Safe and Sound

Deliria High: The Dance Partner

 

All of them were here, looking down at me with such worry in their eyes. Ren took my hand and pressed it to his face, making it wet with his tears. Baekho and Aron knelt down and wrapped their arms around me.

“I’m so glad you’re safe.” Baekho said.

“I thought we’d never find you.” Aron whispered.

HyeSu tried to fix my clothes and Minhyun returned with my missing shoe, fitting it onto my foot as if I was Cinderella. Finally HyeSu smoothed the hair away from my face.

“Do you think she needs to go to hospital?” Minhyun whispered to JR. I shook my head vehemently.

“I don’t need to go to hospital.” I said. “I’m fine.”

I managed to get to my feet, swaying like a drunken sailor. I would have fallen to the ground but JR’s strong pair of hands set me upright. My vision swam between reality and darkness, I was only half conscious, only half aware of the things around me. I felt myself being lifted into the air and then my head was resting against his chest.

“We have to get her home.” He said to the others. Ren took off his coat and laid it gently over me.

JR began to walk with me in his arms. He glanced down at me, and I saw that his face was wet.

“Don’t cry.” I breathed. I reached up a finger to try and wipe the wetness from his cheeks. He caught my fingers in a kiss, closing his eyes and frowning slightly.

Once he’d let go, he carefully placed his hand on the side of my face and my cheek until my nose was against his shirt and I lost consciousness.

--------------

The next time I awoke, JR was setting me down onto a sofa. Looking around, I saw we were in Nu’est’s room back at school.

“I need to go and get the first aid kit.” Minhyun said, walking into the bathroom.

Ren came and sat down beside me with his arm around my shoulder.

Baekho, Aron, HyeSu and JR stood huddled in a corner, whispering.

“She needs to go to hospital.” Aron said, giving me a worried glance.

“I don’t think she’s going to let us take her.” Baekho said, biting his lip.

“Don’t let them take me to hospital.” I whispered to Ren.

“But you’re bleeding. Your cuts may be infected and some may need stitches.” His eyes were full of anxiety.

I shook my head. “They’ll heal.”

“Why don’t you want to go to the hospital so much?”

“It makes me feel sad here.” I mumbled, touching my heart. Ren frowned slightly, confused. But then his eyes softened.

“You lost someone didn’t you? In a hospital.”

I looked away.

Sighing, Ren pulled me closer to him and rubbed his nose against my cheek.

“Fine,” He said, “We won’t go to hospital. I promise.”

“Thank you.” I whispered.

Minhyun returned with the first aid kit. He bit his lip, looking down at all the mess of blood on my legs.

“I really don’t think we’re going to be able to do this.” He said. “She’s going to need anaesthetic to numb the pain.”

“Well then I guess we have no choice, I’ll go and get the nurse to phone for an ambulance.” JR said, moving towards the door.

“No.” Ren said firmly. JR stopped and turned around. “We don’t go to the hospital. She doesn’t want to go.”

“Look at how much pain she’ll be in!” JR cried.

“I am begging you not to take me to a hospital.” I said hoarsely to him.

JR rubbed his face with his hands. With a deep sigh, he came and sat on the sofa beside me.

“Promise me we won’t go JR.”

“I promise.” He said softly after a while.

“I’ll do it.” HyeSu said, taking the first aid kit off Minhyun. She looked at me.

“Are you sure...”

“I’m sure. Just do it.” I said, closing my eyes.

JR took my left hand and Ren took my right one.

“Squeeze our hands okay?” Ren said.

HyeSu ripped off the packet of antiseptic and took out the wipe.

“Okay so this may sting a little...”

She placed it on a long gash on my leg.

Pain shot up my leg like it was on fire. Each movement of the wipe felt as if a nail was going against my skin. I couldn’t even squeeze their hands, I was in so much pain.

Baekho knelt behind the sofa and my hair.

I felt my body shutting down, everything turned into dots.

“Minjae? Open your eyes.” Ren’s voice sounded like it was coming from a tunnel.

“She’s falling unconscious.”

“I think she’s going into shock!”

“We have to take her to the hospital.” Aron said.

I shook my head.

No hospital. Please, not the hospital.