The Arrival

Deliria High: The Dance Partner

"You'll be alright won't you MinJae." Said Umma from the front seat.

"Yes Umma," I said with a cheery grin. She smiled back in the rearview mirror and then flipped out her phone. Within seconds she was in deep conversation with her best friend Yeonhee.

I sighed deeply and looked out of the car window. Trees and bushes blurred like watercolour as we drove along country lanes. With each tick of the car clock, a knot in my stomach increased.

South Korea's School of Performing Arts. That's where this little car was speeing along bumpy roads too. I wondered not for the first time why I didn't feel excited. I loved to dance, I lived for it, and this school was evidently the best place for me. I'd oftened day dreamed what the dance studios would be like, seeing my reflection in the mirrors, my feet stamping the laminate flooring...

I winced at a sharp stab of worry. Maybe it was because I thought the people would be better then me, that I would be a speck of dust among glowing jewles. Or maybe it was because I wasn't truly that good enough. I'd had my audition but I know that it was Umma who had got me a place here. She knew people who knew people who knew people and so one way or another, she was always able to get what she wanted.

I closed my eyes.

"No don't go to sleep Minjae." Said Umma. "Look out the window and you'll be able to see your new school!"

Part of me didn't want to look. I glanced anyway.

A stone building loomed above me. It was grey and crumbling and I would have mistook it for a ruin had Umma not pointed it out. It looked like at any moment, the stone would just crumble and roll down the hill.

I closed my eyes again.

"Doesn't it look authentic! How exciting."

I couldn't even reply.

All too soon the car came to a stop. Umma stepped out of the car and with a flick of her wrist, opened the boot.  I stepped out of the car.

Next to me there was a teenager and her parent:

"Umma I'll be fine, stop fussing."

"No I want to come with you to your dormitory! No arguments.

"Right." Said my Umma. "Here are your bags." She dumped them at my feet. "Can I leave you to find your dorm? I'm sure it'll be easy. I promised Yeonhee that I would go shopping with her. If I don't leave now I'll be late sweetie..."

I barely managed to nod.

"Chin up Minjae! I'll phone you sometime okay honey?" With a kiss on the cheek, she leapt into the car and sped away.

I turned back to the school. All at once the colour drained away from my face.

I was completely alone.

Taking a deep breath and blinking back sudden tears, I gathered my bags in my hands and struggled to pull my case.

I made it all the way along the tufty green grass and through the iron gates before it all collapsed.

My hands stung from holding all the bags and I flapped them up and down.

"Are you trying to fly or something?" Said a quiet voice.

I looked up. A tall thin boy stood before me. He had fluffy blonde hair drawn back into a bun and small dark intense eyes that peeped out from under his fringe.

"Uhm no." I said stupidly. " My hands hurt."

"Ah." He glanced down at the bags on the floor. "New student?"

I nodded and bent down to pick up my bags.

"I'll do that. You concentrate on the case" Said the boy.

I glanced sceptically at him. I couldn't see his arms through his long black jacket but I doubted he was very strong.

"Are you sure? It's quite heavy." I said.

He rolled his eyes.

"I'm sure I can manage." He said.

I shurgged,

"Kamsahamnida." 

 

                                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We walked into the main building of the school. Students milled around in groups. 

"What's your name?" Said the boy in that same quiet tone.

"Minjae." I replied. "And yours?"

"I'm-"

"Ren dongsaeng!" Said a deep voice. A smile lit up the boys face and he whirled around.

"Baekho hyung!" He said.

Another tall boy  jogged over to us. His dark eyes were crinkled into a smile. He had blonde hair styled into a sort of mohickan. He ruffled the boy's hair and then turned to me.

Annyeong-haseyo!" He said with a bow. " I'm Baekho!"

I waved, smiled and told him my name. He radiated happiness like a machine.

"New student huh?" Said Baekho, " I see you've met up with young Ren here."

"Young? I'm a man Baekho, please get it right." Said Ren.

Baekho bowed mockingly apologetic and then slung an arm around Ren's shoulder.

"You know I'm joking with you donsaeng!" He said grinning.

Ren rolled his eyes  but I could see the brotherly love he had for Baekho in his seious dark eyes.

"Are you two related?" I asked for they seemed so comfortable joking with each other.

Baekho threw back his head and laughed. Ren ducked his head shyly, shoulders shaking with laughter.

