CHAPTER 10

Revenge or Matchmaking?

The day of the music assignment presentation got closer and Myungsoo and Suzy practiced their throats out. The teacher had to admit, they were a great team and she was looking forward to their performance. So were the students.

“The kingka queenka duet is today!”

“Look into the music room windows and watch!”

“They’re so cool together!”

“Suzy’s nicer when she’s around Myungsoo.”

“I know right! They should get together.”

Suzy almost puked at their remarks. Even though he had not gone out in the past few weeks, she didn’t like him still. And she was nicer around Myungsoo? Well she’d have to take care of that. But she could use it for her advantage and lure him into her trap.

~

The class clapped heartedly. When the teacher announced full marks, Suzy smiled.

Now I just need to get to know him more so he will fall in love with me.

Now I just need to get to know her more so she will fall in love with me.

~

After the music performance, Suzy and Myungsoo’s lives returned to normal. They didn’t speak to each other, both not wanting to seem too desperate.

Min sighed in disappointment.

“Aish! He’s not making a move on you!”

“Just act like you are now. I’m sure he’ll come around.”

Sungjong replied to Min's words and she looked at him reluctantly.

Sunggyu looked around the group in frustration.

“And where’s Hoya and Dongwoo gone again?! So annoying. They keep leaving us!”

Fei nodded at Sunggyu's comment in reply.

Woohyun however, wasn't listening to a word they were saying.

"It’s Jia’s birthday next week. What do you think I should get her?”

Everyone noticed that Woohyun went into the clouds when it came to Jia. He was totally in love with her. It was obvious Jia did too, but she didn’t want to admit it. Currently, Jia was at the library, studying for her test next week and she was behind.

Suzy thought for a while and she wpoke up with a suggestion.

“How about we go shopping together for her presents?”

The group nodded.

 “Well I’m not going to bother calling Hoya and Dongwoo. They seem to be ignoring us a lot too.”

Sunggyu scoffed, annoyed at Hoya and Dongwoo's random behavior,

It was strange how much they changed. A bit after Sungjong got them all together, Hoya and Dongwoo seemed a lot closer and always left the rest out, if that was possible. They would always talk in secret and avoid the rest of the group.

Sunggyu broke out of his thoughts when he heard an outburst from Sungjong.

“And I need to buy some clothes!”

Everyone groaned.

~

Sungjong gathered everyone at tables and began speaking loud enough for everyone else to hear.

“Groups everyone! Suzy and Woohyun are with me!...and you guys can sort yourselves out…”

Suzy laughed at Sungjong’s childishness.

Min patted Sunggyu's shoulder and beckoned him to come with her.

“Come on grandpa Gyu. Fei and I aren’t going to wait for you all day.”

Suzy was then pulled by Sungjong into shop after shop with Woohyun following, carrying a load of shopping bags with brand names on the sides. Woohyun suddenly stopped outside the jewelry store. Luckily, Suzy noticed his non-presence. Sungjong stopped stubbornly and they trudged in after Woohyun.

Woohyun looked from outside the glass dreamily.

“I’m going to confess to Jia. Think it’ll work out, Suzy-ah?”

“Oppa. Just do it already! She likes you!”

Woohyun failed at his attempts to hide his smile and held out a necklace.

“Do you think she’d like this?”

Sungjong rolled his eyes.

“Yes she will. Now hurry.”

He was impatient by now due to Woohyun’s constant asking of Jia. Woohyun paid for it and they left the store.

Once again Woohyun was left carrying Sungjong’s shopping bags as they went into almost every shop in the mall. Suzy finally stopped after seeing something that caught her eyes in the windows.

“I’m definitely getting this for Jia!”

She held up an expensive pair of headphones. But her smile dropped when she saw the price tag. Sungjong on noticing this offered to pay for half and share the present for Jia.

~

They heard the slow turning of the doorknob.

3…2…1…

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIA!”

They all jumped from behind the couch and Jia couldn’t hide her smile after seeing the surprise party in front of her.

Sunggyu looked at Jia in apology.

“Mianhae Jia. Couldn’t get Hoya and Dongwoo to come. They said they were busy today.”

“It’s ok.” Never liked them that much anyway.

Min brought the cake to the awaiting group with drooling mouths.

“Blow the candles birthday girl!”

Jia blew them out slowly and beamed at her friends as she cut the cake and handed out slices. She blushed when her hands touched Woohyun’s and she avoided eye contact.

Sungjong grabbed a handful of boxes and paper bags.

“PRESENTS. Open mine and Suzy’s first!”

Jia carefully peeled the wrapping paper with her manicured nails and her face instantly lit up the headphones in her hands.

“Thanks. Mine were stuffing up.”

Suzy smiled, glad that Jia had enjoyed the present.

“I noticed that. You said you got them three years ago.”

She looked at Jia sarcastically then laughed.

Sunggyu held out one of the brown baper bags.

“Here. My present.”

Jia pulled a woolen scarf out of the bag. It was purple, her favourite colour.

“Thanks Sunggyu oppa!”

She reached over to hug him. Woohyun scowled at the hug. Sunggyu on seeing this, hugged Jia tighter and Woohyun’s face turned bright red.

Min slapped Sunggyu's back, seeing him being so childish.

“Unnie. From me and Fei!”

Jia’s eyes widened at the dress in the box that Min gave her. It’d be an understatement to say it was beautiful. Jia continuously thanked Min and Jia until she realized someone still hadn’t given her anything.

“Woohyun oppa?”

Woohyun cleared his throat awkwardly and scratched his neck.

“Can I give it to you outside?”

“Sure oppa.”

The rest of the group gave glances and winks to each other. As soon as Woohyun and Jia closed the back door, they headed to the window.

“Jia-ah. We’ve been friends for a while now. But, I wish we were more than friends. I really like you, and I hope you do too. Will you be my girlfriend?”

You could tell the nervousness in Woohyun’s voice since he stuttered every few words. Jia didn’t know how to react at all, but she somehow knew that if she said no, that she’d regret it. A lot. Since she was still speechless all she could do was nod. Woohyun was over the moon of Jia’s reply and leaned in slowly, not wanting to scare her. Jia saw this coming so she closed her eyes and leaned in too. They kissed softly under the moonlight. When they broke apart Woohyun put a necklace around Jia’s neck. It was a symbol for Infinite.

“Oppa. You’re so cheesy.”

They both laughed.

“Happy birthday Jia.”

But the moment was ruined when they heard some giggling behind them.Woohyun looked like he was ready to kill.

“YAHH!”

Everybody else, seeing they were caught stumbled back inside to the living room.