A Huge Favor

Little Steps

 

Park Dongju was content. He had a beautiful daughter, Suhyoon, and owned a small business that was very successful. But today morning, things were about to change. He watched his daughter leave home and off to school, with her best friend Eunji. Moments later, he got a phone call. He looked at his cell phone, and saw that it was his very good friend, Kim Jihyuk. He immediately picked up.
 
"Hey Jihyuk! How's it going? How's Myungs-",
 
"Dongju.... I need your help," Jihyuk whispered. "Can we meet somewhere?"
 
"Um.... Yeah, sure..."
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Dongju opened the door to the bakery as the wind chimes quietly sung their twinkling song. The sweet aroma of baking pastries filled the air, and morning coffee was freshly brewing. A handful of people were already sitting at tables. Dongju looked around for his friend, and spotted him. Dongju sat at the seat across from Jihyuk, who looked tired, but alert. 
 
Jihyuk slowly looked up, and told Dongju his story:
 
"I'm really sorry... But I need you to look after Myungsoo. I'm actually in debt. My business was slowly starting to fail, and I was loaned millions of dollars from the bank. I can't pay it all back, though! They're after me, Dongju. I need Myungsoo to stay at your place. He's the only piece of me left; if anything happens to him, I know I won't be able to live. I'm really sorry.."
 
Dongju, startled by his problem, asked, "But-but- your business was so successful, more than mine. What happened?"
 
"Someone in the company betrayed me. I don't know who, but I just need you to watch Myungsoo. Could you do that for me?"
 
Dongju would do anything for his best friend. Myungsoo was like another child to look after. But how would he break the news to Suhyoon? "Of course, Jihyuk. I got your back."
 
"Thanks, Dongju. I owe you big time. I left a note for Myungsoo back at home, wrote down your address and told him that the needs to pack right away, and arrive to your house at night. I don't know when I'll be able to see you again, but I hope it's soon. Bye, and thanks so much. Oh, and could you tell him that I'll try to keep in touch? Thanks."
 
Jihyuk left the bakery, and into the cold. He had no where to go, but he needed to run. With the leftover money he had, he took a taxi to the airport, and left for America to hide. 
 
Dongju, on the other hand, went off to work. He knew that telling Suhyoon this would be hard, and he was scared of her reaction. But, it wouldn't be that bad, right? After all, they were acquainted with each other.............. 
 
 
 
They day passed quickly. Dongju went back home, and patiently waited for his daughter to come.