her years worth of revenge today.” I said determinedly.

 

----------------------------

 

It didn’t take me and Woohyun long to locate Su-Ji and Sungyeol. They were at the duck pond. Sungyeol was feeding the ducks bread and Su-Ji stood there on her phone, looking bored out of her mind. She was standing right on the ponds edge. I glanced at the bread in Sungyeol’s hand. An idea formed in my head.

“Do you have any bread?” I asked Woohyun. He frowned at me. I quickly whispered my plan into his ear and he grinned.

“No but I can get some for you.” He said, standing up. He walked over to Sungyeol and tapped him on the shoulder.

“Sorry Sir but you can’t feed the ducks.”

“Oh,” Sungyeol mumbled sadly.

“I’m going to have to confiscate your bread.” Woohyun continued.

“But why!” Sungyeol cried in horror. “This is all I have to eat!”

“I’m sorry but if you can’t abide by our rules then you’re going to have to leave.”

“Yes!” Su-Ji said eagerly, “Let’s leave!”

“No no, it’s okay, I’ll give up my bread.” Sungyeol reluctantly placed the loaf in Woohyun’s hands.

“Thank you for your cooperation.”

Woohyun quickly scuttled back around the corner and towards me.

“I should be an actor!” He grinned.

I broke up the bread into tiny pieces and peered at Sungyeol and Su-Ji again. Fortunately they had their backs towards us. Taking aim, I carefully threw a piece of bread.

Perfect.

It landed just behind Su-Ji. Already, one of the ducks had waddled out of the pond to go and eat it. I quickly threw several more pieces.

Just as I had hoped, loads of ducks came out of the water, quacking and wailing. They crowded round Su-Ji, their beaks pecking at the ground. Before she could grasp what had happened, Su-Ji lost her balance.

SPLASH!

I pumped my fist, in a silent celebration.

“That was beautifully done.” Woohyun said admiringly.

I laughed at Sungyeol’s bewildered face as he glanced around him.

Su-Ji was slashing around in the pool, trying to approach the edge.

“DON’T JUST STAND THERE THEN!” She screamed, causing Sungyeol to jump. “HELP ME!”

Sungyeol carefully stretched his arm out and tugged Su-Ji out of the water. I sent a silent prayer of thanks at the state she was in. Her hair hung to her face like rats tails and her clothes were sopping wet.

“I want to go home RIGHT NOW!” She demanded.

“We can’t go home yet, you have to get dry first.” Sungyeol said. “Plus, what will people think if you walk around like that.”

Su-Ji stamped her foot like a little girl having a tantrum,

“Fine take me to the toilets!”

“Okay they’re this way.” Sungyeol said, leading her off. I could hear Su-Ji’s boots squelching from here.

“She’s going to the toilet. That’s perfect.” Woohyun whispered.

“Why?”

“Because the toilets are right next to the monkey enclosure!”

A slow smile spread on my face. I quickly thought of the next step of revenge.

“And these monkeys are extra weird,” Woohyun continued. “They pee like 5 seconds after having this weird thing called Minamino. It’s good for their diets, but it STINKS.”

“That’s interesting.” I said. If I squinted I could still see Su-Ji’s red hair in the distance. “I wonder what Su-Ji would look like with Monkey pee all over her hair.”

--------------

I bet you’re missing Nu’est right? Don’t worry I haven’t forgotten about them! The next chapter is the last chapter involving Infinite. Please comment and subscribe to let me know what you think <3