When One Appears, Another Disappears

Little Steps

Kyungmin jumped back. "Good morning, grandpa!"

Suhyoon, whose back was facing the bed, turned around, and saw her dad's eyes open, staring at the little boy, then slowly turning to Suhyoon. 

"Daddy! Oh my goodness, appa, you woke up! Myungsoo! Nurse!" 

Myungsoo saw, and put Minah on the ground. He rushed over to Suhyoon's dad. Nurses and doctors came rushing in. 

 

 

 

 

 

They waited for hours. Suhyoon and Myungsoo were worried. Suhyoon's dad had went to the operating room. They were waiting in the waiting room, pacing back and forth. They had asked a nurse to watch over the kids back in their grandpa's room. 

 

A couple hours later, a doctor came out. "Surgery went well, and he's wide awake. He should have his memory back, but it's best if you explain everything from the start. Uh, let's see. Oh, and he won't be able to walk by himself for a while. And until he can, he'll have to stay at the hospital, and do daily checkups."

Suhyoon was relieved. 

"You can wait back in his room, and we'll bring him there shortly." 

 

 

Back at the room, the little family were waiting. 

They saw the bed being rolled in, and set in place. Suhyoon went to her father and held his hand, with tears welting in her eyes. "Daddy, you're awake."

"I know, sweetheart. And I'm so sorry.... Who are all these kids?"

"They're my kids, dad. You've been in a coma for a long time, since I was in the eleventh grade and until now." 

"You're married? To who?"

"Me," Myungsoo replied. 

Suhyoon's dad smiled. "I knew everything was going to turn out okay."
"Daddy, you missed our wedding. It was beautiful."

"I'm sure it was. I'm really, sweetheart." 

"It's okay. You want to meet the kids now?" Suhyoon held her oldest son, Kyungmin, and place him next to her dad. "This is Kyungmin, the oldest. He's three now, and always liked to visit you." 

Kyungmin gave his grandpa a big hug, and said, "You take a lot of naps, grandpa. You can take my naps, too!" Everyone laughed. 

Next was Minah. "This is Minah, the youngest. She's eight months old." She climbed on her grandpa's belly, sat down, and clapped her hands. Suhyoon's dad smiled, his eyes almost watering. 

He could remember like it was yesterday; when Suhyoon was a baby. 

"Kyungmin looks just like you," he said to Myungsoo. "And Minah's a spitting image of you," he said to Suhyoon. 

Suhyoon put the kids down on the ground. 

"Go home and rest now," Suhyoon's dad said.

"You just woke up, we should be here with you," replied Myungsoo. 

"No no, I want some rest. Go home, all of you." 

Both Myungsoo and Suhyoon were reluctant, but they did so anyways. They packed their bags, and tidied the room a bit. They picked up Minah, and called Kyungmin's name.

 

 

 

 

But he was no where to be found.