Chicken Porridge for Myungsoo's Soul

Little Steps

Suhyoon woke up on the couch next to Myungsoo. She looked at him, and noticed the drops of sweat dripping from his forehead  and down his neck. She touched his face, and felt the intense heat radiating off of it. She saw him shiver, even though he was burning up. He must of gotten sick from the harbor, she thought.

She thought. What did dad tell me to do when someone was sick? She couldn't take him to the hospital; he was too heavy to carry.

Medicine.

She ran to the kitchen, and opened the medicine cabinet. She scavenged the shelves until she found the cold medicine. She rushed back to Myungsoo, juggling a glass of warm water in one hand and two pills in the other. She set them down on the coffee table, and shook Myungsoo awake. "Myungsoo, wake up. You're burning up. Here, eat this."

He lazily opened his eyes, and slightly elevated his head. It felt heavy, and it hurt to move. 

Suhyoon quickly popped the pills in his mouth, one by one, letting him swallow a sip of water after sticking the pills in his mouth. Then he fell asleep.

Suhyoon couldn't remember what day it was. It was all a blur. She checked the calendar, and saw that it was Sunday. School tomorrow, she sighed. 

Wait! Winter break! How could she forget? 

Winter break was about a month long for her school. She was greatful. She could spend more time with Myungsoo without people gawking at them, and winter break gave him time to heal. 

 

A couple hours later, Myungsoo woke up. He still felt groggy, but he definitely felt better. He turned his head towards the kitchen, and saw Suhyoon cooking porridge for him. Myungsoo slowly got up to walk towards her. 

Suhyoon didn't see Myungsoo come towards her. Suddenly, she felt two arms wrap around her tiny waist, and a head slightly rest on the back of her shoulders. She turned her head slightly, enough to see that it was Myungsoo. 

"Why you up?" she asked.

"Because I wanna be with you," he answered. 

"You must be cold, go back to the couch and rest."

"No."

"You're stubborn, aren't you? Suhyoon laughed.

Myungsoo smiled, then planted a warm kiss on her cheek.

 

 

They both sat down to eat. Suhyoon had made 닭죽(dak-jook), chicken porridge. The rice was thick and warm, and the bits of chicken were like cute, fat stubs of deliciousness. Myungsoo took his first bite. Mmmm, he thought. It wasn't too hot, or too cold. The spoonful of the porridge warmed him up in the inside, but he still shivered. Suhyoon noticed, got up, grabbed a blanket, and wrapped it around him.

"Suhyoon," he said.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for everything." 

She looked up, and smiled.