- 4 -

Revenge or Matchmaking?

Suzy’s life wasn’t easy. She just woke up and her parents weren’t there one day when she was 11. She was left with a whole load of money, but it couldn’t last her a lifetime. She met an orphan on the streets once who told her about the life of an orphan. It was anything but good. And the 11 year old Suzy didn’t want to end up like her, so she didn’t attend school, because she couldn’t afford it and she'd then need to turn herself to the orphanage. But no one really noticed either. Suzy was a nobody. She wasn’t pretty, but she wasn’t ugly, so she was an inbetweener. Sometimes, she even envied the attention the nerds got, however stupid it sounded. It didn’t really matter that she quit anyway. She was the child Einstein. She could do year 9 maths when she was 7 and by this stage she could make it into Harvard without hesitating.

She used her money wisely until she became old enough to get a job. So that’s what she did. Since she didn’t have the nerve to go to school again, so she never did. So, to keep herself occupied, she worked all day. Although she was overly tired and had to rush every morning, she liked her life that way. Suzy liked to help other people and because of her pretty face, she became a waitress and worked at a club in the later hours, because she was a teenager, and the job wasn't as bad as people had described.

She first got work at the café she particularly liked. It was well known for their wondrous coffee and cakes. The manager noticed that she was a regular customer and offered her a job. Suzy, who was looking for a job obviously said yes. Since the café was busiest in the morning she would work then and then work at a restaurant that was most popular in the afternoon because it was owned by the same manager. How did she get a job for the club? Well she just asked. And all the manager had to do was to give her a tight miniskirt and she was set.

Suzy’s friendliness rubbed on to many regulars at the café and restaurant. The people at the club she was either intimidated at to talk to personally or they were just y to put it simply. She got along with the ahjummas, the kids and even became friends to some people her age.

And that’s how she became friends with Fei and Min.

Fei and Min kept their word when they said they’d come to the place often. Suzy gradually got closer to them because she worked every day and at the same time as Fei and Min's arrivals. By then, she forgot all about ‘the player that went out thrice’, including the face of the girls.

“The usual Fei unnie?”

“Actually, I’ll just have a cappuccino today.”

“Coming right up.” Suzy beamed.

~

“Salad please Suzy-ah.”

Min smiled at her dongsaeng. She reached out and squeezed Suzy’s cheeks. Suzy slapped her hand away and glared playfully at Min and pretended to storm off angrily. When she was out of sight, Min laughed.

~

It was a coincidence that she met Jia. She was let early off restaurant duty, so it was too early to start work at the club. To pass time, she went to the nearby park. She sat on the same bench as Jia, who was looking dreamily at the sky.

“In love, eh?”

Jia snapped out of her daze and nodded slowly.

“In fact, this was the exact place we had our first kiss.”

“Well I wish you all the best with you and your boyfriend.”

Suzy smiled, bowed and put out her hand.

“Suzy imnida, what’s your name?”

“Jia. I hope we’ll meet more often.”

After their meeting, they met also every now and then with Jia in more dazes, which Suzy often just laughed at.