"Yeah." Said Ren. "Baekho is the family dog." 

I laughed as Baekho cuffed ren playfully around the head.

"I would make a cute dog though." He said.

"Please Baekho," Scoffed Ren, "Everyone knows I am the cute puppy."

They both turned to me.

"Which one of us would be the best puppy?" Said Baekho. Ren put his fist up to his cheek and rubbed it like a puppy, dark eyes wide and seriously cute. Baekho puffed his cheeks out and widened his eyes, a serious of high barks streamed out of his mouth.

 "It's too hard to choose." I protested laughing.

"She just doesn't want to say me and hurt your feelings Ren." Said Baekho.

"Go away Baekho, Minjae is my friend!" Said Ren, hooking his arm through mine and marching me away.

"What about her bags and cases!" Called Baekho.

"You're strong aren't you Baekho!" Ren replied over his shoulder.

                                                              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Where's your room?" Ren asked.

I dug around in my pocket and pulled out a scarp piece of paper.

" It says Room 4, block B."

Ren dragged me down a series of corridors. I was faintly surprised; I could feel the hard muscles of his arm through his shirt sleeve and yet at a first glance he'd looked weak. 

I definately shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

"Omo. Can't you guys slow down?" Baekho panted from behind us. 

"The exercise will do you good Baekho!" Ren said.

"When I catch you donsaeng..." Baekho mumbled.

"Here we are!" Said Ren. The light from the lamps over head made his spiky headband glint like a diamond. "I'm in room 8 so come and see us after Minjae!"

"Sure" I said warmly. Ren treated me to a lovely wide smile. 

I turned to the wooden door and unlocked it.

One glance into the room told me I had a room mate. My heart sunk at the thought of awkward conversations.

"I have a room mate."  I mumbled.

"Be happy you have one." Said Baekho.

"We share a room with 3 other guys." Said Ren peering into the room.

I raised my eyebrows. 

"Must be fun."

"You'll meet the others when you come to our room later." Ren said smiling.

"We'll leave you to get settled in Minjae!" Said Baekho. "See you later."

"Bye for now Minjae." Said Ren with a quick bow before Baekho took his arm and dragged him away.

                                                         --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I folded the last pair of trousers and tucked them into the draw. I sat down on the bed and looked around at the other side of the room.

My room mate was evidently not a tidy person. She (I could only pray it was a girl) had clothes strewn all over the bed and shoes scattered across the floor.  I gave a small laugh at the fit Umma would throw if she saw the state of the room.

Just then, the door flew open. I had no time to prepare before a girl hurtled into the room. 

"Oh!" She said looking at me.

I stood up and brushed down my shorts. 

"Annyeong-haseyo." I said bowing, palms sweating. I so wanted to make a good impression." Minjae imnida."

The girl looked at me for a moment, her long black hair tumbing onto her shoulders. She brushed it out of her eyes. Suddenly she let out a giggle.

"Annyeong-haseyo!" She said brightly. She threw herself on the bed. "I'm HyeSu! I take it you're my new room mate."

"Yes. I hope that's alright." I said anxiously.

"Of course silly." Said HyeSu. "It'll be great to have a room mate, we can have so much fun!"

I smiled back, a weight lifting of my shoulders. HyeSu seemed genuinely nice. Perhpas I could make friends after all.

"So have you met anyone yet?" She asked lying on her bed.

"Well I've met two boys. Ren and Baekho, do you know them?" 

"Ah, Nu'est boys." She said.

"Huh?" I was confused.

"Nu'est is a group here." HyeSu explained. "At the moment, they're one of the most respected groups here."

"What are they a group of?" I asked

"Well they're dancers/singers. There's Baekho, Minhyun, Aron and Ren. Oh and JR of course."

"Oh what's JR short for?" I said curiously.

"Junior Royal." HyeSu said with a grin. "I swear he could be royalty with his looks."

I was very interested.

"Do you like him?" I asked.

She shook her head.

"He's not my type unfortunately! But he's a lot of girls types so watch out Minjae!"

"I haven't even met him." I laughed a bit nervously. 

"You probably will soon." HyeSu winked. "If you've met Baekho and Ren already, it's only a matter of time before you meet the rest of them."

                                 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading! I'll update soon! Saranghae! :D ^.^